GPS enabled digital cameras

Lots of choices; Oregon 550, Palm Pre, Apple iPhone, Ricoh 550SE, others. Best for you depends on how much money you can spend and/or what's more important, quality GPS or quality camera.

More options: If quality photos matter, Nikon D200 ( and later?) accepts a hardwire connection to a 60CSX. Any digital camera with a reliable time stamp can be sync'd to a tracklog with either gpicsync or Geosetter. And, if you are using a camera without a time stamp (film for example) and you locate waypoints where you take photos, Geosetter will link the scanned image to a waypoint. Gpicsync and Geosetter are both freeware. Geosetter has way more options.

Releasethedogs:

You probably have a GPSr since you are here. What model do you have? Read post #5 again by seldom. the advantages of using your GPSr and a tagging program are more tools, options and KML files that you can send to anyone showing your track and the embedded photos.

Releasethedogs:

You probably have a GPSr since you are here. What model do you have? Read post #5 again by seldom. the advantages of using your GPSr and a tagging program are more tools, options and KML files that you can send to anyone showing your track and the embedded photos.

I have a Garmin eTrex and a Dakota 10

I realize that you can go in and manually edit the meta data but i wanted it to be automatic.

Releasethedogs:

I have a Garmin eTrex and a Dakota 10

I realize that you can go in and manually edit the meta data but i wanted it to be automatic.

It will be automatic as long as you set your camera clock to match your GPS clock. Otherwise you'll find you have to do a fair bit of fiddling. It can still be done, but there will be a strong tendency to indelicate language.

One other thing, exiftoolgui (pretty manual) lets you manually edit all the metatdata associated with the photo. I've used it to add time stamps (based on waypoints) to scanned film images.

Edited by seldom_sn
More options: If quality photos matter, Nikon D200 ( and later?) accepts a hardwire connection to a 60CSX

I had my old D1x tethered to a Garmin GPS III for automatic Geo-tagging. Cost me about $80 for the GPS and the cable.

I never managed to get a 10-pin adapter for my D200 when I sold the D1x, it was just cumbersome to have a DSLR and a Garmin tethered (I never had a flashmount cradle for it). A lot of people use the gecko with a 3rd party flash-mount cradle attached to the D200.

Another option I found superior and actually use: When I sold my D200 for a D2x, I also bought a N2 Di-GPS, a little guy that connects to the flash slot and connects to the 10-pin of the D200, D2x, D300, D2hs, and D3 series cameras. I believe Di-GPS has a version for certain GPS-enabled Cannon cameras.

Every time I go in the wild to take photos, the Di-GPS is attached to my D2x.

My Di-GPS was $65 on the 'bay, small, with high sensitivity receiver, and allows me to use my hand held without it being tethered to my DSLR.

Here is the N2 attached to a D200 to show you the compact size:

http://www.di-gps.com/di-GPS/n2.htm

Edited by XJ_ASSA

I'm with the guys that "manually" sync the pics to the GPSr, but for what it's worth, you might not be aware that Ricoh makes an "automatic" DSLR-GPS camera....$1800.

Cheers,

Jim

this is the professional camera that i was told about.

I was also told that point and shoot cameras with gps built in would be hitting the market this holiday season.

I guess not if no one knows about them . lol.