Does Anyone Realize...

eagsc7

... that the iPhone does NOT control even 1/2 of the Market Share of Smartphone users. Blackberry has a Larger lead. There are MANY news articles on Why this is the case, and I for one am asking why there has not been a OPEN API developed that programmers can use to seamlessly integrate other mobile communication devices.

The Steaks

... that the iPhone does NOT control even 1/2 of the Market Share of Smartphone users. Blackberry has a Larger lead. There are MANY news articles on Why this is the case, and I for one am asking why there has not been a OPEN API developed that programmers can use to seamlessly integrate other mobile communication devices.

The Steaks

Give it time. iPhone will have over 50%

I placed in the Geocaching for iPhone forum due to its Relevence to the iPhone and its Geocaching App. This needs to go BACK to the iPhone area.

BTW, I DOUBT the iPhone will get over the golden threshold of 50% until it is released to another wireless provider. As is, I can take my Blackberry to ANY wireless provider, and with a Flash, I can get service with their network. iPhone does NOT allow this functionality.

For this reason I ask this topic be returned to the "Geocaching for iPhone" forum.

The Steaks

P.S. Another recommendation, change the name of the "Geocaching for iPhone" forum to "Mobile Device Geocaching Forum." Then sub-topics for iPhone, Blackberry, PPC, and Others.

Not having a wide-open API keeps people coming to geocaching.com, which in turn gets eyeballs in front of ads. Premium membership alone can't keep the site afloat. A wide-open API would also overload the servers while everyone who thinks they know what they're doing with these things hammers the site with requests.

Moderator ping-pong.

This is a web site request, not a discussion of GPS and related technologies.

Actually, this is a iPhone issue. The iPhone software won't work on my BlackBerry!!!

That is the Real Issue

The Steaks

Edited by eagsc7

Moderator ping-pong.

This is a web site request, not a discussion of GPS and related technologies.

Actually, this is a iPhone issue. The iPhone software won't work on my BlackBerry!!!

That is the Real Issue

The Steaks

Sounds more like a Blackberry issue to me. Kind of like saying that Apple software won't run on a PC so it is a Mac issue.

.. that doesn't work on Verizon.

A large part of the reason Blackberry is successful is that the OS is somewhat closed. The phones can't easily be hacked, for good or bad.

So you make your choice when you purchase. I love my BB, but if Verizon supported the iPhone, I would probably switch. As is, I won't switch back to ATT..

..a

A large part of the reason Blackberry is successful is that the OS is somewhat closed. The phones can't easily be hacked, for good or bad.

So you make your choice when you purchase. I love my BB, but if Verizon supported the iPhone, I would probably switch. As is, I won't switch back to ATT..

..a

I have seen folks use Geocache Navigator on Verizon...sure mainly the Storm...but it is possible...

..a

I have seen folks use Geocache Navigator on Verizon...sure mainly the Storm...but it is possible...

I've heard that too. It might be the only BB that works on Verizon. I have a friend with a BB Curve. The app installs fine and runs great, but the GPS is locked down, so she has to ask what cache we're at and then search for it by name or GC number.

One of the brightest moves ever by Apple was to make App development easy. With over 75,000 apps to chose from, the iPhone/BB decision is pretty easy.

How many more apps would there be if Apple allowed the kind of open development that Palm and Android does?

This will probably come as a shock to you :(:):) but not everybody lives in the U.S.

In Canada, the iPhone is currently available through Rogers but in a couple weeks, all 3 national providers will offer the iPhone.

One of the brightest moves ever by Apple was to make App development easy. With over 75,000 apps to chose from, the iPhone/BB decision is pretty easy.

How many more apps would there be if Apple allowed the kind of open development that Palm and Android does?

This will probably come as a shock to you :blink::blink::blink: but not everybody lives in the U.S.

In Canada, the iPhone is currently available through Rogers but in a couple weeks, all 3 national providers will offer the iPhone.

So? What's that got to do with which apps are allowed to be offered to the public?

You might want to check which message you're replying to before you hit that Add Reply button.

This will probably come as a shock to you :blink::blink::blink: but not everybody lives in the U.S.

So? What's that got to do with which apps are allowed to be offered to the public?

You might want to check which message you're replying to before you hit that Add Reply button.

Forgive me Father for I have sinned. Was it a capital offense??

As long as you accept only service from ATT.

I do not.

I abhor ATT.

Thus the iPhone sucketh mightily.

Just jailbreak and unlock the Iphone and run whatever apps you want on whatever GSM carrier you want. AT&T might cry that you don't have service with them but congress and FCC say it isn't illegal. iPhone on TMobile for me.... :blink:

MYater

Edited by MYater

Is this thread going anywhere? It has devolved into discussion of iPhone carriers and thread titles and TMobile and and and...

We have just enough mobile devs to work on one, maybe two platforms at a time. Droid is coming out and it is exciting and new and open. Most likely we will develop an app for that next.

The Steaks

Time and more carriers. Without the latter, The dislike of AT&T will offset the Love of iPhone at a much lower market share.

From what I hear, TMobile is worse than AT&T.

You definitely heard wrong then.

But back to the point, the real issue seems to be that gc keeps developing apps for phones that are locked down to specific carriers, if every one thinks back a bit, they developed some sprint specific stuff too, that didn't seem to go over too well either (well except for the few sprint users out there).

I "might" consider getting a different phone to support a gc app, but I would NEVER switch carriers.

sprint-bad, especially interesting because I live in their "home town"

cingular (att, whatever you want to call them this week)-bad

verizon-mixed, although good data coverage

t-mobile-overall good, not a lot of 3g yet though

Seems as though gc has targeted the two worst carriers for some reason.

From what I hear, TMobile is worse than AT&T.

You definitely heard wrong then.

t-mobile-overall good, not a lot of 3g yet though

Maybe I should have said their 3G coverage was worse than AT&T.

If you look at CT where I live, there's only 3G around the capital, and a few cities. Their support/service might be good, but they have no 3G in most of the areas I cache. But, that said, AT&T has weak 3G in many of the areas I cache.

Other than that, I love AT&T. Verizon has by far the largest coverage area.

I think the point of the thread was an open API would encourage more development for smart phones--and any platform for that matter--and closing the door to other apps and platforms doesn't really make sense.

I agree.

There is a pretty good PPC-based app--that will not be named because it is a site scraper--that would do very well in the market if an open API were available.

When I say open API, I'm not talking about having the data open to everyone. You can easily put a password on it like the GE interface. The data could go both ways. The problem is Groundspeak is a business that is trying to run a hobby--and it shows.

Is this thread going anywhere? It has devolved into discussion of iPhone carriers and thread titles and TMobile and and and...

We have just enough mobile devs to work on one, maybe two platforms at a time. Droid is coming out and it is exciting and new and open. Most likely we will develop an app for that next.

Android is already out. Droid uses the same apps and market and platform as the T-mobile G1. (Android market)

There are a plethora of non-official apps for it already, but an official one would be great.

The Steaks

Time and more carriers. Without the latter, The dislike of AT&T will offset the Love of iPhone at a much lower market share.

Time, more carriers and a better constructed device.