Garmin Rino Caching

MYater

First off I do not currently have a Garmin Rino, but I know about half a dozen guys at work that do have them. I have looked through the forums for any question like this with no results that helped.

After talking to them about their use while they were out hunting, they all said that their brand new units that had nothing loaded on them, and they do not have a Geocaching account and only brought it up to me since they know I cache.

They all said that they setup the Geocaching feature on their units, and immediatly their units were populated with caches in the area. I do not believe that they were trying to pull the wool over my eyes, because one guy was let down that his unit was not populated with the same info.

So my question is, "Is there a FRS/GMRS transmission with cache locations inbedded in it?"

Again I do not have a first hand account of this, and they were asking me if I knew of any radio transmission that had this kind of data on it. None of them stated that they had downloaded any info from garmin or geocaching.com. I am just trying to get them an answer and learn something if there is anything to be learned.

Thanks for any constructive replys.

MYater

We use three Rino 530 HCx for geocaching and none of our Rinos has been "automatically" populated with caches. We download the caches from GC.com

You can send a geocache from one Rino to other Rinos that are on the same channel, We use that feature from time to time, but that is by far not what you are describing. We are only sending invidual geocaches from a Rino to another one. And that certainly doesn't happen automatically.

First off I do not currently have a Garmin Rino, but I know about half a dozen guys at work that do have them. I have looked through the forums for any question like this with no results that helped.

After talking to them about their use while they were out hunting, they all said that their brand new units that had nothing loaded on them, and they do not have a Geocaching account and only brought it up to me since they know I cache.

They all said that they setup the Geocaching feature on their units, and immediatly their units were populated with caches in the area. I do not believe that they were trying to pull the wool over my eyes, because one guy was let down that his unit was not populated with the same info.

So my question is, "Is there a FRS/GMRS transmission with cache locations inbedded in it?"

Again I do not have a first hand account of this, and they were asking me if I knew of any radio transmission that had this kind of data on it. None of them stated that they had downloaded any info from garmin or geocaching.com. I am just trying to get them an answer and learn something if there is anything to be learned.

Thanks for any constructive replys.

MYater

I think they're pulling your leg.

I was wondering if they might be, but they didn't realy have a reason to since they all just got their GPSRs and were playing with them to figure them out more than anything. Combine that with one guy who I have know for years not to be a jokester, and he was iritated because his would not populate like everybody elses, and it reduces the likely hood in this situation.

You can send a geocache from one Rino to other Rinos that are on the same channel, We use that feature from time to time, but that is by far not what you are describing. We are only sending invidual geocaches from a Rino to another one. And that certainly doesn't happen automatically.

I did read about the waypoint transmission, and I am wondering if they did something to read off of somebody in the area who had their unit loaded and transmitting locations. B

But I am going to test out the one unit which may be having other issues as well and I'll see what I can see...

Thanks and any other constructive comments are more than welcome.

Thanks,

MYater