Garmin eTrex Vista HCx

IdaLabs

I would like to be able to see the location (lat. & long.) of my destination and also my current location (lat. & long.) at the same time, on the same compass page. Is that possible? Is it possible to see both at the same time on any page?

The Change Data Fields option lists Location (lat/lon) and also Location (selected). They seem to be the same thing, which is my current location.

Thanks for any help.

I would like to be able to see the location (lat. & long.) of my destination and also my current location (lat. & long.) at the same time, on the same compass page. Is that possible? Is it possible to see both at the same time on any page?

The Change Data Fields option lists Location (lat/lon) and also Location (selected). They seem to be the same thing, which is my current location.

Thanks for any help.

I'm hoping someone got an eTrex Vista HCx for Christmas and can help me on this.

Thanks for any help.

Hi IdaLabs

I don't have your Vista HCx and my Legend C isn't handy right now. But the non-paperless Garmin units are quite similar across the line. None of my Garmins are able to display Destination coordinates, and I'm sure yours can't either. I'm curious why you need to see that. The last person I remember asking to see the current location coords and destination coords wanted to navigate to Ground Zero by following the raw numbers. Indicated it would be more interesting for them because it was a greater challenge.

As far as your observations of your HCx's behavior, if you were to set your UNITS to a format other than HDDDMM.mmm you would see a difference between "Location (lat/lon) and also Location (selected)". Also if you change the number of Data Fields from 3 to 4 you won't even see either LOCATION as a selection choice. Just file that under mostly useless info that is not in the Manual.

Edited by Cardinal Red

Thanks for any help.

Hi IdaLabs

I don't have your Vista HCx and my Legend C isn't handy right now. But the non-paperless Garmin units are quite similar across the line. None of my Garmins are able to display Destination coordinates, and I'm sure yours can't either. I'm curious why you need to see that. The last person I remember asking to see the current location coords and destination coords wanted to navigate to Ground Zero by following the raw numbers. Indicated it would be more interesting for them because it was a greater challenge.

As far as your observations of your HCx's behavior, if you were to set your UNITS to a format other than HDDDMM.mmm you would see a difference between "Location (lat/lon) and also Location (selected)". Also if you change the number of Data Fields from 3 to 4 you won't even see either LOCATION as a selection choice. Just file that under mostly useless info that is not in the Manual.

Well, actually, I would like to follow the raw numbers once I get close. Also, my husband is using a TomTom and is always asking me for the coords :anibad:

Well, actually, I would like to follow the raw numbers once I get close. Also, my husband is using a TomTom and is always asking me for the coords :anibad:

The only advice I can offer is when he asks for coords go to FIND and select the cache. Before you select GoTo you can view the Destination coords in the Location box. You can do this for any waypoint in memory at any time.

I have the Vista HCx also, and what Cardinal Red said is the only way I have found to display the coordinates while in the field (select the cache from the find menu and write the numbers down before you hit the "go to" button). I also bring my Tomtom along on some hunts because I like the Sirf chipset it has better than the Mediatec chipset that Garmin used in the Etrex vista HCx series (it does not drift!). It does add some challenge to the hunt by just using coordinates. Cache on!

There is a work-around one can do. By naming the destination waypoint with the lat./long. coordinates instead of using the waypoint label it has now, then you can display "Waypoint At Dest(ination)" in one of the data fields. Not quite what was wanted, but it's a way if that's important. You will be limited to 14 characters to label your waypoint's lat./long. coordinates though. (At least that's the limit in my eTrex Legend Cx.) Perhaps you can truncate the waypoint's label to the most significant minutes and seconds digits. It's not like you are going to walk over a full degree boundary within a reasonable amount of time very often, are you? Unless this is needed for something other than walking, then ... use a pencil and post-it-note. :) Hmmm... new marketing idea ... create a post-it-note pad (out of satellite-signal transparent material) of the right size with a small pencil-clip that handily mounts where the patch antenna is situated. :P

Edited by Keo1

The compass page shows you the direction you need to travel and the countdown to how many feet(yards, miles) you need to go to get to the point. I really can't see why that isn't plenty of information to get you to the the cache. Even in close. It it always pointing at the destination coordinates. Sometimes in close that shifts a bit as the signal strength and satellite config change but that will happen no matter which display youy would be looking at.