Funny, crazy, silly geocaching adventures

ky.m.guy

I have an idea for a cache and I need some funny, crazy, silly, unbelievable (you get the picture) geocaching stories that you have experienced. It could be an unusual find, an embarrassing moment, really anything at all. Please post your stories here and I will try and use them in a future geocache that I want to create.

Thanks so much!

I had an adventure with my son. Here is a copy of my log:

September 1, 2008 by guiderchachi (155 found)

What an adventure! As the note from Find the Cache says, when my son and I got to the location and began looking for a way in to the cache, my son heard a noise. When we looked around, we were being surrounded by three kittens. After getting them away from the vans and back into the woods, we went to the SPCA. They gave us a carrier cage (I'm not a cat person so I didn't want them in my van but I wanted to help) and we drove back to the cache site.

It didn't take long for them to come running. We scooped them up, put them in the crate, and found the cache. We then delivered them to the SPCA where they will be put up for adoption.

These guys were dropped in the woods by someone yesterday or today. They are in good shape and healthy. I know I'm not supposed to advertise but, if you know anyone who wants a kitten, check out www.bayofislandsspca.ca

The cache itself was easy to find. Took a keychain, coin, and 3 kittens!, left 2 fake animals, signed log. TFTC

Guiderchachi and JWD

Well, I'd say this was the most fun event I've been to: Watrous GPS Scavenger Hunt Check out the pictures in my log for our fun poses! then we drove around on muddy roads in a 4x4 and cached for the rest of the afternoon - good times with friends, what more can you ask for!

I don't know if this really counts as embarrassing, but: don't lock your keys in the car when you're in the middle of nowhere Trying to make the person on the call line understand where I was was the worst part. Saskatchewan has grid roads, and I don't think they understood the concept. these are roads that occur every mile E and W, and every 2 miles N and S. they aren't named for the most part, but they are predictable. "the grid road coming south from the east side of Bradwell, go about 1.5 km and I'm on top of the hill." And when you say "I'm on top of the hill" to someone, they probably don't think of 'the hill' as 'the only hill' either. At least the tow truck driver was from a town not too far away...

After my recent event at Mount Snowdon in Wales, my pants (or trousers as they are properly called over there) were ripped to shreds. I still had 1 day of free "geocaching time" before I had to meet the wife on the other side of the country, so rather then have a good nights sleep in the car and attempt to buy new pants (while pantless) in the morning, I just cached across England all night without any pants, and arrived in the driveway early the next morning requiring a shower, change of clothes, and a few hours sleep... and some pants.

I was standing on a sidewalk in Anahein California looking for the Wall-E- Guard cache, I had little caching experience with several prior unsuccesful attempts (around Anaheim) so I wasn't really sure what I was looking for and at the time I only had a Nuvi275. I knew I was close though and was contemplating my next move when all of a sudden I hear this voice behind me saying HEY! I KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING!! I turn around and here is this lady stopped right in the middle of a busy road smiling at me, So I mubbled a febble "hello eh" back at her (thinking I was in some kinda trouble or something). She said she was the owner of that cache and to stay there while she flipped a UE and parked. As it turned out she was a wonderful experienced cacher who gave me lots of tips about caching, a wee bit of swag to take home and also took me to some caches around my hotel that I previously couldn't find! I still laugh today when I think about it and hope that I get a chance to do the same to some unsuspecting cacher sometime! What a great experience!!

Not really funny but to date, I have found two grow ops, a pickle jar full of marijuana and a fake hand grenade.

The first grow op was 50 plants placing the value at $50K. A low level flyover by CFOPP didn't reveal any other grow ops in the area.

The second one had been harvested and is now on a watch list for next year's growing season.

The pickle bottle was in the same log as the cache should have been. Some smuck was out a nice penny when he returned for his stash.

The hand grenade, while fake, was interesting in seeing how fast and with what assets Durham Regional Police can respond.