Hey, this can be a dangerous hobby! LOL

Greysquirrel34

I was out today looking for a casch located in a hole rotting stump, found the stump but no hole anymore just three sides. I know it was the right stump as the description said it had brambles around it and this was the only stump on the trail.

As I was going back to the path my foot caught in one of the brambles and I fell face down on the path hitting my forehead and nose, there was some blood but I felt OK and just wiped the blood off my nose, I thought.

Walked about a quarter mile back to the parking lot and when I came out of the woods some people were there and asked if I was OK and did I need to go to the hospital, I said I was OK and went to my car, when I looked in the mirror I had blood all over my face as I had scraped a large piece of skin off my nose.

When I got home my wife asked what happened and just shook her head, washed my face off and all she had to do was put a band aid over my skinned nose. No real damage but it looked real bad with all the blood on my face.

To ad insult to injury, the casch had probably fallen out of the stump when the side fell off so I could not sign off or leave anything.

Glad you didn't get too badly hurt. Yeah, I tend to get careless when searching for the cache as well. I take a lot more time to evaluate the surrounding, obstacles, and look for likely hiding spots now instead of jumping right in and searching. Only took me one year to learn that, after picking up a nice collection of scars and scratches. I think there's a thread about geocaching injuries. Compared to some of the photos, I have nothing to complain about.

Glad you didn't get too badly hurt. Yeah, I tend to get careless when searching for the cache as well. I take a lot more time to evaluate the surrounding, obstacles, and look for likely hiding spots now instead of jumping right in and searching. Only took me one year to learn that, after picking up a nice collection of scars and scratches. I think there's a thread about geocaching injuries. Compared to some of the photos, I have nothing to complain about.

My buddy PMOGUY hid one yesterday called Cowhorn Mountain GC2061X. You really should read the cache page before even considering trying to go there. The pictures show why he hid it where he did.

Sometimes caution is the order of the day. Glad you didn't get hurt any worse.

Here is more unusual encounter I had on the way to Scotchmans cache (GC131EN) here in Australia.

On the way up the hill I was run over by a runaway Wallaby! I could hear a fight going on further up the hill between Wallabies probably over territory or maybe a female. At the steepest and narrowest point of the track I heard this Wallaby crashing thru the bush at top speed, next thing I know he is 10m away and coming down the hill like a runaway train. He saw me to late to really do anything, I squeezed to my left and he tried to swerve to the right but it was too late and he hit me in the side, I just had time to grab a handy branch as I feel flat on my... well let's say behind, he crashed into a thorn bush on the side rolled 3-4 times down the hill got to his feet somehow, stopped, looked back at me as if to say "what the heck are you doing here" and then went on his way. I can tell you there is nothing soft and cuddly about Rufous Wallabies they are hard as a rock all sinew and tough muscles, I have the bruises to prove it!

I was lucky enough, so far, to not have a serious injury (as far as I know) but tonight while caching I fell about 6 feet. Not too bad a fall if you are a kid but I ain't no kid anymore. I was lucky enough to land on my feet and my knees were bent enough that I didn't go down but it jolted a few things loose.

My back is screaming but I don't think it's serious.

What really makes me mad is the log was unsignable because it was so wet.

Gosh ! glad to hear you weren't too badly hurt, my only mishap today was treading in a cow pat because i wasn't paying attention to where i was stepping and of course this made the car stink on the way to the next cache, but by the sixth one the smell had faded , at the sixth cache i managed to sting both hands front and back on stinging nettles, (note to self, take gloves), i just got so involved with keeping an eye on the rapidly changing coordinations on the gps that i missed the nettles (and the cow pats lol.)