Bogus Virtual Cache Finds

Thrak

Four Windows has been archived for a couple months. :anibad:<_<

Ah, I missed that, must not be spending enough time on the forums, thanks. I still have more forums posts than finds ... Seems it was not only archived but also locked, as there have been no "finds" since archiving.

Hmm, a new cognate for me, Rätsel = riddle ... interesting.

Edward

No matter what they say, it comes down to TBTB wanting to eventually archive all virtuals on the site.

You say that with certainty, so I assume you have inside information or proof.

It does not take any inside information to realize that due to attrition, all virtuals will eventually disappear. I have read other threads that acknowledge this. While it may not mean that all virtuals will be archived instantly, they will end up archived.

No matter what they say, it comes down to TBTB wanting to eventually archive all virtuals on the site.

Hehehehe, you've been around here long enough to know that "proof" is a nebulous thing, eh?

Mac McKinney aka Breaktrack

(thought I'd drop back in for a visit, still hanging in there, still caching when I damned well feel like it, lol, smack Snoogins on the back of the head when you see him for me...)

I feel ready sad for this person. What circumstance left them to only log abandoned virtuals and not want to experience the find in person?

Ok I'm just throwing this one out there, devils advocate, we don't know who this person is or what their background is. How do we know it's not some guy/girl in a wheelchair who is cut off from a lot of caches so they like to do virtuals as compensation?

Does it really bother me? No. What does bother me is the thought that there's people out their snooping my profile ready to report anything I log in the forums, for people to rip apart and frown upon.

Seriously, I enjoy checking people's profiles to see their galleries and what they've found, but if I saw something that didn't look right I guess I'd just shrug and roll my eyes. I wouldn't post it here in the forums and go here look at this guy! What's he up to! Just like I wouldn't spy on my neighbour or report people who take photographs in public places.

Either way, it's just sad.

Must be the third week of the alternate month, since this came up again. (And yeah, I started one of them some time back.)

<snip>

The continued existence of Four Windows doesn't help.

Edward

Last time I checked Four Windows was gone. Unless they've unarchived it, which I seriously doubt.

To assume everyone else thinks like we do, especially in foreign countries is simply arrogant.

They seem to think this is a sporting way to play. So what the hell?

I'm sure there are things we do that they don't consider sporting.

Or maybe they think we're uptight for thinking it's not.

Well who really cares anyway. I cared the first time this conversation came up I'm sure, but now that we're at the 53rd time it's been discussed in the short time I've been caching... well, can you say dead horse?

And how is it that this is supposed to effect me??

Some people cheat at solitaire to.

but honestly writting, if u cheat, do u enjoy the win, in the case of geocaching, the numbers? I mean, i am happy when i reach more and more gc, but if i log them without finding, it would not make me satisfied, would it? :signalviolin:

but honestly writting, if u cheat, do u enjoy the win, in the case of geocaching, the numbers? I mean, i am happy when i reach more and more gc, but if i log them without finding, it would not make me satisfied, would it? :signalviolin:

I don't cheat. I play solitaire the same way every time. Sometimes I win and sometimes I loose. In the case of geocaching my numbers are not accurate as I do not log as finds anymore.

I am glad you find happiness in your increasing numbers. I have no way of knowing, though, if you would find them as satisfying if you claimed finds on caches you never visited. I suggest, respectfully, that that is a question you must ask yourself.

but honestly writting, if u cheat, do u enjoy the win, in the case of geocaching, the numbers? I mean, i am happy when i reach more and more gc, but if i log them without finding, it would not make me satisfied, would it? :sad:

I don't cheat. I play solitaire the same way every time. Sometimes I win and sometimes I loose. In the case of geocaching my numbers are not accurate as I do not log as finds anymore.

I am glad you find happiness in your increasing numbers. I have no way of knowing, though, if you would find them as satisfying if you claimed finds on caches you never visited. I suggest, respectfully, that that is a question you must ask yourself.

But that's not fair - how am I supposed to know if I have more finds than you! :signalviolin:

but honestly writting, if u cheat, do u enjoy the win, in the case of geocaching, the numbers? I mean, i am happy when i reach more and more gc, but if i log them without finding, it would not make me satisfied, would it? :sad:

But that's not fair - how am I supposed to know if I have more finds than you! :signalviolin:

Sorry to break it to you but life ain't always fair.

It does not take any inside information to realize that due to attrition, all virtuals will eventually disappear. I have read other threads that acknowledge this. While it may not mean that all virtuals will be archived instantly, they will end up archived.
I can pretty much guarantee that you are incorrect. :signalviolin:

but honestly writting, if u cheat, do u enjoy the win, in the case of geocaching, the numbers? I mean, i am happy when i reach more and more gc, but if i log them without finding, it would not make me satisfied, would it? :D

I can't believe you're physically visiting a cache but virtually not logging... :sad:

Hmmm. I was simply referring to what Miss Jen wrote when she stated, "We are most certainly not preparing for a mass archiving of the remaining virtual caches. We are recognizing a long-term issue and addressing it through education. We know that the remaining virtual caches have a natural attrition rate and they will eventually pass through the course of this game over time. Naturally."

Edited by Erickson

but honestly writting, if u cheat, do u enjoy the win, in the case of geocaching, the numbers? I mean, i am happy when i reach more and more gc, but if i log them without finding, it would not make me satisfied, would it? :D

I can't believe you're physically visiting a cache but virtually not logging... :sad:

Why not? I've been doing it for years, I only started logging them as my children have gotten into it the past month. I have kept a journal for years on the ones I have done.

Why not? I've been doing it for years, I only started logging them as my children have gotten into it the past month. I have kept a journal for years on the ones I have done.

OK play it your way... :D

I have a virtual "High on a Windy Hill" in the Olympic National Park. I am very proud of it and try to do a good job verifying all logs. Since I caught two German's logging it and several others in other states and another country the same day. They sent me the correct answers and at that time the road was closed but i thought gee they must have cross-country skied up the road. Further checking showed the multi logging. I deleted their finds and sent them an e-mail explaining why. Got a very nice e-mail back saying they didn't realize that I didn't allow couch-caching.

I am 84 with a bad heart. I tried to adopt out the cache but that is no longer possible. So when I am gone the virtual will also be gone. There is no one in the family that can take it over. There is now an earth cache close by but it will not be available to some cachers. Yes, some day there will be no virtuals.

Dick

being new i find humor in people like this, and the thing about language barrier, if you go/or went to school in germany you know english as it is required to learn it throughout school (alot speak it better then most americans), this i learned through visiting there as a kid with a childrens choir and stayin with a host family. dont let the younger ones fool you they know whats up they just like to play dumb. either way i forsee that i will not be logging any virtuals here as by the time i get to em they will be archived..

Hmmm. I was simply referring to what Miss Jen wrote when she stated, "We are most certainly not preparing for a mass archiving of the remaining virtual caches. We are recognizing a long-term issue and addressing it through education. We know that the remaining virtual caches have a natural attrition rate and they will eventually pass through the course of this game over time. Naturally."

Perfect.

Thank you.

I sent him an e-mail asking what he gets out of cheating. I also requested he delete his fake finds. I also told him to address the issue in the forums as well.

Unless you're the owner of one the virtual caches he logged, I don't see why you feel the need to get involved. If he's couch logging these caches, obviously he doesn't feel any guilt about it, so you aren't going to change his mind in that regard. If couch logging were a threat to the existance of the remaining virtual caches, they would've all been archived long ago, so his "fake" logging isn't going to cause virtuals to disappear any faster.

As has been stated time and time again, this isn't a competition, noone wins or loses, no prize is at stake, so I'm not sure where the cheating aspect comes into play. You went to a virtual cache, saw the scenery or learned about the history behind the area and logged your find. This person sat on his couch and logged the find. You both got a smiley for it. I don't know. In my book, the guy who sits on his couch logging these virtuals for a silly smiley is the one who is getting cheated.

Bruce

Edited by Bassanio

If couch logging were a threat to the existence of the remaining virtual caches, they would've all been archived long ago, so his "fake" logging isn't going to cause virtuals to disappear any faster.

Bruce

But, in fact, the lack of monitoring of the logs on a virtual can be construed as a lack of maintenance by the owner, and result in archival of the cache. Yes, it has happened.

You can either:

A) Jump on the German bandwagon now, before they get archived. (But hey! Unless they are locked after archival, you can still log them!)

Bee) Hope they are still active if you ever get to visit the area.

C) Post a 'Needs Maintenance'/'Needs Archived' log, and expect the local reviewer to archive it.

EDITED to remove stupid inadvertent smiley.

Edited by AZcachemeister

I sent him an e-mail asking what he gets out of cheating. I also requested he delete his fake finds. I also told him to address the issue in the forums as well.

Unless you're the owner of one the virtual caches he logged, I don't see why you feel the need to get involved. If he's couch logging these caches, obviously he doesn't feel any guilt about it, so you aren't going to change his mind in that regard. If couch logging were a threat to the existance of the remaining virtual caches, they would've all been archived long ago, so his "fake" logging isn't going to cause virtuals to disappear any faster.

I disagree with the last point. Dozens of abandoned virtuals with long gone owners from the olden days of Geocaching have been archived, as some of them contained pretty much nothing but armchair "Greetings from Germany" logs since 2006 or 2007.

The first point I couldn't agree with more. Rross1973, dude, after 9 days and 2,000 views of the thread, why would you be the one to email the guy and ask him what he gets out of cheating?

If couch logging were a threat to the existence of the remaining virtual caches, they would've all been archived long ago, so his "fake" logging isn't going to cause virtuals to disappear any faster.

Bruce

But, in fact, the lack of monitoring of the logs on a virtual can be construed as a lack of maintenance by the owner, and result in archival of the cache. Yes, it has happened.

You can either:

A) Jump on the German bandwagon now, before they get archived. (But hey! Unless they are locked after archival, you can still log them!)

C) Post a 'Needs Maintenance'/'Needs Archived' log, and expect the local reviewer to archive it.

Dozens of abandoned virtuals with long gone owners from the olden days of Geocaching have been archived, as some of them contained pretty much nothing but armchair "Greetings from Germany" logs since 2006 or 2007.

I stand corrected. I was thinking along the lines of virtual caches that have active, responsible owners who can/should curtail the armchair logging, if only for the sake of keeping the cache active. But, if that owner decided he no longer wanted to babysit the cache and there were volunteers who would adopt it, they don't have that choice. The armchair logging along with Groundspeaks decision to not allow adopting out virtual caches goes hand in hand with those caches eventually getting archived because of abuse.

I still feel that armchair logging, whether the owner is active or long gone, doesn't detract from the cache experience in the slightest. Some guy in Germany wants to inflate his numbers and say he found 500 virtual caches all around the world but never actually got off his couch...doesn't hurt the game one iota. As long as the reason for the virtual cache still exists and can be enjoyed by the people who visit it, it should remain a listed cache, active owner or not. But, that's an argument for a different thread.

Bruce

You can either:

EDITED to remove stupid inadvertent smiley.

I assume of course that you mean posting a 'needs maintenance' after visiting the cache and seeing that it does.

After all it just wouldn't be cricket if you were logging an NM from your armchair.

We've noticed the same activity in our area, at an old, archived virtual that we just missed doing by months (great location). Not sure how they even found it, it was archived in '05? GC5E3D. The fellow was also in Hungary, Spain, Wyoming, Kansas, Texas, Utah, Florida and PA on the same day. ;)

Another log today for archived virt GC5E3D, maybe it needs archived a little harder. :rolleyes::ph34r:

We've noticed the same activity in our area, at an old, archived virtual that we just missed doing by months (great location). Not sure how they even found it, it was archived in '05? GC5E3D. The fellow was also in Hungary, Spain, Wyoming, Kansas, Texas, Utah, Florida and PA on the same day. :)

Another log today for archived virt GC5E3D, maybe it needs archived a little harder. :D:D

Yes, an archived cache can be locked from further log entries. Normally, it isn't done, but it can be.

How'd they even find that? The armchair logging of archived virts has me convinced some of our German friends know exactly what they're doing, "language barrier" aside. :D

We've noticed the same activity in our area, at an old, archived virtual that we just missed doing by months (great location). Not sure how they even found it, it was archived in '05? GC5E3D. The fellow was also in Hungary, Spain, Wyoming, Kansas, Texas, Utah, Florida and PA on the same day. :)

Another log today for archived virt GC5E3D, maybe it needs archived a little harder. :D:D

Yes, an archived cache can be locked from further log entries. Normally, it isn't done, but it can be.

How'd they even find that? The armchair logging of archived virts has me convinced some of our German friends know exactly what they're doing, "language barrier" aside. :D

They have their armchair game and Julia has hers.

I don't log them here, because I know they will get deleted.

However, I have a Notepad document with THOUSANDS of virtuals that I claim to have visited.

So far I am up to 134,924 virtuals.

It takes me about 7 hours every night to log them, but in my heart I get a great sense of accomplishment because I know I'm the king of virtual caching.

Hail to the king, baby.

:)

Man I was afraid this was brought up again, and then I saw that it was just revived.

And just when i thought it was safe to go back into the forums again.

I do armchair caching. It's logging on the forums.

I do it way too much, but it gives me something to do when I am home sick with the flu.