Help Please - Nuvi 550

iFlutterby

Good Morning! I am looking for some input on what program I need to download to get benchmarks on my Nuvi 550. Do I have to manually place the coordinates into my 550 or is there a program that will allow me to download benchmarks to my computer & then move them over to my 550...is there help out there for a newbie like me? Thanks in advance!!!

I use the Garmin POI Loader, available at:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

You can set up a file on your computer, and then the POI Loader will move the data to the NUVI. I do this very successfully using a program I already had, called "MapSource". But if I'm reading the website correctly, you might not have to purchase an expensive mapping program.

I saw this stated quite clearly at:

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2009/09/...poi-loader.html

Unfortunately, a critical link in this blog does not work. Try Google for information specific to your situation.

For instance: Here is a link which suggests building your upload in one of several programs on your computer (EXCEL, MS WORD, etc.):

http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/...m_poi_files.jsp

When I got my NUVI 205, I already was using two other GPS units (a IQUE-3600 dashboard unit, and a Garmin handheld). Neither has built-in maps. Maps are downloaded using a mapping program which I purchased from Garman. (It's called MapSource, but it has since been replaced by newer products.) I enter my station names and coordinates into the mapping program and download them to the dashboard NUVI and the handheld, so both GPS units are working with the same information.

The NUVI uses a .gpx format, while the handheld uses .gdb. This requires saving my data in two formats and doing independent downloads. However, it takes only a little time, and it is worth it. I let the dashboard unit get the car as close as possible, and then I head out on foot with the handheld.

If you are successful in loading the NUVI without having to purchase maps, be sure to report back. I know there are many other benchmark hunters who could benefit from your knowledge.

-Paul-

Edited by PFF

Here are sample POI's constructed in CSV. Note that LONGTITUDE is entered first. It has a minus sign (-) at the front to indicate WEST. The coordinates are in DDD.DDDDD format, which is an inconvenient extra step to convert from Geocaching.com and/or from NGS.

Creating .CSV Files top

POI Loader accepts .csv files that contain longitude, latitude, speed alert information, and optional comments. You can create .csv files using a text editor, MS Excel, or a similar program.

POI Loader assumes a .csv file utilizes the following format for each POI (brackets [ ] denote optional text):

<Lon>,<Lat>,["]<Name>[@<Alert Speed>]["],["] [comment]["]

Longitude and latitude must appear in WGS84 decimal degrees format (ddd.ddddd; negative numbers indicate West and South).

If you include quotes around the name or comment, you can include line breaks in the text.

The following are examples of Custom POIs in the proper format:

-94.79731,38.81099,Ridgeview@25

-94.74240,38.81952,Heritage Park,Perfect site for a picnic

-94.76416,38.81227,Garmin,"1200 E. 151st Street

Olathe,KS 66062

913/397.8300"

If you have a mapping program, it may do the conversion for you. Or, there are programs which extract data from GC.com and NGS, and the output might default to the correct format. It's beyond my area of expertise, but other contributors to this forum report that they utilize these on a regular basis, and they can assist.

-Paul-

Edited by PFF

Here are sample POI's constructed in CSV. Note that LONGTITUDE is entered first. It has a minus sign (-) at the front to indicate WEST. The coordinates are in DDD.DDDDD format, which is an inconvenient extra step to convert from Geocaching.com and/or from NGS.

Creating .CSV Files top

POI Loader accepts .csv files that contain longitude, latitude, speed alert information, and optional comments. You can create .csv files using a text editor, MS Excel, or a similar program.

POI Loader assumes a .csv file utilizes the following format for each POI (brackets [ ] denote optional text):

<Lon>,<Lat>,["]<Name>[@<Alert Speed>]["],["] [comment]["]

Longitude and latitude must appear in WGS84 decimal degrees format (ddd.ddddd; negative numbers indicate West and South).

If you include quotes around the name or comment, you can include line breaks in the text.

The following are examples of Custom POIs in the proper format:

-94.79731,38.81099,Ridgeview@25

-94.74240,38.81952,Heritage Park,Perfect site for a picnic

-94.76416,38.81227,Garmin,"1200 E. 151st Street

Olathe,KS 66062

913/397.8300"

If you have a mapping program, it may do the conversion for you. Or, there are programs which extract data from GC.com and NGS, and the output might default to the correct format. It's beyond my area of expertise, but other contributors to this forum report that they utilize these on a regular basis, and they can assist.

-Paul-

Thanku Paul...this is alot of info, I appreciate it! I will work on this & see what happens. Thanks again!

Mapsource is free from Garmin. It is the manager program for maps, waypoints, routes, and tracks. At least for the older units. I'm not familiar with loading POI.

The maps must be purchased and there is a hocus pocus needed to get them associated with the serial number of GPS unit(s).

Wow! That's good info from Bill93 and kayakbird. Meanwhile, since Bill93 reports that MapSource is free (if you don't purchase the detailed street-level maps), you could use it to manually enter a few marks that you will be searching for during a brief hunt. That way, the GPS unit is not "cluttered".

Another handy use for MapSource comes when using the NUVI for navigation during a road trip; i.e., using it for its intended purpose. [Gasp!] :( You can use it to "force" a route away from the normal track.

When going from Raleigh to the mountains, Mrs. PFF likes for us to take the back roads, instead of the stressful I-85/40 corridor running across the state. I enter waypoints along the targeted route and then download them to the NUVI. In addition, I throw in the coordinates of a park, waterfall, or other unique Point of Interest she wants to visit. (Off topic: Does anyone need the coordinates of the Bob Timberlake Gallery in Blowing Rock?)

Often, I obtain the coordinates of unique Points using GoogleEarth, where you can put the cursor over a spot and read the Lat/Long in the lower left corner of the screen. Some GIS sites provide the same service.

The original post asked, "Do I have to manually place the coordinates into my 550 or is there a program that will allow me to download benchmarks to my computer & then move them over to my 550?" The good news for NUVI owners is that your dashboard GPS is very "download" friendly. And programming it with a computer keyboard certainly beats tapping on the on-screen alphabet, in terms of speed and accuracy.

-Paul-

Mapsource is free from Garmin. It is the manager program for maps, waypoints, routes, and tracks. At least for the older units. I'm not familiar with loading POI.

The maps must be purchased and there is a hocus pocus needed to get them associated with the serial number of GPS unit(s).

Thank you! I am off to look...I thought I had searched out all the free downloads @ Garmin. I will check again. Thank you for your input & your help!

Wow! That's good info from Bill93 and kayakbird. Meanwhile, since Bill93 reports that MapSource is free (if you don't purchase the detailed street-level maps), you could use it to manually enter a few marks that you will be searching for during a brief hunt. That way, the GPS unit is not "cluttered".

Another handy use for MapSource comes when using the NUVI for navigation during a road trip; i.e., using it for its intended purpose. [Gasp!] :( You can use it to "force" a route away from the normal track.

When going from Raleigh to the mountains, Mrs. PFF likes for us to take the back roads, instead of the stressful I-85/40 corridor running across the state. I enter waypoints along the targeted route and then download them to the NUVI. In addition, I throw in the coordinates of a park, waterfall, or other unique Point of Interest she wants to visit. (Off topic: Does anyone need the coordinates of the Bob Timberlake Gallery in Blowing Rock?)

Often, I obtain the coordinates of unique Points using GoogleEarth, where you can put the cursor over a spot and read the Lat/Long in the lower left corner of the screen. Some GIS sites provide the same service.

The original post asked, "Do I have to manually place the coordinates into my 550 or is there a program that will allow me to download benchmarks to my computer & then move them over to my 550?" The good news for NUVI owners is that your dashboard GPS is very "download" friendly. And programming it with a computer keyboard certainly beats tapping on the on-screen alphabet, in terms of speed and accuracy.

-Paul-

I have downloaded GSAK that you directed me to. I was able to download a benchmark & then send it to my Nuvi 550. One worked out of 5 I tried...I think they are all there somewhere when I look in my files on my 550 but only one showed up readable in my GeoCaching area. I have not yet mastered this! Still working on it. I will try to see about MapSource. Thanks so much Paul for all your help here & your wonderful humor! Appreciate BIG!

More on NGS shape files. Maybe everyone knows this, but one of the colunms you get in the shape file is "FIRST_RECV" which is the monumented date. As far as I know DeLorme will only upload three CSV columns. Okie'sKid showed me how to combine two columns in Excel so the pinned map will show the PID and the first date.

Insert an extra column, key =, select the "PID" column, key &" "&, select the "FIRST_RECV" column; and you will have a formula that you can drag down the column, or use Paste Special, to combine all points and their dates. Note: there are two spaces in the above between the " ". You can use more or none.

This makes it easier to hi-grade for the old ones on a long trip when you can't possibly search for all. I will occasionally turn back for a metal WP, though. kayakbird

I think they are all there somewhere when I look in my files on my 550 but only one showed up readable in my GeoCaching area.

Try this sequence:

Tap the GO TO logo.

Page down through the choices to the very end. Look for EXTRAS (which on my unit is just after FAVORITES).

EXTRAS will take you to one or more files, depending upon how you set up the files in the POI Downloader. Yes, you can download multiple files at the same time. For instance, you could build one file of Benchmarks, one for Caches. Or, you could name the files by geographic area, such as "Tacoma", "Olympia", "Sammamish", etc. If individually constructed and placed in the POI Loader, these will show up as sub-folders under EXTRAS.

Assuming you find your desired benchmark in a file within the EXTRAS category, you can select an individual entry and use the EDIT function to change its category.

I, being lazy, leave the day's benchmark targets under EXTRAS. However, experience shows that if you want to keep a waypoint in the NUVI, you should change its category. Otherwise, it might get erased when you do a future upload from your computer.

-Paul-

Edited by PFF

I have used the Garmin POI Loader to write custom Benchmark files for each County near me.

The file is located under the Custom POI file in the menu page.

It took me a long time to figure that one out lol.

It was right in front of me from step 1.

I just happened to be zoomed in near a benchmark and there they were the Station and reference marks.

So I started looking at all my new bells and whistles on this GPS.

I find it now by (Garmin RINO 530 HCX) or like.

Hold in middle or rocker button to select

>Shortcuts.

Select >Find

Menu opens

Select >Custom POI

It will then give you a list of the nearest or you can change the reference to something else.

That is using the Map Source directions given in above posts.

Edit:

The zoom factor is low so if you are not zoomed it it does not show.

There is an option for that too by setting the map details on the map page.

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1