New "residents" in cache. What to do?

kingsting

I have a cache in a specially-made birdhouse. A finder recently mentioned that the container was found on the ground. Mice have chewed their way into the birdhouse and made a nest where the container normally resides and pushed it out. The wife and I checked on this and found a couple sets of eyes peeking out at us. I disabled the cache for the time being.

My options are:

Archive the cache and let them live in the birdhouse. Maybe repair it in the spring after the residents have left.

Boot them out, repair the birdhouse, open the hide back up, and make Mrs. kingsting mad at me for tossing the cute little fuzzy bugggers out in the cold.

Make another birdhouse and reopen the hide.

Forget the hide. It's over 5 years old and all the locals have found it. Let someone else have a shot at the location.

:)

I have a cache in a specially-made birdhouse. A finder recently mentioned that the container was found on the ground. Mice have chewed their way into the birdhouse and made a nest where the container normally resides and pushed it out. The wife and I checked on this and found a couple sets of eyes peeking out at us. I disabled the cache for the time being.

My options are:

Archive the cache and let them live in the birdhouse. Maybe repair it in the spring after the residents have left.

Boot them out, repair the birdhouse, open the hide back up, and make Mrs. kingsting mad at me for tossing the cute little fuzzy bugggers out in the cold.

Forget the hide. It's over 5 years old and all the locals have found it. Let someone else have a shot at the location.

I would archive it and create a new one in a different spot with a new 'birdhouse'.

My options are:

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Um, yeah. The bleeding-heart squishy on the inside tree-hugging, nature loving, side of me says let the cache go and let the rodents enjoy winter in some nice digs.

Better in the bird house than in your house, right?

If the Mrs. is leaning towards letting them stay then there really is only one option.

Did they properly log their find and share their experience on-line?

If not delete them and and deal with the wrath of the Missus!

Really I would say let them be, may be a cold winter and they seem happy, maybe just check on it in the spring and remove the container when they have moved on and are done using it.

My options are:

Option #5.. bring the shovel.

Work with them. Give the Mrs a smile that you are taking care of the "cute furry" things. Perhaps make their life completely luxiously by feeding them. :laughing:

- or -

If ya,

got a mouse and ya want it gone,

but you ain't got the guts,

it keeps vacating your cache night and day,

enough to drive you nuts,

pick up the phone,

leave the mouse alone,

It's time you made a stand.

For a fee,

I'm happy to be,

Your no-mouse man

Dirty Deeds, Done Dirt Cheap

My options are:

:laughing:

If it were me I'd boot the residents and fix the cache since cachers will look for it if it's disabled, archived, or what have you. That way the residents will have a new home and not be disturbed by cachers hunting blind off old data.

Are they native field mice that have more right to the forest than you do? Or are they introduced pests who have come from Europe and are a blight on the local wildlife?

That'll tell you whether to evict them or not. (I let my dog chase & kill rabbits, but not possums, koalas or kangaroos.)

But I do prefer the option of archiving it, and letting someone else place a cache in the vicinity. (That way, you get the smiley).

win-win-win

Are they native field mice that have more right to the forest than you do? Or are they introduced pests who have come from Europe and are a blight on the local wildlife?

That'll tell you whether to evict them or not. (I let my dog chase & kill rabbits, but not possums, koalas or kangaroos.)

But I do prefer the option of archiving it, and letting someone else place a cache in the vicinity. (That way, you get the smiley).

win-win-win

I turned a blind eye to my dog's destruction of all things 'possum, but we never allowed her to chase rabbits. Koalas and kangas were not an option.

win-win-win

I turned a blind eye to my dog's destruction of all things 'possum, but we never allowed her to chase rabbits. Koalas and kangas were not an option.

Geez, I thought my dog was goofy for chasing sticks! Slow, too!

win-win-win

I was never able to get my dog to chase a stick or a ball, which was kind of a bummer because one of the reasons that I got her was my fond memories of throwing the ball for my childhood pup. Still, she was a great dog.

It amazes me how some people would do whatever to kill mice living in the woods or wherever that doesn't threaten man.

Mice are part of the ecosystem and no different from any other form of wildlife. Why kill mice, just because they are mice? Would they do the same with turtles, frogs, lizards, or any other animal?

I understand wanting to kill mice in your house, or even your yard, but why the hatred for mice in the woods?

win-win-win

I was never able to get my dog to chase a stick or a ball, which was kind of a bummer because one of the reasons that I got her was my fond memories of throwing the ball for my childhood pup. Still, she was a great dog.

My dog has never seen the attraction for playing fetch. You throw the ball once he brings it back. You throw it twice he goes and lays down next to it and stares at you. It's almost like he's saying "It's over here dummy. Get it yourself."

win-win-win

My dog has never seen the attraction for playing fetch. You throw the ball once he brings it back. You throw it twice he goes and lays down next to it and stares at you. It's almost like he's saying "It's over here dummy. Get it yourself."

When I throw a stick for my dog she's like "You show me the treat, I'll fetch you the stick."

At least a rabbit is its own built-in treat. :o And "treats" are in plague proportions right now.

How about this...get yourself a new cache container...move the "occupied" one a few feet over, add a little "OCCUPADO" sign to it. Put up new (and improved) UNOCCUPIED container where old one was, change no coordinates.

Mice will be moved to a new neighborhood, and they can decide if they want to stay or not. Check the old house occasionally, maybe they'll vacate and you can reclaim.

Wife's happy, you're not sleeping with the fishes, and life is good. Plus you won't have to change any posted info on your cache. :o

find a local cat and point it towards the bird house, if the birdhouse accidently falls over near the cat ... well nature will take its course :)

If the mice leave and the feline moves in, then you'd have a Cathouse, no? (Yeah, my bad) Seriously, whatever makes the wife happy is the smart choice... don't let a birdhouse land you in the doghouse (BTDT) :)

These must be the best housed mice in town. What a compliment. I'd move mice and "their" house a little ways away, with a bit of food to soften the blow and put a new cache up. It's a cute story - and I am with your wife 100%.

To Mrs B - thanks for posting that hilarious cartoon of the mouse at the computer! :rolleyes: