last 60cx update nixed sensitivity

EraSeek

I have noticed every time now since the last update to my 60cx (4.00/3.00) that it is no longer any good in the woods. I can't get a signal anymore. The Oregon400t is doing fine (3.20/3.70), but they have screwed up the sensitivity of the 60cx. <_<

This certainly isn't the case with my 60CSx. I applied the update when it first came out, and I haven't noticed any decrease in general sensitivity, in or out of the woods.

--Larry

I uploaded the latest chipset to my 60CSX about 2 months ago. Ever since then the gps is way off and it used to be pretty good. Now when I'm approaching a cache it will suddenly go from 40 feet away to 200 feet away to 75 feet away, etc. Now I can only find caches that are in really obvious spots or I have to spend forever in a big search area. Does anybody know how I can get it fixed?

I uploaded the latest chipset to my 60CSX about 2 months ago. Ever since then the gps is way off and it used to be pretty good. Now when I'm approaching a cache it will suddenly go from 40 feet away to 200 feet away to 75 feet away, etc. Now I can only find caches that are in really obvious spots or I have to spend forever in a big search area. Does anybody know how I can get it fixed?

If your 60csx is sirf version you can revert to last successful firmware 3.7/2.9. I did so and now very happy with sensitivity and accuracy. 2GB uSD limit is not problem for me.

If your 60csx is sirf version you can revert to last successful firmware 3.7/2.9. I did so and now very happy with sensitivity and accuracy. 2GB uSD limit is not problem for me.

Where do I get the old 3.7/2.9?

With all the postings concerning problems experienced following upgrades, why would someone update a GPSr that was working fine? Just because Garmin decides to change the software doesn't mean we need to use it right?

You do realize that only the tiny percentage of people who had a problem with the upgrade are going to complain about it, right?

With all the postings concerning problems experienced following upgrades, why would someone update a GPSr that was working fine? Just because Garmin decides to change the software doesn't mean we need to use it right?

4.x firmware supports 4GB MicroSD chips. My old 60CSX is running firmware 4.00/3.00s. No problems to report. Updated online using WebUpdater. Users have reported problems installing software updates from the download site. Update to newer versions preserves your unit settings. If you want to revert to earlier versions, you will lose your settings, so be sure to back up anything you want to keep.

My unit is only a month old and has 4.0 on it.

I am having similar issues, I cannot pinpoint any caches, they have all been way off compared to people that I am caching with.

If I revert to an older version of firmware, should I remove my micro sd card so that I do not have to re-load mapping software?

Or will it ride out the firmware change?

I am having similar issues, I cannot pinpoint any caches, they have all been way off compared to people that I am caching with.

If I revert to an older version of firmware, should I remove my micro sd card so that I do not have to re-load mapping software?

I think to remove micro sd card is not necessary, but if you worried about it, remove. Be sure to back up all your data, waypoints, tracks, routes and etc. Be sure that your 60csx is sirf version, because if it is MTK version, you cannot revert to 3.7/2.9 .

Edited by or-tracker

It's more likely to be something else, such as:

Have you check that you're using the correct datum?

Do you have WAAS turned off?

Do you have Battery Saver turned on?

Did you get a full almanac download?

[/quote

?? Last time you calibrated the compass ?? A simple compass re-cal might be in order. FWIW

I am always amazed how can people issue definitive statement like this topic title while so many other parameters may be the cause !

It's only my own experience. The gps by me is used in the city not often, especially in large, with tall buildings and narrow streets, but the result I got greatly surprised:

1. Firmware 4.0/3.0: track rides on the roofs of houses

2. 4.0/2.90: track jumps but slightly less

3. 3.70/2.90: - almost no jumps!!!

Time between testings is the same up to 5 minutes, the state of the sky (clouds, etc.) roughly the same, route the same.

These results is the main reason why I reverted to 3.70/2.90.

I am always amazed how can people issue definitive statement like this topic title while so many other parameters may be the cause !

It's only my own experience. The gps by me is used in the city not often, especially in large, with tall buildings and narrow streets, but the result I got greatly surprised:

1. Firmware 4.0/3.0: track rides on the roofs of houses

2. 4.0/2.90: track jumps but slightly less

3. 3.70/2.90: - almost no jumps!!!

Time between testings is the same up to 5 minutes, the state of the sky (clouds, etc.) roughly the same, route the same.

These results is the main reason why I reverted to 3.70/2.90.

Tests 5 min apart ?

If there was a real issue, many more people would have noticed it ! I have 4.0/3.0 and no problem ! But I don't expect to have good results when the satellites geometry is poor and not many in sights. Did you check that ?

And tracks have always been jumpy in poor condition like in cities. SIgnal is blocked and bounce in an erratic manner.

Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town working.

Forgive my ignorance on a couple of these items, but I have not heard of them before.

Also, I hope this is not too much of a hijack from the OP's question and that they will get some useful information out of it as well.

I don't know what is and isn't a correct datum. I have heard that term, but don't know what it is.

WAAS is Enabled. Is it more accurate to have it disabled?

Battery Saver is turned off. The GPS is in Normal mode. (I saw that tip in another thread).

This is the first time I have heard the term "full almanac download". Not sure if I got it or not.

edit to add: I calibrate the compass almost every time I go to the field.

Thanks

Edited by Bodaway

WAAS should give way more increased sensitivity.

Think of the satellites tracking you from space and how accurate they can be - 15 meters or so.

Now we add the assistance of ground based stations that help the space based and bam! We should see accuracy as close as 3 meters.

WAAS should make your position almost 5 times more accurate. I'm not sure how disabling this is going to enhance accuracy..

If it were me I would leave it enabled.

Edited by semajsirhc