What GPS to buy?

MountainView823

I just started geocaching, and I'm having a blast! I've been using a friend's eTrex Vista, but I've been frustrated by it's reception in the woods. I want to get a GPS exclusively for geocaching, and I have no clue what to get. My two main criteria are that it gets great reception and that it has an electric compass. Being inexpensive would also be a great attribute. Please help! Thanks!

Garmin eTrex Vista HCx- sounds like your friend has the non-H model; the H stands for High Sensitivity receiver, works much better under cover.

DeLorme Earthmate PN-40

Garmin Oregon 300 or 400

Those are the ones that come to mind. Also, go look through the GPS Hardware sub-forum here, lots of info in there.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Edited by Hrethgir

I've got a Delorme PN-40 and love it. In another forum thread I wrote up what I see as the pros and cons of this unit. If you're interested in reading that thread you can CLICK HERE. You may want to check out other threads over in the GPS and Technology forum and you should be able to find lots of useful information. Another great resource over in that forum is the topics pinned at the top of the page where lots of reviews of different GPSr units can be found. Good luck in finding the GPSr that will be a good fit for your personal desires. :laughing:

I just started geocaching, and I'm having a blast! I've been using a friend's eTrex Vista, but I've been frustrated by it's reception in the woods. I want to get a GPS exclusively for geocaching, and I have no clue what to get. My two main criteria are that it gets great reception and that it has an electric compass. Being inexpensive would also be a great attribute. Please help! Thanks!

The updated version of your friend's Vista might be an option, the eTrex Vista HCX. It has a high sensitivity receiver that gives excellent reception under trees. If you are comfortable with the Vista other than the reception issue, the HCX might be a good choice.

Since you are using it exclusively for geocaching you might also want to check out the Garmin Oregon series, the Garmin Colorado and the DeLorme PN40. They have the added benefit of giving you all the cache info on the unit.

Edited by briansnat

How about the Garmin Ledgend HCX with bundle for geochaching? Stong enough in the woods? Can I load info into it before heading out to find caches?

It is a fine uint for geocaching. It will get great reception in the woods and you can load cache waypoints directly to it. You won't get the entire cache paqe though, just the basics.

I use the good old Magellan eXplorist system, as does my sister (I have the 600, she has the 500) and we have found it to be incredibly accurate. We both love Magellan so much we convinced my parents thats what they should buy, so they have a RoadMate 1550(??) and they love theirs too.

Take a look at this package. It may me what you want. The price is right and it's a good unit.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...rset=ISO-8859-1

I don't see that as a very good deal. If you shop around you could easily buy all the components separately and save money over what they are charging - and wind up with a 2 gig SD card instead of a measly 128 meg card.

I got a 256MB card, maybe they changed it.

When I was looking the best price I saw for a Vista HCx was $219 add the card, case and the topo 100 DVD and it didn't seem like such a bad deal, but prices change often so maybe now someone can do better by buying separately.

I have ben using a Garmin Nuvi 200 for Geocaching over the last three months. Tonight I ordered a Garmin 60CSx and am anxiously awaiting the Big Brown Truck.

I have the same Nuvi 200 I am having trouble getting coordinates loaded into unit ,can you give me any help here .I am new to geocaching but am getting a little bit frustrated.Help Please.

MLAY715@comcast.net

I have ben using a Garmin Nuvi 200 for Geocaching over the last three months. Tonight I ordered a Garmin 60CSx and am anxiously awaiting the Big Brown Truck.

I have the same Nuvi 200 I am having trouble getting coordinates loaded into unit ,can you give me any help here .I am new to geocaching but am getting a little bit frustrated.Help Please.

MLAY715@comcast.net

Consider getting a factory refurbished model and save yourself some money. They come with the same warrenty, in a shiney new box, just like new.

Make sure you get one with a high sensitivty reciever. Then learn how to use the features. A lot of folks get a gps but don't practice with it till they need it.

I use the good old Magellan eXplorist system, as does my sister (I have the 600, she has the 500) and we have found it to be incredibly accurate. We both love Magellan so much we convinced my parents thats what they should buy, so they have a RoadMate 1550(??) and they love theirs too.

And they geocache with that 1550?

Then learn how to use the features. A lot of folks get a gps but don't practice with it till they need it.

Agreed...I'd hate to think how difficult it would be to figure out a new (to me) unit "on the fly" while trying to cache...I've taken it with me on the road, out to breakfast, etc. I always seem to think of new things that confuse me or that I want to change a setting on to make it more "friendly".

I just started geocaching two days ago and bought the Garmin eTrex H. It was on sale at Sports Authority for $99 but is on Walmart.com for $75. I didn't want to wait. Anyway, we found 4 of 5 Saturday and had no problems in cover - which we were in most of the day. So far, I am very happy with the device, easy to use and accurate. Good luck!!