Nano = Ruining the GeoFun

Breimh

I'm really frustrated, yet again. Another Nano has been placed smack in the center of a wonderful little in-city park that had potential to host at least three different caches within the same space. :mad:

For many of the people I know, and for myself, the fun is in going to a spot and seeking not a single cache that all you can do is write your name on a log, but locate two, three or even five caches within the boundaries of the same park and swap out swag to get something really cool or fun.

In the area I live, there are many little parks and way-stops that have a nice small nook or cranny to be able to tuck at least a small sized cache; but a couple of people in the area continue to snipe other geocachers chances of placing anything in these wonderful hidey-holes as if it's some sort of competition to have the most caches hidden within a given town. What makes it worse is their inability to place their nano at one end of the park, instead, they slap it down right in the center so that no one else can have a cache within the park because of the "528ft. rule" that continues to be stuck to with no regard for the cache sizes, when they were placed or even who put them there. I've tried to talk to these particular people on a couple of occasions, and I know others who have also tried to speak with them about it, but it seems our pleas fall on deaf ears.

If this were the case in your region you lived in and liked to geocache around, what would you do? ;)

...If this were the case in your region you lived in and liked to geocache around, what would you do? ;)

Well now, What I did was place non micro's and show them that it coule be done. For a couple of years micro's were on the wane and a scarce site. Then a new crop re-discovered the micro and hide them again polluting my area. Thankfully there are enough caches that I haven't done to where I can filter out micro's even locally and ignore them.

However that's what I can do. It translates into "have fun" with the activity. For me that's placing larger caches and avoiding micro's unless it's one that's worthy in it's own right.

In your case the first step is to let that anger go. Then go play nice.

If this were the case in your region you lived in and liked to geocache around, what would you do? ;)

1)Get out of town. Go to where the caches are.

2)Since you asked... I would have waited til I had more experience before I started counseling others on what makes a lousy hide.

3)As others have said, hide some yourself.

You'll notice what these three answers have in common: none of them are so presumptious as to try to "fix" the way others play the game.

You're welcome :mad:

1. What StarBrand said.

2. As much as I tend to filter out micros, for me, the fun is going to a good spot. Period. The cache type is secondary.

Enjoying the present moment is a habit that takes practice.

“Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” ~Voltaire

“The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice.” ~R.D.Laing

it sounds like it's really not the nano that's the problem, but the poor use of park space.

Yes, exactly! While so many others might say "just get out there and enjoy those you can." That's not really the issue. I've done the searches for nanos and micros and find it uninteresting in any way. The parks are nice, but again they're in-city community (ie: suburbia) parks that just have housing and playfields nearby, so there isn't a lot of nature to enjoy unless you want to stare at a trio of trees surrounded by a lawn and bushes. Still, the park would be large enough to place caches at any given end and leave room for at least one more to be put in there somewhere.

Others say, "hide yours there first". Don't they realize that just hiding it there and then getting the okay isn't going to guarantee they get dibs on a particular spot? It just doesn't work that way.

I've actually tried to talk with the two worst culprits of this type of domination of the grounds we should be sharing and got a really rude comment from one, while the other hasn't said a word. This is why I mentioned the situation here, to see what advice others might wish to give.

In your case the first step is to let that anger go. Then go play nice.

There isn't really anger, but a sense of annoyance that I've actually met Geocachers who are so inconsiderate, as well as being rude, too. When I first looked into this hobby, I was amazed at how nice the people were that I was meeting, no matter where I went. I still didn't join in doing caching regularly, myself, at that time because I felt that it was only a matter of time before the jerks and airheads would start getting involved and threaten to ruin the fun for me. While there have been a vast number of the latter to participate, I have only encountered a few of the former. So you might say it's also dismay that they've finally been spotted in the three years since I've taken an interest in geocaching... and just after I was getting deeper into it, too. ;) Three years is a long time to finally run into such ill mannered types.

As for playing nice, I'm trying to do so, but it seems you missed the point. It wasn't about no longer having fun or me not being able to play nice with others. It was about people sticking a nano - of all the sizes of caches, it's always nanos - in the dead center area of a small park instead of leaving a bit of room on one end or another for someone to place another cache. That's not only disheartening to see, it's taking away the fun for some of us who like caches that aren't just the type where you sign your name and walk along with a spring in your step like you've done something amazing.

The least they could do is make it a puzzle, or part of a multi-cache if they're going to do something so self-centered and egotistical. It would be no different than me walking into your bedroom and planting a flag in the middle of your bed while you were away from home, in many respects, rather than just putting an "Elect Joe Josephs for Mayor" on the parking strip of your front yard.

It would be no different than me walking into your bedroom and planting a flag in the middle of your bed while you were away from home,

No really, it is very different. You do sound angry.

This wouldn't bother me at all. You should have placed the 4 hides yourself. I'd rather have one nice location (size irrelevant) with a cache in the center of a park than 4 caches squeezed in amongst the edges along the fence.

Log the find, and go hunt elsewhere. One day the cache may go, and you can go hide your 4.

I'm really frustrated, yet again. Another Nano has been placed smack in the center of a wonderful little in-city park that had potential to host at least three different caches within the same space. :sad:

For many of the people I know, and for myself, the fun is in going to a spot and seeking not a single cache that all you can do is write your name on a log, but locate two, three or even five caches within the boundaries of the same park and swap out swag to get something really cool or fun.

In the area I live, there are many little parks and way-stops that have a nice small nook or cranny to be able to tuck at least a small sized cache; but a couple of people in the area continue to snipe other geocachers chances of placing anything in these wonderful hidey-holes as if it's some sort of competition to have the most caches hidden within a given town. What makes it worse is their inability to place their nano at one end of the park, instead, they slap it down right in the center so that no one else can have a cache within the park because of the "528ft. rule" that continues to be stuck to with no regard for the cache sizes, when they were placed or even who put them there. I've tried to talk to these particular people on a couple of occasions, and I know others who have also tried to speak with them about it, but it seems our pleas fall on deaf ears.

If this were the case in your region you lived in and liked to geocache around, what would you do? :signalviolin:

I happen to live in your region and my advice is to not get annoyed or frustrated because there are caches placed in ways that you find to be less than optimal. You have thousands of caches to choose from so it doesn't seem to me that it is worth the emotions to worry about a few caches you don't care for. What I try to take away from caches in neighborhood parks is the fun of being brought to those parks and having the chance to check them out. I try not to assert my values on other cachers as to what I think a cache should be. Sure there are many times when I feel a different container or location would have been a better choice, but that is not for me to dictate. I have control over the caches I place and the caches I choose to hunt. That is about it in this game. Hope you keep working on how to enjoy the game the way you like to play it.

Do these parks really have two or more compelling locations in them that are cacheworthy? Or, is the goal of bringing people to the park accomplished with the single cache?

As far as what would I do? I'd do what I'm doing now...I'm looking over Anchorage's online GIS, finding parks and trail systems that are currently uncached, and hiding ammo cans. It's fun to read logs like I've been receiving for the recently published Moen Anomaly cache.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

No really, it is very different. You do sound angry.

Wow, I didn't realize my psyche was a ticked off looking feline named Maingray, no wonder I want to boot felines who get under my feet and want to trip me up. :signalviolin:

Seriously, if you're going to read that much into the words I choose, then you don't know me at all and I'd rather you didn't offer a suggestion on the subject when it's not helpful in any real way. But thanks for playing.

I happen to live in your region and my advice is to not get annoyed or frustrated because there are caches placed in ways that you find to be less than optimal. You have thousands of caches to choose from so it doesn't seem to me that it is worth the emotions to worry about a few caches you don't care for. What I try to take away from caches in neighborhood parks is the fun of being brought to those parks and having the chance to check them out. I try not to assert my values on other cachers as to what I think a cache should be. Sure there are many times when I feel a different container or location would have been a better choice, but that is not for me to dictate. I have control over the caches I place and the caches I choose to hunt. That is about it in this game. Hope you keep working on how to enjoy the game the way you like to play it.

Thanks, I do love to cache, and I'd like to be able to eventually find a place to hide one of my own, too. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened because of the issues I keep running into with the sheer volume of nanos and micros that are being placed in the way they are. Sure, I can find the caches I want to get to, but I have to do a good amount of travel to get there to do so.

The emotion really does have more to do with the disappointment of wanting to be able to just walk down the road or ride my bike to a nice, nearby spot and enjoy a type of cache I prefer. I can't seem to do that, now that I've found the few that are located here. My hope is that within a year the tables will turn and these nanos and micros will either be upgraded to larger sizes or archived for others to get a chance to place something which my friends and I deem to be worth the hunt. :signalviolin:

Do these parks really have two or more compelling locations in them that are cacheworthy? Or, is the goal of bringing people to the park accomplished with the single cache?

As far as what would I do? I'd do what I'm doing now...I'm looking over Anchorage's online GIS, finding parks and trail systems that are currently uncasched, and hiding ammo cans. It's fun to read logs like I've been receiving for the recently published Moen Anomaly cache.

Many of them do have some wonderful nooks and crannies to explore, they're often "L" shaped, or stretch out for a city-block or two but are only as wide as an alley, yet still have gazebos or nice little fountains at one end or the other... and often both ends... of the park. My friends and I have looked at many and said, "there'd be a great spot for _____" only to find that there's already a nano or micro stuck right smack in the center of the park, in a spot where the trash cans are, or some tree that blocks the view that a bench would otherwise have, instead of on one end or the other where there has been some beautification and clear views of the shore.

OK, so you DIDN'T really want to hear anything that didn't involve changing the way someone else plays. But here are a couple I forgot. Notice they still don't involve changing anyone else. I'll post them anyway in case someone else is reading and really wants some ideas:

3)List your caches on another site.

4) This one was said already but it's good enough to repeat: "It's the location, not the container."

As far as what would I do? I'd do what I'm doing now...I'm looking over Anchorage's online GIS, finding parks and trail systems that are currently uncasched, and hiding ammo cans. It's fun to read logs like I've been receiving for the recently published Moen Anomaly cache.

Many of them do have some wonderful nooks and crannies to explore, they're often "L" shaped, or stretch out for a city-block or two but are only as wide as an alley, yet still have gazebos or nice little fountains at one end or the other... and often both ends... of the park. My friends and I have looked at many and said, "there'd be a great spot for _____" only to find that there's already a nano or micro stuck right smack in the center of the park, in a spot where the trash cans are, or some tree that blocks the view that a bench would otherwise have, instead of on one end or the other where there has been some beautification and clear views of the shore.

About all you can do once a cache is in place is to put a watch on it and be ready to place your own hide if one is archived.

Thanks, I do love to cache, and I'd like to be able to eventually find a place to hide one of my own, too. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened because of the issues I keep running into with the sheer volume of nanos and micros that are being placed in the way they are. Sure, I can find the caches I want to get to, but I have to do a good amount of travel to get there to do so.

The emotion really does have more to do with the disappointment of wanting to be able to just walk down the road or ride my bike to a nice, nearby spot and enjoy a type of cache I prefer. I can't seem to do that, now that I've found the few that are located here. My hope is that within a year the tables will turn and these nanos and micros will either be upgraded to larger sizes or archived for others to get a chance to place something which my friends and I deem to be worth the hunt. :signalviolin:

Unfortunately it seems you are letting your feelings about what caches should be placed in an area influence your opinion of other cachers and the hides they place. Sure it can be disappointing to see nearby caches you don't care for, but you really can't do much about it. You have already made a start by attending events and, hopefully, getting to know some of the local cachers. They are a great group. Over time you may be able to influence opinions as to what types of hides are preferable. I wouldn't hold out much hope, but you can try. Lots of cachers really like nanos. Lots of cachers enjoy most all cache types and appreciate having so many caches to hunt, regardless of the container.

OK, so you DIDN'T really want to hear anything that didn't involve changing the way someone else plays. But here are a couple I forgot. Notice they still don't involve changing anyone else. I'll post them anyway in case someone else is reading and really wants some ideas:

4) This one was said already but it's good enough to repeat: "It's the location, not the container."

Actually, I have read what others have said, and can see where they're coming from. But I do have a problem with the whole 528ft. rule that seems absolutely ludicrous to have for something like a nano or micro, as much as the problem with the way certain people will dominate an fairly good sized area just for that smaller-than-dime sized container.

While I agree that yes, the location is the key, and the container isn't supposed to be; people do like the idea of hunting for treasure, and many cachers get into it for that particular reason. Signing a piece of paper is not a treasure for many out there, sorry if you can't understand that. It's how my friends who cache are, and it's something I much prefer myself, too.

And at the same time, I feel that going to these places shouldn't just be to admire a view or the beauty of the place... that is part of it, to be sure, and an important part... but to have fun, too. And for many people that I know - including myself - fun is in finding "buried treasure". Consider it a poor man's holiday to the rich man's ability of being able to go diving for treasure off the coast of Sierra Madre. :signalviolin:

Actually, I have read what others have said, and can see where they're coming from. But I do have a problem with the whole 528ft. rule that seems absolutely ludicrous to have for something like a nano or micro, as much as the problem with the way certain people will dominate an fairly good sized area just for that smaller-than-dime sized container.

While I agree that yes, the location is the key, and the container isn't supposed to be; people do like the idea of hunting for treasure, and many cachers get into it for that particular reason. Signing a piece of paper is not a treasure for many out there, sorry if you can't understand that. It's how my friends who cache are, and it's something I much prefer myself, too.

And at the same time, I feel that going to these places shouldn't just be to admire a view or the beauty of the place... that is part of it, to be sure, and an important part... but to have fun, too. And for many people that I know - including myself - fun is in finding "buried treasure". Consider it a poor man's holiday to the rich man's ability of being able to go diving for treasure off the coast of Sierra Madre. :signalviolin:

I expect you will find that most cachers who stick with the game do not do so for the "treasure" aspect. The fun is in the hunt and the "X" factor that makes the game attractive to so many people of many backgrounds and interests.

But I do have a problem with the whole 528ft. rule that seems absolutely ludicrous...

Sooner or later I knew we'd get down to what this is all about :signalviolin:

The answer to your problem is to merely use preexisting objects (aka virtual elements) in these wonderful spots (e.g. fountains, plaques, signs etc.) to derive coordinates to a Final Cache location that is within the spirit of the Saturation portion of the Guidelines. Likewise, I've seen Puzzle caches that use a similar approach, but usually with a few more twists and turns along the way.

If you're really adventuresome you could always take a crack at developing a Wherigo Cartridge that takes a tour of your favorite spots and leads to some Final Cache like above.

Good luck.

Micros/nanos in the woods bug me...but that is just me. I'm one of those that think a cache is a cache is a cache...and I try to take the time to appreciate the different parts of town/city/country they take me to. I can see the OP's point, we have only hidden one micro between us...that one is mine and was used to replace a muggled regular cache. You may find that the hider changes that nano cache to a larger one at some point.

The best nano we found was camo-ed to look like a bolt....and fooled a shortie like me! But not Popoki Nui......

I can't recall the last time we traded anything - but we have bought ourselves some nanos. Not for the parks or woods though...........

Wow, I didn't realize my psyche was a ticked off looking feline named Maingray, no wonder I want to boot felines who get under my feet and want to trip me up. :signalviolin:

Seriously, if you're going to read that much into the words I choose, then you don't know me at all and I'd rather you didn't offer a suggestion on the subject when it's not helpful in any real way. But thanks for playing.

It's a bear. Kick one of those, you wouldn't even have time to "Beam me up" :sad:

Anyway, the 0.1mile rule is there for a reason, regardless of the size of the container. We truly would be over run with pointless caches if it wasn't there, and issues like over-the-top social trails off of woodland trails etc would be a real problem. Bide your time, if you have some incredibly good hide for that park talk to the existing owner again. I've willingly archived caches to make room for justified better hides, but I wouldn't agree to archiving for you if: 1) you just wanted to place more caches in the park 2) I had read this thread you started.

Decreasing the distance guideline for nano/micro sized caches would only serve to increase the number of nano hides IMO. Counter productive to your goal.

Each to his own is sort of the mantra of this hobby/sport, isn't it?

You don't have to look for any cache you don't want to look for.

You can even choose to ignore particular COs if you want.

The only annoying caches to me are the ones that have no point except to be rediculously hidden (like bison tubes shoved deep into a random tree branch, or something hidden under one rock in a pile of 1000 rocks, etc.).

The fun, for me at least, is:

- Cache Finder

: Exploring new areas around me that I never knew about

: Getting out and moving around instead of watching TV or sitting on the computer

: Indirectly connecting with people through their creative hides, their fun (and sometimes overly challenging) puzzles

: The "oh jeez" factor when I discover something new, either a new cache type or hide or whatever

- Cache Hider (new to me)

: Finding places I enjoy that I'd like to pull other people to

: Thinking of fun ways to hide a cache

: Enjoying the indirect connection with people when they find one and enjoyed it

Anyway, this is a great sport/hobby, especially for introverts. You get to connect with people without actually having to meet anyone! And you can have lots of fun in the process, either all by yourself, or with people who like to run around looking for fun things.

Edited by AbMagFab

...As for playing nice, I'm trying to do so, but it seems you missed the point. It wasn't about no longer having fun or me not being able to play nice with others. It was about people sticking a nano - of all the sizes of caches, it's always nanos - in the dead center area of a small park instead of leaving a bit of room on one end or another for someone to place another cache. That's not only disheartening to see, it's taking away the fun for some of us who like caches that aren't just the type where you sign your name and walk along with a spring in your step like you've done something amazing.

The least they could do is make it a puzzle, or part of a multi-cache if they're going to do something so self-centered and egotistical. It would be no different than me walking into your bedroom and planting a flag in the middle of your bed while you were away from home, in many respects, rather than just putting an "Elect Joe Josephs for Mayor" on the parking strip of your front yard.

Your heart and thoughts are in the right place. It's imposing on others fun with an arbitrary set of rules where things go astray. The rules make sence to you. If I go to the park there is likely a spot that will whisper to me that it needs a cache. That may be the center, one edge, or the parking area where a babbeling brook gets it's last gasp of fresh air before being piped and killed. Everone's muse works differently.

You can lead by example per StarBrands suggestion, and ignore the ones that aren't fun, and walk away from the ones that you weren't able to ignore. This is what you can control. This is where your power lies.

...But I do have a problem with the whole 528ft. rule that seems absolutely ludicrous to have for something like a nano or micro, ...

I agree here. The only need we have for distance is so you don't find one cache while looking for a different cache. Beyond that distance it's all just arbitrary.

That's why I ignore the rule. Not so long ago there was a cache along side the road. About 528' away was a cache behind the dog pound by the dumpster. The roadside cache was by an old structure. Not bad for a roadside cache. The dog pound? I"m not so sure. While looking for them I climbed a cliff, found my way into a nook in the rock face where the rocks had split. Nobody in the park, the road, or by the dog pound coudl see you. It was a truly nice spot for an urban cache. So I put one there and listed it elsewhere because that spot was worthy of a cache above and beyond the merit of a 528' rule.

Even though I generally don't pay any attention to the 528' rule it's a rare occasion when a cache worthy location is closer than 528' from another cache.

I've actually tried to talk with the two worst culprits of this type of domination of the grounds we should be sharing and got a really rude comment from one, while the other hasn't said a word. This is why I mentioned the situation here, to see what advice others might wish to give.

That would be my response. If you don't like my hides - don't hunt 'em - filter my username out of your selection of caches. GSAK does a great job of filtering caches.

Frankly, I think asking someone to hide something different than what they hid is quite pompass.

I hunt for all traditional caches, nanos to large - makes no difference to me if it's in a park or parking lot.

I try not to hunt caches where I live. I like to travel out of town and the trip to the area is 1/2 the fun.

The least they could do is make it a puzzle, or part of a multi-cache if they're going to do something so self-centered and egotistical.

I would rather it be a single-stage nano than either a puzzle or a multi, myself. Different strokes...

You call this hide "Self-centered and egotistical"? If that is the attitide that you approached the hiders with, then I have to wonder if that attitude was apparent in how you approached them, and may have had something to do with the lack of response you've had from them.

Found a brilliant nano on a tree in a country area today. A camo-ed bug, the size of my palm, was the host. It was a shock when I saw it, followed quickly by a shudder and laughter. It was reminiscent of a giant June bug - even our cats don't chase those. I suppose I can now say it is the hunt and finding the cache that is most important to me.

But, for a cache aimed at children/families we always try to leave something.

The emotion really does have more to do with the disappointment of wanting to be able to just walk down the road or ride my bike to a nice, nearby spot and enjoy a type of cache I prefer. I can't seem to do that, now that I've found the few that are located here. My hope is that within a year the tables will turn and these nanos and micros will either be upgraded to larger sizes or archived for others to get a chance to place something which my friends and I deem to be worth the hunt. :)

What I'm reading is that people ought to hide the kinds of caches you prefer or at the very least should back from hiding the kinds of caches they like to find in the hopes that someone else will hide some the you like or you will have a chances to hide the kind that you like.

Unfortunately different cachers enjoy different things. Some do actually enjoy finding nanos. And the cacher who hid one in the middle of the park may have felt that was the perfect spot for his nano.

The cache saturation guide is a bit of a problem. If you find a great spot to hide the cache you want to hide and it is 400 feet away from an existing cache you are out of luck. Now 528 ft is an arbitrary distance. It was selected with the ultimate goal of getting people to hid new caches in new areas and no to saturate one park with caches. Some people feel that 528 ft is really to close and that this should be a bigger number. If your spot is taken there is not much you can do. You can ask a cache owner to move their cache a bit, but if they really like the spot they picked they might not want to do this. You can watch the location and perhaps the cache that is blocking your location will be archived. Then perhaps you can place your cache. Or you can find other places to hide the kinds of cache you like to find.

This -> :( , is an icon of Signal eating ice cream. It came out of a thread where some complained that there were too many micro caches being place and that there should be some limits put on the number of micro caches so that there would be more room for small, regular, and large size caches. Eventually that thread degenerated into a discussion of what flavor of ice cream was your favorite. And that was appropriate. Because there are cachers that like different kinds of caches. If someone is hiding a particular size or style of cache it is most likely because they like to find these caches. Perhaps is because they know of someone else who likes to finds these. There is almost always someone who doesn't like that kind of cache as well or a least likes a different kind better. Most people who stay with geocaching learn to deal with this. They find ways to be selective in what caches they look for so that they can find more of what they like and less of what they don't like. There are certainly places like where the OP is that have fewer open places left to place certain types of cache. But so far there isn't really a better way to allocate the scarce locations other than first come first serve.

Can't we all just get along.....there seems to be alot of egos here...I thought this would be a great hobby, get a little exercise, and meet some NICE people....I am beginning to wonder....it seems from the posts that it is more about shooting people and their opinions down....I am sure I too will feel the wrath for my post

I'm really frustrated, yet again. Another Nano has been placed smack in the center of a wonderful little in-city park that had potential to host at least three different caches within the same space. :)

If this were the case in your region you lived in and liked to geocache around, what would you do? :)

What would i do?

I'd go find that little sucker and get me a smiley!

I have to admit that I do not like Micro or worse nano, however it must be realized that other cachers do like these, so why should they be penalized for their preference. if you don't like tiny caches don't look for them thats why there is a size in the cache description.

I do not usually go for these tiny caches, but I have made exceptions for some nearby caches. Mostly I don't intend to bother with them.

All of my caches are standard size and I have no plans for anything smaller, again that is my choice and I would not want :) other cachers to be deprived of their ability to make their own choice.

So live and let live and if the spot you wanted is already taken then move on, life is too short to worry about these things.

The whole point is to have fun. :)

Can't we all just get along.....there seems to be alot of egos here...I thought this would be a great hobby, get a little exercise, and meet some NICE people....I am beginning to wonder....it seems from the posts that it is more about shooting people and their opinions down....I am sure I too will feel the wrath for my post

You're confusing geocaching the hobby with the geocaching forums :)

...The least they could do is make it a puzzle, or part of a multi-cache if they're going to do something so self-centered and egotistical...

My self centered and ego driven caches are all about what my muse demands. I have never hidden a single cache for the entertainment of others. I do it because I enjoy it and it just so happens to entertain others in the process.

I am still new, and in an area where I am far behind the curve in this game. i have yet to hide a cache as I am still enjoying the hunt. I do not know you or people who hid the nanos in the parks you mention.

It seems they did get there first, and they enjoy that type of hide/find. I do not think this is a game where everyone will like the same thing. That would get boring really quick.

I think you have figured out what kinds of hides you would like, but do you want to hide them, or would you want others to do that for you. If you want to do the hiding, then seek out other spots where you can place some of your own. If you only want to find them, then sort your lists accordingly.

One nano or four other, in a small park it is probably still only one trip. And I would not follow Knight2000's advice as I am sure that would backfire quickly.