Would you claim this smiley?

bittsen

Looked for cache. Found cache container with an unsignable log inside. OK, not really inside since the cover of the container was gone.

The log was basically pulp so not at all signable.

Had to climb up a fence to get the cache in the first place.

Took a picture of cache as evidence of the find.

Would you claim the smiley?

Looked for cache. Found cache container with an unsignable log inside. OK, not really inside since the cover of the container was gone.

Well...yeah, found the cache didn't you (ie...you are sure it was the cache...no question in your mind)??? Would have probably come up with something for a replacement log book...and maybe looked for something to replace the top if possible...

Log the find...and then follow up with a Needs Maint Log...

Edit: Just to clarify what I had implied...

Edited by ArcherDragoon

Of course. I've done so many times.

I've never felt the need to provide any form of evidence. Just posted the situation in my online log.

I assume that if it is that important to the owner, that he will ask for 'evidence'. Of course he won't get any and might delete my log.

Life can sometimes be very very cruel. ;-)

I claimed the smiley. Here's the log

Twoez and I were out doing some midnight caching. Montavilla park had been on both our radar for a while. Tonight was the night.

Despite the Needs Maintenance logs, it was time to get this cache in the books.

We looked and looked, saw some awesome sized spiders. Looked at the hint that made ZERO sense. Read the cache page a couple of times. Looked at the previous logs.

All a sudden, there it was. It was in the exact spot I had pointed out when we first started looking for it. OK, so time to get to the cache.

Twoez was saying his steel toed work shoes wouldn't get him up the fence so I was going to have to retrieve the cache. Yeah, like I can easily climb up there!

Note to self. You are not 12 years old anymore and weigh a little more than 100 pounds.

No worries. A small reluctance and then I was up for the climb. So, there I go up to the cache. A few well placed foot holds with my year old running shoes (that have seen very little actual running) and grasping with my hands. Yes, I can do it! I can get to the cache!

I got up to the cache only to find it was in worse shape than the logs had suggested. What I found was akin to a plastic bottle cap. I was prepared to drop the cache to be signed and have it tossed back up but couldn't see that there was even a log to be signed. I was a little disappointed at this point.

I decided that it was time to descend.

The descent was a bit easier. My foot slipped and down I went. Need I remind myself that falling never hurts but that sudden stop at the end can be a pain. Yup, I rattled a few things loose but I will survive (with a few pain killers) to cache again.

Could I leave well enough alone? No, of course not. I want this find!

So, I took as good of a picture as I could from the ground with a cell phone at NIGHT and am prepared to offer that as proof that I did, indeed, find the cache. Oh wait...how could I know without a logsheet in the bottle cap ooking thingy with the magnet glued to it? How could I ever know for sure?

Well, I found a different way to get to the cache and went up again. This time I felt a little more secure in the climb and was able to handle the cache with both hands. Guess what I found? I found that there was this pulpy looking thing pushed deep into the cap with the magnet glued to it. I could see streaks of ink so I KNOW it used to be a logsheet. I started to attempt to pull it out but it was disintegrating when I even thought of pulling it out.

I snapped another picture of the cache if you need to see it.

At any rate, this is my found it log. The cache was found and retrieve by twoez and myself. No signatures on the paper pulp but I will count it as a find nonetheless.

Thanks for the experience and the painful reminder that my youth is in as bad shape as the logsheet. It's history. Though the logsheet might be renewed, my youth is gone for good.

Now for some more Advil...

I followed it with a NM log. In a couple weeks, if it's not fixed, I will add a SBA.

Life is very cruel if you set out to make it that way.

I have no qualms about adding a signed piece of paper to the mushy log to show that I was there, and had found the cache. And then log NM.

Agree with the Dolphin.

Yeah, I should have thought about that while I was hanging at the top of the 12 foot fence.

Next time, for sure.

~LOL~

just last week i declined to sign a log that was still too wet even for my sharpie after i had squeezed out most of the water. hey, NONE of the signatures on that log are going to be readable; nothing remains of it but a pile of grey mush.

i do intend to log it as found when i get around to logging it.

i found the cache. i had the log in my hand. nobody will be able to verify that i or anyone else signed that log. it's simply too damaged.

I claimed the smiley. Here's the log

Twoez and I were out doing some midnight caching. Montavilla park had been on both our radar for a while. Tonight was the night.

Despite the Needs Maintenance logs, it was time to get this cache in the books.

We looked and looked, saw some awesome sized spiders. Looked at the hint that made ZERO sense. Read the cache page a couple of times. Looked at the previous logs.

All a sudden, there it was. It was in the exact spot I had pointed out when we first started looking for it. OK, so time to get to the cache.

Twoez was saying his steel toed work shoes wouldn't get him up the fence so I was going to have to retrieve the cache. Yeah, like I can easily climb up there!

Note to self. You are not 12 years old anymore and weigh a little more than 100 pounds.

No worries. A small reluctance and then I was up for the climb. So, there I go up to the cache. A few well placed foot holds with my year old running shoes (that have seen very little actual running) and grasping with my hands. Yes, I can do it! I can get to the cache!

I got up to the cache only to find it was in worse shape than the logs had suggested. What I found was akin to a plastic bottle cap. I was prepared to drop the cache to be signed and have it tossed back up but couldn't see that there was even a log to be signed. I was a little disappointed at this point.

I decided that it was time to descend.

The descent was a bit easier. My foot slipped and down I went. Need I remind myself that falling never hurts but that sudden stop at the end can be a pain. Yup, I rattled a few things loose but I will survive (with a few pain killers) to cache again.

Could I leave well enough alone? No, of course not. I want this find!

So, I took as good of a picture as I could from the ground with a cell phone at NIGHT and am prepared to offer that as proof that I did, indeed, find the cache. Oh wait...how could I know without a logsheet in the bottle cap ooking thingy with the magnet glued to it? How could I ever know for sure?

Well, I found a different way to get to the cache and went up again. This time I felt a little more secure in the climb and was able to handle the cache with both hands. Guess what I found? I found that there was this pulpy looking thing pushed deep into the cap with the magnet glued to it. I could see streaks of ink so I KNOW it used to be a logsheet. I started to attempt to pull it out but it was disintegrating when I even thought of pulling it out.

I snapped another picture of the cache if you need to see it.

At any rate, this is my found it log. The cache was found and retrieve by twoez and myself. No signatures on the paper pulp but I will count it as a find nonetheless.

Thanks for the experience and the painful reminder that my youth is in as bad shape as the logsheet. It's history. Though the logsheet might be renewed, my youth is gone for good.

Now for some more Advil...

I followed it with a NM log. In a couple weeks, if it's not fixed, I will add a SBA.

Nice log.

Last winter I found a cache where the logbook was soaked, and since the temperature was about 20F, a solid block of ice. We signed with a felt marker, but once spring came around, that signature probably disappeared because we signed as much ice as we did paper.

That cache is still waiting for maintenance. The owner has disappeared.

Frankly I'm interested in hearing more about why you climbed a 12' fence. Was that the only route of access?

It turned out that the 12 foot fence climb was one of two routes of access but both were pretty much equally difficult. I fell from the second one too but only aabout a foot so it didn't hurt much.

A couple of weeks? I get a kick out of all of these self appointed geocaching gods (small G for you god/nogod debaters :-). I can't wait until I finally get to cache Oregon.

Did someone pee in your Cheerios? You sure seem agitated lately.

It's an urban cache that has had a few NM logs. Urban caches have no reason why they couldn't be fixed in a couple weeks and a couple weeks is definately enough time for the CO to respond by temporarily disabling, if they aren't able to get to it.

Did someone pee in your Cheerios? You sure seem agitated lately.

It's an urban cache that has had a few NM logs. Urban caches have no reason why they couldn't be fixed in a couple weeks and a couple weeks is definately enough time for the CO to respond by temporarily disabling, if they aren't able to get to it.

Well, sure, it's not that I don't think the same thing. But I couldn't imagine phrasing MY philosophies as the gospel.

bittsen just can't seem to make friends in Minnesota.

While I wouldn't log a SBA in this situation, I don't see where he's proclaiming it as the gospel truth either. He merely stated what he's going to do, and never suggested that Thou Shalt Log A SBA After Two Weeks Or Thou Shalt Rot In Geocaching Hell.

I have friends in Minnesota, they just don't geocache.

As you said. I didn't lay down gospel. I am merely saying what I will do. I don't see why anyone would get all angsty over that, but it takes all kinds, right?

I'd log a find on that cache with no hesitation. I found several this past weekend that were unsignable. When I get around to my logging, (hopefully tonight) I'll mention the pulpy wad in my post. At least one of them had a decent ziploc around the pulp in the film can, and several of us were able to get some ink on the bag. It's not quite the same as signing the outside of the container. :blink: