Tom Tom and Florida

HazelS

My parents are off to Florida again in a few weeks. They normally don't cache when they're there, but have decided to have a much longer stay this year and do some caching. They're happy driving in the States - they do it a lot, but are not happy with maps etc...

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy / aquire an upgrade / update for Tom tom?? They have a nice Tom Tom 1GB...

Or you can plug your Tomtom in and using Home select the map from the list of additional maps for your unit.

Then select the map you want in the options run it through Tomtom Home again and it will if the settings are right update the map. This way will cost around £30.

When they get to Florida switch to the map and off you go, bear in mind it will take a little while to sort itself out over there on the first start up but will then work fine. You in effect have two map files on your unit, the UK and the US maps so you will need to load your POI file into the US map cabinet.

Do remember that over there they have animals that bite so just tell them to look first before sticking their hands into dark holes <_<

Or you can plug your Tomtom in and using Home select the map from the list of additional maps for your unit.

Then select the map you want in the options run it through Tomtom Home again and it will if the settings are right update the map. This way will cost around £30.

When they get to Florida switch to the map and off you go, bear in mind it will take a little while to sort itself out over there on the first start up but will then work fine. You in effect have two map files on your unit, the UK and the US maps so you will need to load your POI file into the US map cabinet.

Do remember that over there they have animals that bite so just tell them to look first before sticking their hands into dark holes <_<

Or - unless they're driving from here to there - they could ask rent a car with sat nav......

We're taking the download a map option...

Of course I know they can rent a car and sat nav... but they wanted an extra $150 for this privelidge... I knew there was a way of getting the maps on their tom tom cheaply - I just couldn't remember what to do!!

Also - as I do their cache planning, I couldn't download the caches directly onto their hire car from Wirral... I'm good, but not THAT good!!!

Tomtom one is only $79 in lots of outlets in Orlando so that is cheaper than hiring one ;)

Yeah but they go to the States at least once a year... Mrs Sandiway Searcher is from the USA, so they go a lot, and so will get lots of use from updating the maps on their own... they're likely to lose a 2nd unit... I know, I lived with them for 28 years - I'm not sure where I get my organised genes from!!!

When they get to Florida switch to the map and off you go,

OK... we now have the whole of the USA on the tom tom as well as the UK and Ireland.....

Bearing in mind my parents are even dafter than me when it comes to technology, can anyone tell me how I should "switch to the right map"???

Edited by HazelS

When they get to Florida switch to the map and off you go,

OK... we now have the whole of the USA on the tom tom as well as the UK and Ireland.....

Bearing in mind my parents are even dafter than me when it comes to technology, can anyone tell me how I should "switch to the right map"???

HI Hazel,

Touch the screen, find your way into the main menu, then change preferences, round to manage maps, then switch maps and select the one you want.

Bear in mind you will have two lots of settings now on the Tomtom, you can set a different home in each map. When you create your Florida POI files you will need to save them inside the USA map folder, you will also need to setup warnings for when you are getting close to the caches.

When they get over there the Tomtom will take a few minutes to sort itself out, as it is a long way from home.

We too are off to US and Florida - looking forward to the sun. We have tomtom navigator 6 running on an IPAQ. Having looked at the tomtom site I am not sure what maps I have to buy.

Hazel - are your maps for a PDA and if so what did you actually buy?

Peter

From what I can see on the Tom Tom web site, you have to select Mobile Phone as the product, a few IPAQs are listed under there. Hopefully one of these is your IPAQ model. I have to do similar but select one of the Palm PDA's.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select...;SD=94&M=17 should take you straight to the page with the first IPAQ in the list already selected.

Hope this helps.

We too are off to US and Florida - looking forward to the sun. We have tomtom navigator 6 running on an IPAQ. Having looked at the tomtom site I am not sure what maps I have to buy.

Hazel - are your maps for a PDA and if so what did you actually buy?

Peter

I'm not Hazel but what the heck.

I use TomTom on a Windoze smartphone. When I bought the maps you could buy areas of the US and Canada (about £30 for each section) or buy the whole of US and Canada (which was about £40).

So far I've never made it further west than Tennessee and Kentucky but figured with those prices it made no sense to not buy the whole country. I travel to the US fairly regularly and don't want to find I've gone outside the tiles I've bought.

Yeah.... It was about £30 for the South East of the USA and £45 for the whole of the USA. As my parents go to Florida and Ohio each year, and I go to Washington DC, it makes sense that we bought them all.

For some reason Dad was convinced they'd not work when he got to FLA, but he text me like an excited child that "Jane Jane" (What we all call our Tom toms!) knew exactly where their friends live! They've used it out caching in the wilds, and all is well!

Phew!