A few questions

twblair

Hey guys im writing an article about Geocaching for my schools paper and I need some quotes from a few people. If you could answer the following questions and leave your name, city where you live, and your profession I would appreciate it.

1. How did you originally hear about geocaching?

2. Why did you want to get involved?

Thanks guys and girls, any input would help alot. :laughing:

Hey guys im writing an article about Geocaching for my schools paper and I need some quotes from a few people. If you could answer the following questions and leave your name, city where you live, and your profession I would appreciate it.

Thanks guys and girls, any input would help alot. :laughing:

1) I heard about geocaching while on a budget trip on Maui. I found a cache before I had ever actually known about the hobby but I had briefly heard about it over 5 years before I found that first cache

2) I wanted to get involved because it was fun to find things that most didn't even know existed, plus it was a good, low cost, activity to do on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

As for the name, etc.. It's a good rule of thumb to not give out personal information in the online forums.

1. Via a link on the Confluence Project website.

2. I already had a GPS (monochrome Vista), and the website offered many uses for it. Once I grabbed a few caches I realized the great potential of geocaching: exercise, adventure, discovery, and camaraderie. among other reasons.

I got back into hiking three years ago. I bought a Garmin Vista HCX. The instruction booklet mentioned geocaching when referring to certain features. I looked it up.

I was very excited to see that there was a cache near my house. It was a good few weeks before that "there are these hidden items all around us!" feeling wore off.

1. We accidently found a cache on an old bridge when we stopped to admire the view while we out driving the back country roads. When we got home we looked up gecaching on the net.

2. We got involved because we love the outdoors, finding & exploring new places, and it's fun for the whole family (of 3).

Fairly new to geocaching ourselves but I had heard about it probably 5 or 6 years ago. I have been an ATV explorer for many years and have run into people out and about that filled us in on what they were doing during general conversation after meeting up on the trails. In time I met or got to know a few fellow ATV explorers that were also into geogaching. I went on an ATV club ride that actually stopped at two geocaches because the ride leader was a geocacher. I helped find the first one and thought it was pretty interesting/challenging. I later mentioned it to my wife whom thought it sounded like fun. A light went off in my head.....a way to get my wife out riding and exploring more which of course leads to more quality time with the wife and another rider/opportunity to get out and ride/explore more. So basically it became another excuse to "get out there". Now I can combine four of my favorite activities into one. Riding, Exploring, Photography and now Geocaching.....and as I mentioned something my wife and myself enjoy doing together. It's all good.

Two of the guys I work with told me about it a few years ago, but I didn't really get interested in it until recently.. I now have more finds than they do put together :o

I decided to get involved for a few reasons: One, I find it to be a quality activity that I can enjoy with my family, which is the most important thing to me in the world. It gives us something to do together, provides exercise, get's us out and about to places we've never been or probably wouldn't go to otherwise, and all-in-all it's just plain fun :)

Sorry, no specifics, but I'm from Southern Utah and work as a Mechanic if that helps.

I heard about it a couple of years ago but it never sparked my interest. Not sure why. Then I caught the last few minutes of a program on TV (Discovery Channel I think ??) one evening. I got interested and found the GC.com website.

After moving about 5000 km across the country, we found ourselves far away from friends nd family. So we had time on our hands. We also love being outdoors and this sport just seemed to fit.

1. I heard about it on an internet backgammon site forum - a conversation about solving a puzzle cache.

2. A little later I was trying to do more exercise and started using the caches around me as targets to reach when running. After 5 months I have found over 200 caches, lost 2.5 stone and have now run the half marathon distance of 13 miles for a cache. During this time I have visited places that I haven't been to for a while and found some very nice new areas both locally and when working away from home.

Many years back I was reading an article in a UK magazine about Letterboxing on Dartmoor. At the end there was an addendum of related information; one of them mentioned something called "geocaching" and there was the URL for http://www.geocaching.com/

I read a bit about it, showed it to MrB, who created an account and we just thought it sounded a really strange, but interesting idea. We didn't have money to spare for a GPS at that time, but we just kept the account and occasionally looked in at the site. It must have kept our interest because we didn't forget all about it, but it was another 3 years before we had the money, time and inclination to buy a GPS and actually go and find our first geocache.

MrsB :anicute:

I bought a GPS to use for a new job as a Driver and while searching the internet for tips and tricks on the GPS's features I stumbled across Geocaching.

I have always read and enjoyed books about Pirates so I have been a Pirate at heart since I was young. What self respecting Pirate doesn't like hunting treasure?

I blame my sister for telling me about this addiction .

To do something with family that didn't involve a screen and after finding my first which was a custom container by a local cacher team DR MOO, I just had to get others invoved. I do have to say the unique containers did help fuel the passion to find more.

I read about it on a UK website called www.netmums.com where it was promoted as an outdoors activity for families, fun and cheap after buying the gps.

I work shift hours and I thought this was a fun activity I could do with my son at almost any time, locally or anywhere we visit. It is strangely addictive, especially when following a trail of clues to the final cache, known as a multi-cache. :anicute:

Not sure, I think I must have heard or read something a while a ago.

The extra motivation to get out of the house and get some exercise rather than sitting in front a computer all day every day.

I live near Durham, UK and work in IT Support Services.

A/

We were all at an event far from home when our friend said that he was going to be gone for a few hours geocaching and be back later. He gave us a short explanation which stuck in our mind as did the fact, you could do this sport/game anywhere you were.

2/

Since we were avid hikers and felt this would add to our experience, a GPS showed up under the tree next Christmas and our hikes began to have a 'prize to open' at the end of our expedition. It was an added reason to go somewhere.

iii/ THE BONUS!

We have been introduced to so many "Hidden Gems". Parks and places we NEVER would have found on our own or even known about. Areas that have taken our breath away! To be fair, some mediocre hikes too but always an adventure even the DNF's.

Hi, We are new too, with a whopping 11 caches under our belt at present time. We are going out again today, we love hiking and this just makes it that much better. We are from Mesa AZ, I am an administrator by trade (just got laid off) and he is a Software Engineer (who hopefully has a contract coming up).

1) I heard about it from 2 seperate friends of mine who don't know eachother. Then we were out one day and I saw something that looked "suspicious" So i was like "I wonder if this is a GeoCache" I inspected it, it wasn't. But that got the bug in me and when i came home I looked it up on the internet. I was determined that I was going to go out the next day and find one as there are quite a few near us. I created an account here under my name, we went out the next day, He became almost more enthused about it as me, so hence a name change, and 11 caches later... Here we are.

2) We wanted to get involved, because its way fun, and it keeps us motivated to do more hikes on trails that maybe we wouldn't normally take, and it helps us work together as a team. We have lots of fun together, and with the economy right now, its good to find fun things that don't cost a fortune. <_< I got him a GPS about 9 or 10 years ago, when he had just got back from France and couldn't find anything (he was traveling for work) So we decided to put it to use.

It feels cool to be a part of "something". Its like this big thing that is kept on the DownLow, and I wonder why didn't this secret get out before? But once you know, you know and you can't help but do it at least just once! and then it turns into twice... and before you know it.... oy! your addicted! LOL it is just alot of fun!

Hope that answers your questions.

1. I heard about it from my brother-in-law when my family visited me on vacation.

2. I got involved because I love being outdoors...especially hiking.Geocaching is a great way to do both.I have discovered some great hiking and camping areas from finding caches in out of the way areas.

I go by "skeezicks" as my geocache name.I live in Helena,Mt. and work in retail.

I read about it in a magazine I forget which one I think it was some outdoor mag.

I originally wanted to cache with my daughter who right now is 3. She is into it but not ready to do it al that much so I go by myself right now but in the future she will be able to and since she is growing up around itI hope she grows into it.

Thanks guys and girls, any input would help alot. <_<

Edited by JIMIP

i heard about it on NPR and thought: i have been waiting for this sport to come along all my life! the idea of going to an abscure place to find a box with three marbles, a plastic army guy, and some string sounded like something i'd enjoy.

turns out that my friend crashco has heard the same story, and we both got GPSrs for Christmas that year. neither one of us knew the other had heard of geocaching until one of us called the other to say we ought to go.

i'm a retired middle school teacher, somewhere in vermont. if you want to hear more out of me, you'll have to email me.