Geocachers. What makes us different from the rest

I used to look around at events at all the electronics (PDAs GPS units etc) and think we must look pretty geeky to outside observers.

Then one day I attended a meeting held at a corporate office and saw a lot of folks with 2 or even 3 cells phone on thier belts plus a PDA plus a laptop and balancing other gadgets on all of the above.

The difference is that we actually know how to use them.

We know a secret. We have something else to do. We have gadgets. We have the evolution of a technologically-based affluent post-industrial consumer society on our side, at least for the moment.

Of course my wife would also say that I am obsessed and that knowing there is a micro in a lamp post is not much of a secret, but it makes me "different."

Edited by Erickson

I used to look around at events at all the electronics (PDAs GPS units etc) and think we must look pretty geeky to outside observers.

Then one day I attended a meeting held at a corporate office and saw a lot of folks with 2 or even 3 cells phone on thier belts plus a PDA plus a laptop and balancing other gadgets on all of the above.

The difference is that we actually know how to use them.

Every time I start to think like that someone shows me some simple trick that make me realize I don't know squat about all these gadgets.

I met a girl once. She was really sweet, and kind of cute. I asked her what she did; she didn't have a job, because she was on disability -- although there didn't appear to be anything wrong with her. She didn't have any hobbies, either. When I asked what she did all day, she said she watched TV, or chatted with friends on Yahoo, or talked to her sister on the phone. She never read books or newspapers or magazines.

That was pretty much the end of our relationship. There just wasn't anything we could talk about.

But I meet a lot of people like her, blissfully ignorant folk with an astounding lack of curiosity about the world around them.

I'm not saying that all non-geocachers are like that. But all people who are like that are non-geocachers.

I get super excited to see lamp posts and electrical boxes!

We have a new reason to go out exploring the urban area around us, new cities, hiking trails etc in search of new geocaches, before my daughter would complain about hiking trips, now she's excited because it means more smilies.

It's a "sport" that I can share with my family who live in another city.

What makes us different from the rest of the world?

We managed to take satellites that we, unwillingly, paid for and made a game out of it. The rest paid for the satellites and, well, they just sit there watching their money getting spent for a bunch of geeks to go out and play.

AND.... we know all the best places to hide a body