Garmin Etrex data cable

kulashaker

Hi all,

First post, so please be gentle!

I have a Garmin etrex, and want to connect it to my laptop - are there any compatible data cables out there with a USB connection? I've been told that Garmin don't make them as they persisted with parallel connections for this model. Any help gratefully accepted!

Thanks,

K

i have one, but its only a serial connection and have tried a serial to usb converter to no joy.

Also doesnt like vista either so i have it connected to my daughters xp machine via the serial socket.

Other than that welcome along, a friendly bunch of people here who are always willing to help!!

Hi all,

I have a Garmin etrex, and want to connect it to my laptop - are there any compatible data cables out there with a USB connection? I've been told that Garmin don't make them as they persisted with parallel connections for this model. Any help gratefully accepted!

Thanks,

K

The answer to your question depends on which eTrex model you have. The original black and white eTrex line exclusively used serial comms for the cable. Most of the newer models (C, Cx, HCx) of various types use USB. As far as I know, the only current model that uses serial is the basic yellow eTrex H. I could be wrong there.

If your eTrex uses a serial cable, then that is it. You can't buy a USB cable for it, because serial communications and USB communications are two different standards, and they are not interchangeable. In the same way, you can't use a serial cable on a USB model.

With all that said, I seem to remember that some people have had luck with a serial to USB converter, but it's hit or miss. Do a search of this forum, and I'll bet you find someone who found one that works.

Good luck!

Hi all,

Thanks,

K

I bought a usb on ebay for my etrex (blue model) and it works fine you just have to download the driver for it.

http://www.serialgear.com/USB-Serial-adapt...s-mac-linux.cfm

has the driver but be warned I have found you have 1 shot to install it so read how to do it! I have 2 computers 1 which it worked on and one that I started with that I didn't read the instructions. I think I need to go into the registery and remove items for it to reinstal properly now. I have a cheap genertic cable. Etrex Vista. Its only a GPS since back then nobody added an r for reciever :rolleyes:

Edited by dakin55

We also have a Garmin eTrex (yellow model) and want to connect it to our laptop.

Have you found out how to do it yet?

From my research it appears that we need:

part 010-10206-00 (eTrex to RS232 serial port)

part 010-10268-00 (RS232 serial port to USB)

Am I correct? Would this work?

Thanks a lot, R.

Edited by raich

I bought a USB cable for my eTrex legend. The USB to serial adapter is built into it. Yes you need a driver (one came with my cable.) I was warned about the one shot to do it thing - and it is correct, sort of. The driver install is simple and automatic. If it doesn't work, just use System Restore to yesterday and try again. You can also use Control Panel to set it to whichever serial port you want it to emulate - I used #2. Be sure you have it set to the same serial port in your software.

Basically the driver is just emulating a serial port on the USB bus. The electronics buried in the cable keys your computer to pretend the USB is a serial port. From what I understand, the 'converters' do not work very well and the cable is the way to go.

edit - I got mine from www.kawamall.com and they were fast and very helpful.

Edited by Minimike2