Compass

bradly22

I need a good compass for Geocaching, but don't want to spend a lot on one, any suggestions?

Actually, you do want to spend a lot on one. Too, it depends on what you consider "a lot" to be.

I do not think you should be afraid to spend $30 -$50 (or more) (equivalent) on a quality piece of equipment that could save your life.

That's just my viewpoint.

I need a good compass for Geocaching, but don't want to spend a lot on one, any suggestions?

Actually, you do want to spend a lot on one. Too, it depends on what you consider "a lot" to be.

I do not think you should be afraid to spend $30 -$50 (or more) (equivalent) on a quality piece of equipment that could save your life.

save my life? i just want one for when my gps loses signal in the trees LOL

You never know - it might be the only way for you to find your way out when you're out of batteries. Still, I concede "saving your life" might be rather unlikely.

I'm not sure what is your budget, but I have a Suunto compass for about $10 more than 15 years ago, and I'm still using it today. Probably something similar to the A-10 ($12.59 at Amazon, $14.50 at REI).

You never know - it might be the only way for you to find your way out when you're out of batteries. Still, I concede "saving your life" might be rather unlikely.

I'm not sure what is your budget, but I have a Suunto compass for about $10 more than 15 years ago, and I'm still using it today. Probably something similar to the A-10 ($12.59 at Amazon, $14.50 at REI).

sounds about like what i'm looking for, Thanks!!!

I agree with Gitchee-Gummee. I have more than 30 compasses. Also consider a very good book, 'Be Expert With Map and Compass' by Bjorn Kellstrom. $12.95 USD It's a great little book with quizzes and a practice topo map.

Seeing how everyone goes off topic,even through they are correct about some of it. You can get a good compass for about 10 dollars in the sporting or hunting section of your local walmart. Like the first few people said a compass will save your life, and its no laughing matter.

Seeing how everyone goes off topic,even through they are correct about some of it. You can get a good compass for about 10 dollars in the sporting or hunting section of your local walmart. Like the first few people said a compass will save your life, and its no laughing matter.

I must disagree here. Sure, you can buy a compass at Walmart for $10, and you can buy a compass for $1.99 and I probably have them in my collection. Would I put myself in a situation where I had to depend on them? HECK NO!

Save a little longer and buy quality the first time. I recommend a Cammenga Lensatic Model 27CS. It uses a copper induction damper which allows the magnet to slowly rotate without fluid. Cammenga has an excellent website as well. The price? $50. Money well spent and should last for generations.

Define a lot.

If you go by what I have spent on them then $50 is not a lot.

You can get a nice lensatic at around $50.

Most people only want to know general direction so a bubble gum machine compass 50¢ is good enough. They can be up to 10º off of magnetic.

With this, you can stone two birds with one kill:

http://www.campingsurvival.com/sisptocothma.html

It is a compass with a safety whistle built in.

fradar.gif

I have three of those. they miss magnetic north by 3, 4 & 7º.

I bought one similar to this one that is isted on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Multifunction-Military...=item3a53d01b42

I had to buy a compass to install my satellite system many years ago. I paid less than $20 retail for it at a sporting goods store.

It was fluid filled and had markings every 2 degrees.

I figure if its good enough to set a satellite dish (+/- 2 degrees) then it will more than likely get you out of the woods in an emergency.

I still ocasionally use a Silva base plate compass (Boy Scout edition) that I got over 40 years ago to show my Scouts (I am a Scoutmaster) basic land navigation.

You can get a basic Silva compass for under $20. I got my son a Silva Ranger ($50+) for Orienteering.

I am not a fan of lensetic compasses. I am a retired soldier. I actually used my old Boy Scout compass more than the lensetic compasses I was issued.

Go to a sporting goods store and look at what they have to offer. Read the numbers. Rotate the dial.

Don't buy the $2.98 Walmart special. How much is your life worth?

Edited by WeeWillie

I've used the plastic scout compass from this page, from Dick's Sporting Goods. (surely NOT at the price listed! more like $12.95)

http://www.campingsurvival.com/leco.html

the Lensatic compass is great for viewing the degrees while getting a line of view in that direction... I've used it for a few Letterbox hunts.. Most are pretty accurate, but quite a few are subject to drift if near any form of magnetic field that will erode the needle's field. (like doing something stupid, like dropping it in the side-pocket of your car door.. Right next to the radio speaker. <D'OH!> )

keep in mind, compass by itself does not magically point to "home" you still need an accurate topo to detetmine where you are and which way you need to go.therwise its useless.

I had a Silva baseplate model I had for 12 years and recently threw away. The fluid evaporated. I now have a lensatic style compass in my geobag at all times. Use it in the woods to orient my Gps map, since the GPS i use is a road model not made for Geocaching.