Account username with www.*****.com (Advertising)

weinema

Hi all,

one of my caches was logged by a user with the username is www.*****.de (**** is a placeholder).

The URL referes to a website which includes advertisement for a mediacl practice and a book.

Isn't this (more or less) forbidden?

Does GS not verify new usernames fe. for "www."

Hmm.....

What do you think?

Happy hunting,

Martin

Edited by weinema

If it's SPAM I'd delete their log entry.

It's not really spam. It's a real found.

Well, I'm not really disturbed and I will not delete the log(s).

But I don't like such "hidden" advertisement.

'Hope the user will not get "problems" in the future

(fe. deleted logs without waring).

Martin

Edited by weinema
What is it that you suspect is forbidden? That a username is a URL, or that a username is an advertisement?

I don't think the website would see anything wrong with either of those.

...that it's advertisement when pointing to an commercial website.

I think it's abs. no prob if the username is an URL and pointing to a private website.

It's the 1st time I stuble over such a username and I've got just a bad taste with it. ;)

Anyhow, I think most owners don't care and most users do not follow the link. :blink:

So... well...

Maybe needless to be discussed :mad:

Reg

Martin

Edited by weinema
What is it that you suspect is forbidden? That a username is a URL, or that a username is an advertisement?

I don't think the website would see anything wrong with either of those.

...that it's advertisement when pointing to an commercial website.

I think it's abs. no prob if the username is an URL and pointing to a private website.

It's the 1st time I stuble over such a username and I've got just a bad taste with it. ;)

Anyhow, I think most owners don't care and most users do not follow the link. :blink:

So... well...

Maybe needless to be discussed :mad:

Reg

Martin

Thanks for clarifying. It's been a long time since I signed up and don't remember what the terms for choosing a username were.
Using a commercial web addy is, in my opinion, crass. Is it in violation of the TOS set forth by Groundspeak? I'd have to search out an answer to that one. Probably the easiest thing to do would be to report the situation to Groundspeak and let them deal with it as they see fit.

I don't recall seeing such a clause in the TOS. I certainly agree it's in bad taste though.

Edited by Chrysalides