Offline Pocket Queries (NEW !)

All the answers - and none of them - can be found herein......

No - I still don't understand why they're needed either. Perhaps they just wanted to give the developers something to do.

iPhones are very trendy at the moment, and Apple have opened them up to let third party developers create applications. Now, if we could just convince Garmin to let us load third party extras on the Oregon and Colorado........

:o:)

Edited by keehotee

Basically, if you use the iPhone app from Groundspeak, it has a feature where you can select one of your Pocket Queries that have run within the last 7 days and download it into an offline list for paperless caching. This is useful for me as I run an iPod Touch and therefore have no internet outside my home Wi-fi.

However until now you could only use the raw PQ straight from GC.com.

These new 'Offline Pocket Queries' allow you to take your PQ as normal, run it through some software at home such as GSAK etc, then upload your new database to the site. This (once the iPhone app update comes through) will allow you to use your personalised PQ within the iPhone app.

I hope that makes sense!

Basically, if you use the iPhone app from Groundspeak, it has a feature where you can select one of your Pocket Queries that have run within the last 7 days and download it into an offline list for paperless caching. This is useful for me as I run an iPod Touch and therefore have no internet outside my home Wi-fi.

These new 'Offline Pocket Queries' allow you to take your PQ as normal, run it through some software at home such as GSAK etc, then upload your new database to the site. This (once the iPhone app update comes through) will allow you to use your personalised PQ within the iPhone app.

I hope that makes sense!

Well now We don't have to ask the same question.

I hope that makes sense!

Would it not have been easier (and kinder on servers and bandwidth) to have just modded the App to allow .gpx's to be loaded???

Edited by keehotee