Bookmark Limit

reedkickball

Geocaching.com has a limit of 500 caches per bookmark. Generally this isn't a problem, however I'm getting close to a limit with my list of "Civil War" geocaches. I know Shell1fish has had to break up his "Challenge" cache bookmark list into 2, and expects that he'll have to break it again when it grows.

To break up bookmark lists is a big pain in the butt! It takes hours. Is there any way to make an interface to break up bookmarks, or better yet create a utility that allows the creation of bookmark lists with xml, csv, or even SQL insert statements? This shouldn't be too much of a problem given the fact that each person is only allowed 20 bookmarks.

Can some bookmark maintenance be added? Thanks.

Is this a good requirement? or am I just wasting my breath? If I don't have a good way to break up the bookmarks, I may just give up creating a good list of caches that have to do with the Civil War. Shell1fish may give up his Challenge based bookmark, especially if we have to break them up regularly.

I'm confused. If one bookmark list gets full why not just start another one?

40 lists times 500 caches equals 20000 caches.

It's not that simple. Once you get close to the limit, and you need two lists, they may need to be broken up into some semblance of order. This would have to be done by hand. Very time consuming.

For example, the Challenge Caches bookmark is broken up into states alphabetically. States A-M on one list, and States N-Z on the other. At the point that one list needed to become two, all of the N-Z would need to be moved into the other list.

The problem with upping the limit on the bookmark lists is that if you have more than 500 caches on the bookmark list, it then exceeds the pocket query limit. I think a better solution would be making an easier way to edit bookmarks. The other solution is more forethought when starting a compilation bookmark. This is easier now that the limit has been raised. Plan to make logical geographic divisions when you start. That also makes them more useful to others. For example, Civil War caches by state makes it easier for tourists to look for ones near where

Team Taran

The problem with upping the limit on the bookmark lists is that if you have more than 500 caches on the bookmark list, it then exceeds the pocket query limit. I think a better solution would be making an easier way to edit bookmarks. The other solution is more forethought when starting a compilation bookmark. This is easier now that the limit has been raised. Plan to make logical geographic divisions when you start. That also makes them more useful to others. For example, Civil War caches by state makes it easier for tourists to look for ones near where

Team Taran

I agree forthought would of been great when I started the "Civil War" geocaches, however I didn't ever think that it would get that large. I fully understand the 500 limit per bookmark (that being the PQ limit). However, I really don't think it would be that hard to create a utility that could receive a csv, xml, or sql insert list of bookmarks to rearrange the list(s). Maybe I could of made of the bookmark list by state, but then I'm pretty sure someday I'll have over 500 in Virginia, and want to break out by region. Again, breaking up and reorganizing is a very time consuming task. Maybe, just maybe, they'd allow me to email it to one of the lackeys, and then they can upload into the database to make sure there is data validity.