Paperless geocaching

WVTombRaiders

I have my geomate and I love it, but hubby wants to go ahead and get a nice handheld Garmin... I would like to have one that I can have paperless geocaching. He would also like it to be aviation compatible, as he is a private pilot.. Granted, if getting all these things makes the price go WAAAYYY up... we'll settle for less options :laughing:

WVTombRaiders

I'm not familar with the Garmin units, but I'm sure there are lots of folks who can advise you on them. Personally I'm a big fan of the Delorme PN-30 and PN-40 GPSr's. If you're open to maybe another brand you might be pleasantly surprised at how affordable the Delorme PNs are compared to some others. To name just a couple of the pros of these awesome units is they come with maps included and they allow you to paperless cache. If you're interested in seeing some more thoughts of mine on these units you can CLICK HERE. Good luck in your search for the perfect GPSr for you. :laughing: P.S. In addition to my Delorme PN-40 I too own a Geomate Jr. and I think they both serve a very specific useful purpose in my caching adventures and compliment each other very nicely.

MC, it's truly great that you're such a fan of Delorme products, but if someone is asking specifically for a different brand. both in their thread titlle AND content. they try to stay on topic :laughing:

VWTombRaider, there are a number of Garmin models which support paperless caching. The entire series of Oregons, Colorado's and Dakotas. Which you decide on depends on your needs, and yep budget :blink:

I was basically in your same situation - I wanted a handheld that was 100% paperless, but also had some nice features and I could use it while flying as I am also a private/instrument rated pilot if I wanted to plot-in a VFR route or something like that. I read every review and forum I could get my hands on, and ended up buying the Oregon 300, then bought the garmin city navigator maps for north america (so I would have on-road navigation and would also have basically every airport in north america listed as a POI so they're easy to find) and then downloaded some of the free topo maps from gpsfiledepot.com so I had the topo's if I wanted them. (I have all the maps on a 4gig microSD card and still have room to spare) I have been 100% happy so far. I chose the Oregon over the dakota because the screen is bigger, and I really wanted the touch-screen so I ruled out the Colorado - but really I think between those 3 you would be happy with any of them. Garmin's aviation units (while extremely nice for aviation) are limited to only aviation and can't do much else.

I use a Garmin Colorado 300.

I update the geocache gpx file weekly, then as I drive around the countryside I can quickly check if there is a trackable item in a cache. It also allows me to check the logs before I veer off to find a cache, as previously I've spent way to long looking for a cache that is not available!

Well worth the money for paperless geocaching!

I have a Colorado 400T.

I really like it. The included topo map is good enough for most things. I have not added the city navigator yet, as I am having trouble deciding to do that or spend just a little more for a nuvi. It might be nice to navigate by nuvi and be able to leave it in the vehicle while caching.

MC, it's truly great that you're such a fan of Delorme products, but if someone is asking specifically for a different brand. both in their thread titlle AND content. they try to stay on topic :laughing:

VWTombRaider, there are a number of Garmin models which support paperless caching. The entire series of Oregons, Colorado's and Dakotas. Which you decide on depends on your needs, and yep budget :P

You are correct that the OP mentioned Garmin a couple times. The reason I spoke up with a reference to the Delorme PNs is that this was posted in the Getting Started forum and according to the OPs profile page they have only been a member for less than 30 days. My thought process was that it's possible that this new geocacher may not even know there are other very affordable and good options besides those with the Garmin name branded on them. You'll notice I didn't spend a lot of time talking up the benefits of the Delorme PN series GPSr's so I don't think I really thread jacked this thread. I just presented another option that a newer cacher may not have been aware of. If the OP would have said that he/she was a lifelong user of Garmin products and they loved them and were brand loyal then I probably wouldn't have even bothered replying, but that was not the case.

At least I linked to a post of mine where I discuss both the pros and cons of the Delorme units I love. It would be nice if you and others would also mention the problems that exist with the units you feel more comfortable recommending. All GPSrs that I'm aware of have their pros and cons so instead of just saying buy "this" wouldn't it be better in the interest of helping new geocachers to mention not only the pros but also the cons of the units we recommend to them. Sorry to let the cat out of the bag that all GPSrs (including your beloved Garmins) have not only pros, but cons.

I know from reading your other posts that you are extremely biased against anything not Garmin, but it's obvious that your hyper sensitivity to anything not Garmin may be unduly influencing your writings. If you want to be so brand loyal to Garmin that you'll never use anything but their products that really is fine and I say go for it and I'm glad you're happy with your choice. However, I don't think you're being fair to the newer cachers when you let your personal biases determine your recommendations. Please notice I never said or even implied a single negative about your beloved Garmin brand so I think you've overreacted yet again to a recommendation for a Delorme PN series GPSr. Try to keep in mind that in the Getting Started forum we are supposed to be trying to assist the newer folks who may not always be aware of the wide array of different GPSrs available out there. I find it interesting that NordicMan finds my post offensive, but I haven't heard a complaint from the OP so that would lead me to believe it wasn't such a bad thing that I did.

In the interest of keeping this thread on track I will end my response to to NordicMans post. If NordicMan has a problem with anything I've written and wants to discuss it further he can feel free to start a thread over in another forum and we can discuss this subject more completely.

Happy caching everybody! :blink:

FYI... I'm fine with you posting about the Delorme GPS... I'm just so used to Garmin everything that I said Garmin... I have heard of the Delorme before but wasn't aware it could be used for paperless caching... Thanks a ton for your info... I've already been checking out eBay and have bookmarked a couple of Delorme GPSs... they're not much more than the Garmin that I was looking at (60CSX) but I'm not sure (haven't even looked yet.. been busy) if that is even compatible to paperless caching...

Sorry for any confusion guys!!!

Thanks for ALL info :o)

WVTombRaiders

MC, it's truly great that you're such a fan of Delorme products, but if someone is asking specifically for a different brand. both in their thread titlle AND content. they try to stay on topic :)

VWTombRaider, there are a number of Garmin models which support paperless caching. The entire series of Oregons, Colorado's and Dakotas. Which you decide on depends on your needs, and yep budget :D

You are correct that the OP mentioned Garmin a couple times. The reason I spoke up with a reference to the Delorme PNs is that this was posted in the Getting Started forum and according to the OPs profile page they have only been a member for less than 30 days. My thought process was that it's possible that this new geocacher may not even know there are other very affordable and good options besides those with the Garmin name branded on them. You'll notice I didn't spend a lot of time talking up the benefits of the Delorme PN series GPSr's so I don't think I really thread jacked this thread. I just presented another option that a newer cacher may not have been aware of. If the OP would have said that he/she was a lifelong user of Garmin products and they loved them and were brand loyal then I probably wouldn't have even bothered replying, but that was not the case.

At least I linked to a post of mine where I discuss both the pros and cons of the Delorme units I love. It would be nice if you and others would also mention the problems that exist with the units you feel more comfortable recommending. All GPSrs that I'm aware of have their pros and cons so instead of just saying buy "this" wouldn't it be better in the interest of helping new geocachers to mention not only the pros but also the cons of the units we recommend to them. Sorry to let the cat out of the bag that all GPSrs (including your beloved Garmins) have not only pros, but cons.

I know from reading your other posts that you are extremely biased against anything not Garmin, but it's obvious that your hyper sensitivity to anything not Garmin may be unduly influencing your writings. If you want to be so brand loyal to Garmin that you'll never use anything but their products that really is fine and I say go for it and I'm glad you're happy with your choice. However, I don't think you're being fair to the newer cachers when you let your personal biases determine your recommendations. Please notice I never said or even implied a single negative about your beloved Garmin brand so I think you've overreacted yet again to a recommendation for a Delorme PN series GPSr. Try to keep in mind that in the Getting Started forum we are supposed to be trying to assist the newer folks who may not always be aware of the wide array of different GPSrs available out there. I find it interesting that NordicMan finds my post offensive, but I haven't heard a complaint from the OP so that would lead me to believe it wasn't such a bad thing that I did.

In the interest of keeping this thread on track I will end my response to to NordicMans post. If NordicMan has a problem with anything I've written and wants to discuss it further he can feel free to start a thread over in another forum and we can discuss this subject more completely.

Happy caching everybody! :)

...I know from reading your other posts that you are extremely biased against anything not Garmin,...

..excuse me but,, huh??!?? :o

I've owned practically every brand GPSr on the market (OK except Delorme, but that's because I live in Canada). But I've recommended Delormes to people quite a number of times.

I don't have a clue where you're getting your assumptions from..

I really like it. The included topo map is good enough for most things. I have not added the city navigator yet, as I am having trouble deciding to do that or spend just a little more for a nuvi. It might be nice to navigate by nuvi and be able to leave it in the vehicle while caching.

I'd spend a little more for the Nuvi. Spoken directions are really nice - you keep your eyes on the road - and you have a backup GPS in the car for the days when you left your handheld at home.

I use the GSAK macro for Nuvi so that geocaches are in the Nuvi as custom POIs. If you want to be really distracted, turn on proximity alert - it pings when you're within 2000 ft (configurable) of a cache. I turned the audio off after noticing my driving got a lot worse :o The Nuvi is now my main paperless device, replacing the Palm.

If you get a Nuvi, I highly recommend getting the sandbag dash mount. They're remarkably stable, unlike the windshield mount that drops down every once in a while. They're easier to move out of sight too when you park the car.

With the use of GSAK and a macro, it is possible to 'paperless' cache with a 60cxs.

Depends how much information you want to have on it!

Linky

It's an interesting work-around, but having multiple POI entries for each cache (due to 88 character description limit) is rather painful.

There's something similar to it for the Venture HC as well. Even more limiting, of course, since the Venture HC has an even shorter POI description limit and much less (non expandable) memory.

I just load the bare minimum on the GPSr. Each waypoint has "smart name" and difficulty/terrain/size in the title, and as much of the hint as possible in the description.

With the use of GSAK and a macro, it is possible to 'paperless' cache with a 60cxs.

Depends how much information you want to have on it!

Linky

It's an interesting work-around, but having multiple POI entries for each cache (due to 88 character description limit) is rather painful.

There's something similar to it for the Venture HC as well. Even more limiting, of course, since the Venture HC has an even shorter POI description limit and much less (non expandable) memory.

I just load the bare minimum on the GPSr. Each waypoint has "smart name" and difficulty/terrain/size in the title, and as much of the hint as possible in the description.

I usually sort out the caches, then load them twiice.

Once as POI's and then as caches.

Cache with the cache files.

If you need to read a cache page -if it's a multi cache and you need clues- open the POI