Am I allowed to log my own event?

Hi all just trying to get some thoughts on this.

I am hosting a WWFM event in a couple of weeks along with many other i am sure, but i was wondering whether i can log this as a find?

I am not going to claim FTF or anything like that, but it would be nice to include it in my finds as well.

just thought i would ask and see what the rest of you think or even if it is possible to log it as a find.

Just let me know one way or the other.

Thanks in advance

Some cachers will say that logging an attended on your own event is the same as logging a find on your own cache, their argument being that as you're the host you'll get the event icon in your profile for the caches you "own" and therefore you shouldn't also claim the Attended icon for actually being there as well.

I have pondered this long and hard. It has given me sleepless nights. I have sought and read the guidance given in the other forums. I have read both sides of the argument.

In the end I decided that the most truthful thing to do was to log an Attended...

Cos we did!

MrsB

"i aloud"?

This is a wind up surely?

It's not a wind up, and stop calling us Shirley!

Next time you want to take the "proverbial" out of someone for not knowing how to spell a word, please consider reconsidering. You are not perfect, of that I am 100% sure.... and I don't even know you!

"i aloud"?

Next time you want to take the "proverbial" out of someone for not knowing how to spell a word, please consider reconsidering. You are not perfect, of that I am 100% sure.... and I don't even know you!

If someone is helpful enough to point out a couple of errors who are you to criticise them? If one's errors are ignored how is one expected to learn? We learn by making mistakes and then having them corrected. I'm sure the "Lost One" was only trying to help.

To answer the original question, yes it is allowed.

"i aloud"?

If someone is helpful enough to point out a couple of errors who are you to criticise them? If one's errors are ignored how is one expected to learn? We learn by making mistakes and then having them corrected. I'm sure the "Lost One" was only trying to help.

OH PLEASE!! How on earth does that help?? To have said, you have misspelt and got your grammar wrong in your title. Perhaps saying it should be Am I allowed to log? Then that may be helpful, but still embarrassing having it pulled up in front of the community. But, Lost in Space hasn't been helpful one tiny little bit, he has just being openly rude and acting if he is better than others.

Some people on this forum really do require reality checks and stop being so full of themselves!

:(:):):anicute::D

"i aloud"?

OH PLEASE!! How on earth does that help?? To have said, you have misspelt and got your grammar wrong in your title. Perhaps saying it should be Am I allowed to log? Then that may be helpful, but still embarrassing having it pulled up in front of the community. But, Lost in Space hasn't been helpful one tiny little bit, he has just being openly rude and acting if he is better than others.

Some people on this forum really do require reality checks and stop being so full of themselves!

:(:):):anicute::D

Having looked at some of the OP's previous posts (which were grammatically OK and spelt correctly) and bearing in mind the recent thread on incorrect spelling and grammar, I too thought this was a bit 'tongue in cheek' when I first saw it. :D

Sheesh, so glad to see the pedants are alive and well ... NOT!

It must be great to be so perfect and have so much time to spare, that one can spend a while correcting others when the meaning is plainly clear and no need for clarification is called for.

Now to the OPs question.

Yep, in the case of events, I'd log my attendance if I have organised, as someone has previously stated, it is possible to set up and event and not attend. In the case of the WW flash mobs, where numbers are counted, all the better to log.

Each to their own really, I dare say there are those who think it's not cricket, but then again geocaching ain't cricket anyway! :blink:

<Having a quick look around to check there's nothing here for the pedants ... if I missed it first time, I'm still missing it! Move along now ...>

Well i think i was having a senior moment :blink: and the trouble with these forum thingy's thingies ( choose for yourselves) is that there is no spell checker and they are fairly live :blink:

Besides i might have been trying to shout about it :blink:

But the general census is that i can log my attendance and that is what i needed to know.

Thank you for all your positive feedback, and taking the p*** out of my smelling

Sheesh, so glad to see the pedants are alive and well ... NOT!

It must be great to be so perfect and have so much time to spare, that one can spend a while correcting others when the meaning is plainly clear and no need for clarification is called for.

<Having a quick look around to check there's nothing here for the pedants ... if I missed it first time, I'm still missing it! Move along now ...>

Sadly that attitude is symptomatic of the decline in standards over the past years. We all make mistakes, I certainly do, but I have always been receptive to having such mistakes pointed out to me. Teachers used to do it whe I was at school and since then empoyers, colleagues and friends have continued the process. I have never resorted to calling them "Pedants" and I think you should think before doing so as well.

Just because the meaning of something can be deduced doesn't mean that no correction is needed. A free for all in spelling can certainly lead to misunderstandings so correct spelling should be encouraged.

I applaud those who care enough to try and help others by pointing out their errors.

<snip>

Teachers used to do it whe I was at school ...

<snip>

Sadly this post is symptomatic of the decline in standards over the past years, and is a prime example of the lazy sloppy attitude of posters who can't even be bothered to read their ramblings before hitting the send button.

Maybe you'll be grateful for my correcting your posting, or you may just think I'm being an boring pedant.

<snip> We all make mistakes, I certainly do, but I have always been receptive to having such mistakes pointed out to me. Teachers used to do it whe I was at school and since then empoyers, colleagues and friends have continued the process. </snip>

...and all those you have listed above did so in such a publicly humiliating manner did they?

As an ex teacher myself, I know the value of having a "quiet word" but calling the shots in public as has been done in this thread is totally uncalled for, and indeed shows a general lack of care for ones fellow community member, and displays a complete lack of empathy for how they might now feel.

Sometimes, one has to weigh up in life whether or not the end justifies the means. The process is called discernment ... maybe your teachers, employers and colleagues overlooked explaining the value of it to you?

Indeed, I hope you are happy, feeling satisified in fact. I am appalled by your lack of understanding, but then, that's just little old me, still living in the land of live and let live.

<snip>

Teachers used to do it whe I was at school ...

<snip>

Sadly this post is symptomatic of the decline in standards over the past years, and is a prime example of the lazy sloppy attitude of posters who can't even be bothered to read their ramblings before hitting the send button.

Maybe you'll be grateful for my correcting your posting, or you may just think I'm being an boring pedant.

Yes I am grateful and no I don't think you are a boring pedant. By making the comments I did I fully accept the consequences of my error (i.e. public ridicule). It doesn't change the thrust of my argument that errors ought to be pointed out so that hopefully they do not become the norm.

Thank you and sorry. :rolleyes:

<snip> We all make mistakes, I certainly do, but I have always been receptive to having such mistakes pointed out to me. Teachers used to do it whe I was at school and since then empoyers, colleagues and friends have continued the process. </snip>

...and all those you have listed above did so in such a publicly humiliating manner did they?

I'll try to sit on the fence here...

I am also annoyed (no that is too strong - peeved?) by bad spelling and grammar but am also very aware of the public nature of trying to correct it in here. So how can you attempt to gently correct it?

An email takes it off line but part of the idea is to let other posters know, so as to attempt to correct the behaviour.

I would try to poke gentle fun - as in "Only Men Allowed" - but is that too critical?

In the end I generally don't bother - life is too short...

They pointed out the error at the time it was made and that was often in "public". In this case a mistake was made in a forum posting and the person who made the correction did so in the same place. I accept that the person pointing out the error did so in a way which was not the most tactful but at the end of the day we are all adults here and ought to be able to take a bit of gentle "ribbing" from time to time (just as I did from Marty Bartfast :rolleyes:)

I guess at the end of the day we will have to disagree - you are happy for errors to go unchallenged, I prefer to try and put them right. I trust we can both be happy with our respective approaches.

A forum for tech writers to which I subscribe has a version of Murphy's Law that states, "Every post in which one criticises the spelling or grammar of another will contain at least one such error." Looking back through this thread, I see it has few exceptions.

For those who don't know the profession, tech writers are among the most pedantic with respect to grammar and spelling. Yet even in that community it's considered bad form to criticise another's spelling and grammar in public. There is an alternative (pm) if you really feel compelled to educate someone making such an error. So such public admonishment usually comes with implied spite and says more about the critic than about his/her victim IMO.

Perhaps it's time to re-cast the above law for geocaching and call it "Signal's Law of Style Policing"? Having now invoked it, I wait with trepidation those that would criticise every tpyo etc. in this post :rolleyes:

Geoff

Large snip................but at the end of the day we are all adults here and ought to be able to take a bit of gentle "ribbing" from time to time ........................slightly smaller snip

Is that so, I wouldn't be so sure? There have been in the past young teenagers who frequent this forum and may still do so. Also there are also people who are the age of being officially adults* but don't tend to display the maturity that should go with their age!

*That's anything from 18 years old to popping your clogs from old age.

Have to learn to express yourself in a manner that the rest of us mere mortals are capable of understanding then, won't you?

As an ex teacher you should know that you cannot start a sentence with "Have"..........in the grammatical context you are using it.

Edited by Lost in Space

*******Things That Make Me Angry*********

#1 - Arrogant BNP'ers

#6 - Politicians who don't Give a F

#8 - Eastenders (the TV programme of course)

#23 - British customer service levels

#47 - Fulham FC losing

#48 - DNFs concerning ivy

#104 - Not enough sugar in my tea

#894 - misspelt words

:)

If you want my top 1000 please feel free to PM me. :)

Unfortunately, everybody with the exception of Pharisee, has misread/misinterpreted my original post.

Presumably that means you aren't exactly overjoyed at the fact that it has been highlighted in an open forum? So now you can sit back and think how an individual may feel about being criticised in the same way!

Wow! All those people jumping on the bandwagon to tell someone off for pointing something out. Incredible behaviour.

I suppose you are right, two wrongs don't make a right. :) However, as their context of the discussion is that it's 'OK' to publicly ridicule they won't actually mind will they? :)

Have to learn to express yourself in a manner that the rest of us mere mortals are capable of understanding then, won't you?

As an ex teacher you should know that you cannot start a sentence with "Have"..........in the grammatical context you are using it.

... because I was resting with the assurance that a pedant like you would be along at any moment to publicly correct it, and therefore do not have to worry about correcting or checking myself.

The omission of smilies is purely intentional.

The original question in the Opening Post has been answered. (I've logged an Attended on my own events as well.)

I am closing this thread because we have strayed into a place of bickering. I've also edited the topic title. I've been there and done that with many typos. :) No big deal.