I forgot..

foxtrot_xray

Guys, I forgot the census on this..

I went to make an easy recovery, to fin JV2203. The location of the station was recovered easily - the stem hole and round disk imprint was easily visible in the top of the headwall.

FOr a vertical disk, would this be a destroyed, or recovered poor? I can't remember in this case. <_<

(I'll have pictures up tomorrow..)

-Me.

That situation could be logged as:

• Poor, if you are REALLY confident that that is the correct location AND the liklihood that there was a replacement, which was also beheaded, is very low.
  • Not Found, if you are NOT REALLY confident that it can be no other than evidence of the station you're looking for.

Never log destroyed on a diskless stem or obvious disk's hole, at least don't claim destroyed to the NGS.

Edited by Black Dog Trackers

foxtrot_xray -

Good point. It is true that diskless stems and even stem-and-diskless holes are not as problematic if they are horizontal control. However, there was a case with several posts on it (pun not intended ;) ) about a vertical control that was on a typical cement post mounting several inches high next to a railroad. The top half had been knocked off and was gone. Deb advised to log as found-poor anyway, even though it would be unknown how much height of the monumentation was gone. It was agreed that it was really really really Poor, but the conservative approach was what Deb advised.

If somehow it was the wrong thing found, the finder's coordinates help lead a surveyor to the item to see and evaluate for himself.

I can't find those posts on that one just now.

Cool, thanks BDT. I went ahead and posted it as a found here, and POOR to NGS (only because the previous loggers marked it as 'not found', when it IS obvious it's there. There's NOTHING there to mistake it for anything else.)

I put up pictures on it, too. I'm willing to put $100 down that that WAS the station, so hence why I went ahead and logged it. There's no cement post that was cut in half, and I doubt the bridge has sunk enough to warrant an error. :signalviolin:

I'm pretty sure that was the station, however there is something that troubles me about the description:

JV2203'AT WARING, MONTGOMERY COUNTY, ON THE BALTIMORE AND OHIO RAILROAD,

JV2203'450 FEET SOUTHEAST OF THE PASSENGER PLATFORM AND WATER TOWER,

JV2203'AT STONE BRIDGE 25-B OVER A CREEK, IN THE TOP OF THE NORTHEAST

JV2203'CORNER, 9 FEET NORTHEAST OF THE CENTER LINE OF THE NORTH-BOUND

JV2203'TRACK, AND 6 INCHES BELOW THE LEVEL OF THE RAILS. A STANDARD

JV2203'DISK, STAMPED P 34 1938.

The photo you submitted shows a concrete bridge, not stone.

Is it possible that the bridge has been replaced since 1938 and a reset placed there?

(Just playing the Devil's Advocate in light of NGS Surveyor's recent thread).

~ Mitch ~

I'm pretty sure that was the station, however there is something that troubles me about the description:

JV2203'AT WARING, MONTGOMERY COUNTY, ON THE BALTIMORE AND OHIO RAILROAD,

JV2203'450 FEET SOUTHEAST OF THE PASSENGER PLATFORM AND WATER TOWER,

JV2203'AT STONE BRIDGE 25-B OVER A CREEK, IN THE TOP OF THE NORTHEAST

JV2203'CORNER, 9 FEET NORTHEAST OF THE CENTER LINE OF THE NORTH-BOUND

JV2203'TRACK, AND 6 INCHES BELOW THE LEVEL OF THE RAILS. A STANDARD

JV2203'DISK, STAMPED P 34 1938.

The photo you submitted shows a concrete bridge, not stone.

Is it possible that the bridge has been replaced since 1938 and a reset placed there?

(Just playing the Devil's Advocate in light of NGS Surveyor's recent thread).

~ Mitch ~

Ah, actually - that IS stone. Huge, huge granite blocks. You can't see the bottom edge of the top stone in that picture, it's just off the bottom of the picture. In fact, the granite block UNDER the one with the stone has a very legible 190x date engraved in it. (I'll run back this weekend and get a shot of the side - I meant to get one of the year engraved in it.)

Gimme 'til Saturday night, I'll have a new angle phot of it. :rolleyes: