Mac Compatibility

My wife and I want to buy a new GPS, primarily because we want a Mac compatible

device without having to purchase a ton of bridging hardware and software. I know

there are Mac users out there that know. I have a G4 dual with 2.5G ram. I run

Leopard. I am going to buy a new GPS this weekend. My old one, etrex legend,

got the black line of death running down the screen and quits on me every 10 minutes.

Thanks!

:anicute:

Most software you're going to find that's been put out in the past couple years will be Intel-only. Your G4 has been put out to pasture as far as most developers are concerned.

If you are considering a Garmin, make sure you read the documentation for whatever software you'll be using VERY carefully. http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/index.jsp RoadTrip is Intel-only, for example.

en3chix's MacBook Pro is Intel, so (s)he won't have as much trouble finding stuff that works.

What software do you require on the computer? Depending upon that answer, some brands may be eliminated altogether, or may work well enough.

I was fortunate enough to have both my home PC AND Laptop die on the same weekend. Ended up buying an IMac and MacBook Pro. Unfortunatley GSAK does not work on the Macs. Any recommendations for a replacement that will communicate with my Colorado?

Just run GSAK in a virtual machine (Parallels is one, can't remember the name of the other popular one) on your Mac. There should be somebody in the GSAK forums that can steer you in the right direction. You've already paid for it, and know how to use it...why switch?

I was fortunate enough to have both my home PC AND Laptop die on the same weekend. Ended up buying an IMac and MacBook Pro. Unfortunatley GSAK does not work on the Macs. Any recommendations for a replacement that will communicate with my Colorado?

Just run GSAK in a virtual machine (Parallels is one, can't remember the name of the other popular one) on your Mac. There should be somebody in the GSAK forums that can steer you in the right direction. You've already paid for it, and know how to use it...why switch?

You are the third person to make the same recommendation. I think the other is "Bootcamp". Will Parallels require me to load an Operating System, like Vista?

Appreciate you response. Thanks.

You are the third person to make the same recommendation. I think the other is "Bootcamp". Will Parallels require me to load an Operating System, like Vista?

Appreciate you response. Thanks.

Any form of virtualization(Parallels, VM(Virtual Machine)), or the "dual-boot" Boot Camp will require

the installation of some form of Windows, be it XP, Vista, or W7.

The virtualization options allow both OSs(Windows & Mac) to operate simultaneously. The Boot Camp

option is an one or the other not both proposition; with the exception that Parallels allows the use of

an BootCamp partition(and the enclosed copy of Windows) so with both those apps.(Parallels & Boot Camp)

one can run it however they want. VM may offer the same options as Parallels but I'm not that familiar

w/it.

There was an open source project that(as far as I know went private) allowed certain apps. to run w/no

Windows OS at all, last I looked it was turning into a raisin, not a fine wine.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

Norm..... Fegan,

Thanks to you both. I just found a copy of Windows Vista AND a PC version of Microsoft Office in a box I had upstairs. I'll be saving myself money by using one of those "VM's" instead of buying Office for the MAC AND I'll retain my ability to use GSAK (Which I've found it really hard to live without).

Good customer service = yoos guys

Satisfied customer = me

Edited by gribbon

I'll be saving myself money by using one of those "VM's" instead of buying Office for the MAC AND I'll retain my ability to use GSAK (Which I've found it really hard to live without).

Good customer service = yoos guys

Satisfied customer = me

"Money saved to be spent on . . . Time Capsule?"

(In my best 'Church Lady"(SNL) impersonation)

Norm

The 3 virtualization options:

• VMWare Fusion (industry leader, 3.0 was released today)
  • Parallels (first one to release when Apple went to Intel, but the last couple releases haven't been so hot)
  • VirtualBox (Open Source/free)

All 3 require that you create a virtual disk image to store the machine, so they'll require a minimum 6GB disk space.

I started with a VMWare Fusion trial, but switched to VirtualBox. I can't justify spending the cash on Fusion when I only use it for 2 apps; VirtualBox works just fine for me.

Your last option is BootCamp, which lets you dual-boot your Mac between Windows & MacOS. VMWare (and I think Parallels) can run Windows right off your BootCamp partition, so that you can go either way (dual boot or run under virtualization).

I use my mac 99% of the time, including pushing caches to my Garmin Vista HCx - no issues, works just like it did with the PC.

I have not tried to see if I can get any of the Garmin s/w for managing tracks/trails/maps for my Mac yet. I use those infrequently, however..

..a

Virtualization isn't really an answer....it's more of a kludgi way of not really providing a decent answer.

The Garmin tools will work using a virtual setup as long as it just happens to work. When Garmin changes something in a new version then it's unlikely that they'll make any attempt to resolve the issue.

For what it's going to cost for licensing of a virtual setup you're not far off from the price tag for something like a low-end netbook or older used laptop that will run the software natively.

Both "Basecamp" and "RoadTrip" will work on a G4. It says so in the System requirements.

My Oregon 300 and Mac (2008 Mac Pro), get along famously.

It may run....but can you actually do anything with it?

This is kind of the problem.....you can something to run but it becomes useless for doing anything but sitting there.

Virtualization isn't really an answer....it's more of a kludgi way of not really providing a decent answer.

Perhaps you haven't used the tools cited. Running XP in vmware fusion (on an intel based mac) for instance, as I do, is an excellent solution - starts up fast, runs speedily, and is 100% compatible with GSAK. Granted, you'd be correct on a ppc mac, but the OP has an intel mac if I recall correctly.

The Garmin tools will work using a virtual setup as long as it just happens to work. When Garmin changes something in a new version then it's unlikely that they'll make any attempt to resolve the issue.

I don't know what you mean here. There are native mac versions of the garmin tools being discussed that run on just about any mac.

For what it's going to cost for licensing of a virtual setup you're not far off from the price tag for something like a low-end netbook or older used laptop that will run the software natively.

Hmmm? Least cost scenario - already own XP or some similar disk, use virtualbox - free. High cost scenario - buy windows, buy Fusion - maybe 200$? Perhaps that netbook starts to look more interesting, but having a whole other machine just for gps needs seems kind of silly, no?

Anyway, I think the OP is just wanting to make sure that a new garmin will work with his/her mac, and according to the info given, the answer is yes.

Edited by sduck