Can Groundspeak fix old dates on caches?

Whittling Fisher

I have found a few caches that show the date hidden as 1901 (ex. GC1ACD1). I didn't really care that much until I downloaded a PQ with the cache and it crashes the mapping program I use (MapSource). The date causes problems where it won't even load the file at all. I was just curious why caches are even allowed to post dates this old when geocaching is obviously a new sport and not 100 years old :). Can anything be done to correct this error?

The 1901 placed date is a bug, specific to users of the Safari Browser.

The cache owner probably can't fix it. Or couldn't fix it at the time the cache was submitted - I believe that bug has been fixed (I could be wrong). In any case, you can email the cache owner, or a local reviewer or contact@geocaching.com and ask that the date be corrected.

The cache owner may not be able to make the correction if they're still using Safari and the bug has not been fixed.

The 1901 placed date is a bug, specific to users of the Safari Browser.

The cache owner probably can't fix it. Or couldn't fix it at the time the cache was submitted - I believe that bug has been fixed (I could be wrong). In any case, you can email the cache owner, or a local reviewer or contact@geocaching.com and ask that the date be corrected.

The cache owner may not be able to make the correction if they're still using Safari and the bug has not been fixed.

When I placed my first cache I used Safari and htis was an issue for me. Even when it was published I had to use my work Dell to change the date.

After that I ended up downloading FireFox at home and no problems since.

I've advised the cache owner that his 1901 date is causing angst. However, the cache is disabled so should not show up on a PQ if you check the box to only show active caches.

The cache owner is an old fart like me and I believe wants the cache page to reflect his birthday. :)

(I wouldn't say that if he wasn't a friend)

~erik~

I've advised the cache owner that his 1901 date is causing angst. However, the cache is disabled so should not show up on a PQ if you check the box to only show active caches.

The cache owner is an old fart like me and I believe wants the cache page to reflect his birthday. :)

(I wouldn't say that if he wasn't a friend)

~erik~

It was showing up in the "My Finds" PQ I download, so it will continue to cause an issue until the date is changed. I don't look at "My Finds" very often, so it isn't really an issue. I was just playing around looking and wanting to see where I'd cached at so far when I found the problem. I talked to Garmin and they are trying to see if they can make some small changes to MapSource so that it will not crash when an unusual date like this occurs.

Thanks for all the replies and information about why this occurs. Happy caching :)

Since my PQ's are set up by date placed and the earliest date you can select is 1/1/94 what is the best way to find the predated ones? Do you just have to know about them?

Select "List Newest in <your area>", and go to the end of the resulting list.

For the United Kingdom, for example, I get GC1PD02 shown dated 3 Jan 70.

I see some validity in allowing caches with older placed dates than the current date, but i think it's reasonable to limit that to a couple months.

If it's some sort of pre-geocaching container being used as a geocache then the 'date it became a geocache' seems more appropriate anyway.

It should also be impossible for owners to delete any reivewer notes (such as the published log).

I have found a few caches that show the date hidden as 1901 (ex. GC1ACD1). I didn't really care that much until I downloaded a PQ with the cache and it crashes the mapping program I use (MapSource). The date causes problems where it won't even load the file at all. I was just curious why caches are even allowed to post dates this old when geocaching is obviously a new sport and not 100 years old :). Can anything be done to correct this error?

Your problem was solved a couple of hours ago.

I have found a few caches that show the date hidden as 1901 (ex. GC1ACD1). I didn't really care that much until I downloaded a PQ with the cache and it crashes the mapping program I use (MapSource). The date causes problems where it won't even load the file at all. I was just curious why caches are even allowed to post dates this old when geocaching is obviously a new sport and not 100 years old :o. Can anything be done to correct this error?

Your problem was solved a couple of hours ago.

Thanks phat.bak. I didn't bother you personally about it because I thought it was just MapSource acting up at first. Look forward to finding some more of your caches. I keep hearing about nightmares about a bamboo forest? Might have to check that one out :)

It wasn't me that changed it. I guess one of the reviewers took it upon themselves to do it. Anonymously, I might add. Just wish they had given me the courtesy of an email letting me know it was done.

I noticed that all of the other caches listed have had their dates changed, also.

Glad it isn't screwing with your program now.

It wasn't me that changed it. I guess one of the reviewers took it upon themselves to do it. Anonymously, I might add. Just wish they had given me the courtesy of an email letting me know it was done.

I noticed that all of the other caches listed have had their dates changed, also.

1. You know it was a reviewer and not a Lackey how?

2. Why should they 'let you know'? Did you do it on purpose?

1. You know it was a reviewer and not a Lackey how?

2. Why should they 'let you know'? Did you do it on purpose?

1. I don't know. I just know it wasn't me. Reviewer/Lackey = same thing to us 'commoners'.

2a. Because it is a cache that I created and maintain. Common courtesy.

2b. Originally - NO. (I use a Mac with Safari) - Later on - Yes.