DJ.J.ROCKS Photo Cointest

DJ.J.ROCK

Photos from Tilos island museum!

A photo of the excavation from the cave Charkadio where the pygmy elephants were discovered!!!

PYGMYELEPHANTEXCAVATION.jpg

Bones of the pygmy elephants! these were the last elephants in europe! Because they were traped by the sea and had to live in a small island, they were turned into pygmy! the tallest was about 1.50 meters high!!! their babies were tiny!!! they were vanished 4000 years ago! In other parts of Europe and greece, the elephants were 4m high! the ancient greeks were seeing the skulls of the elephants, they didn't know what were they (ancient greeks saw elephants for the first time when the army of King Alexander went in India!!!!) and just because the skulls looked like the head of a huge man with one eye (in elephants, there is no bone seperating the eye holes!), the legent of the Cyclops was born! Since the bones were found in caves.... cyclops lived in caves!!!! :)

PYGMYELEPHANT.jpg

Just for the record... if you are curious about elephants in prehistoric Greece.... do not forget that lions existed too! Hercules killed a lion in greece.... remember??? B)

Edited by GATOULIS

byzantine and medieval frescos from ruins of small churches on our way to one of the castles in Tilos! Unfortunatelly, these beautiful frescos are left and getting destroyed by the rain the air.... B)

the first shows the death of Virgin Mary and the other shows Jesus Christ! They are from the 14th century... or even older!!!

picture00086.jpg

picture00087.jpg

Edited by GATOULIS

And at last.... the stange thing in Tilos!

During the early byzantine times, there was a cemetary close to the sea!

the dead were buried in the sand!

After many years, the level of the sea went up and covered the cemetary! The sand was turned into stone and it enclosed the bones of the humans!

In some parts this was not successful so some ofthe bones can be seen! Some skulls were brokn too!

some of the graves are marked and they are very close to where the waves stop!

Sometimes, these graves are out and can be seen, but most of the times they are under water but not deep!!

Here is a grave out of the water (photo taken from a photo in the Tilos museum!)

BYZANTINEGRAVEINTHESEA.jpg

and the same grave when we were there! Can you see the stones making the round???

THEGAVENOW.jpg

finally once again a photo taken from a photo in the museum, you can see bones (the neck) and the broken skull of the dead man!

HUMANSKALPUNDERSEAWATER.jpg

Nikos, cool shots i like the one your in the boat,, funny, you look so happy to do nothing!!!

no snow!!! ill trade ya,,, i work for an apartment complex, and i had to be up at 4 AM this morning to do snow removel, we got 4-6 inches just last night!!! i hit a curb going 40 mpH on my way home when i veard into the snow and slid ,, good thing the cars ok.

we got about 2-3 feet about 2 weeks ago,, and i shoveled for about 14 hrs in 2 days!!! my back did not like me after that round,, now im gonna have to send you some snow in the mail ..... some how!!!

Nikos, cool shots i like the one your in the boat,, funny, you look so happy to do nothing!!!

no snow!!! ill trade ya,,, i work for an apartment complex, and i had to be up at 4 AM this morning to do snow removel, we got 4-6 inches just last night!!! i hit a curb going 40 mpH on my way home when i veard into the snow and slid ,, good thing the cars ok.

we got about 2-3 feet about 2 weeks ago,, and i shoveled for about 14 hrs in 2 days!!! my back did not like me after that round,, now im gonna have to send you some snow in the mail ..... some how!!!

huh!!!! do you know what I would love to see my friend??? snow falling from the sky!!!! In 1987, this happent to the City of Rhodes, but.... I was not in Rhodes!!!!!! :) No luck at all!!!!

12 posts in a row? Someone's trying to stack the deck! :)

Where I was most of last week:

20milebay.jpg

I found this not too far away!

ammonite.jpg

And another for good measure:

fish.jpg

WOW!!! what a beautiful place!!!!!! I would love to see it from close!!!!!

Oh!!!!!! great fossil!!!! I have never seen an amonite from close! Here, the mazority of the fossils are other sea shells! I have some! :D Rhodes area was under water millions of years ago! So seashell fossils can be found even on the top of mountains! some are so common!! you can find them while you are walking here, in ancient stadium area!!! many are not in rocks anymore so...

I do not know their age, but.. they are petrified! Rhodes is full of sandstone so they are traped inside! The sandstone is actually the sand of the bottom of the sea millions of years ago!

I wish I could find a leaf or a fish one day too, but I do not think this is easy to do! :)

if you find one in a small rock, you can take it, or laws do not allow you to do that?

I think the one in the photo is in a big rock! :)

huh!!!! do you know what I would love to see my friend??? snow falling from the sky!!!! In 1987, this happent to the City of Rhodes, but.... I was not in Rhodes!!!!!! :) No luck at all!!!!

Wanna see snow? Come to my place in Switzerland! In winter we usually see a lot of snow falling and it's not too far from your place either!

Two years ago we went ice-skating on a relatively small lake nearby. There were all sorts of cracks and loud bangs so it was impressive!

2381895910028999818S425x425Q85.jpg

The main attraction that winter was the poor fox who slid and fell into the lake as it was freezing. Rather scary but still a rare shot.

2450668190028999818S425x425Q85.jpg

I found this not too far away!

ammonite.jpg

if you find one in a small rock, you can take it, or laws do not allow you to do that?

I think the one in the photo is in a big rock! :)

Casual collecting on public property is allowed in my province. I'm pretty lucky in that regard.

Unfortunately you're wrong on that last bit. That fossil is 1 3/4 inches long. It's probably for the best it wasn't any larger.

toledo, an outside wall of a church! Sorry, I do not remember the church name, but what you see, are chains!

According to what they told us, this church was a very famous one when Toledo was the capital of Spain, in Medieval times! A big part of Spain was under Mauritans and many Spanish were slaves!

they were praying to God to free them, see Spain free and go and pray in this church! As a gift to God they would bring the chains they had on their hands and feet! As you can see... some made it!!!!!

0009.jpg

ok... today I went for geocaching in the southernest part of Rhodes island.... hmmm actually I was not even on rhodes island! I was in prassonisi!

Prassonisi is a tiny island that is connected with Rhodes with a sand road! During winter, many times the sand road is under water and the island is ceperated from Rhodes! :(

here is Rhodes and the sand road...from prassonisi! :)

picture00103.jpg

All these photos are taken from my mobile so they are not very good! :( Sorry!

Here.... a mystery to me! This is at the begining of the island Prassonisi, about 200 meters away from the area that the sand road ends!

In the area there is an old stone made house (?) and this! It looks like a grave but there is no name on it!!! It looks quite old but what story has to tell??? A shipwreak? An accident? The grave of the only man who was staying on the island??? It is still a mystery to me that I have to find out! :)

picture00111.jpg

As an aspiring photographer, I'll jump in on this one! (My first "cointest" so still not so sure how this works. What the hell might as well post first, research later.)

A cute Irish cottage. (Linked thumbnail because the picture is big.)

th_Trip058.jpg

I love the little cottage.... very colourful and the thatched roof is adorable. I wonder why they need to post a PRIVATE sign in the window?