Morris code puzzle

JohnE5

I am considering posting a puzzle cache that has Morris code on the listing. Once decoded it will subtly tell you to find a persons profile in geocaching.com. Once found, the profile with have a link that will connect (anonymously) to a Google voice account. The call is free by the way. The voicemail message will contain another Morris code but the actual sounds obviously. The caller may need to call back several times to decode the entire message which will lead to the cache.

Thoughts on difficulty level, improvements, unforeseen problems?

I am considering posting a puzzle cache that has Morris code on the listing. Once decoded it will subtly tell you to find a persons profile in geocaching.com. Once found, the profile with have a link that will connect (anonymously) to a Google voice account. The call is free by the way. The voicemail message will contain another Morris code but the actual sounds obviously. The caller may need to call back several times to decode the entire message which will lead to the cache.

Do you mean Morse code?

Unforseen problem is if the other cachers page gets altered but otherwise it's a good idea (for those who like puzzles)

Sounds pretty neat to me. I have a couple of puzzles that use phones. There are a couple of versions of Morse Code too. I did a puzzle one time that used some old version that was used by the railways in America and it took a while to figure out, even after you knew it was Morse Code, because the style was archaic.

Morris?

Morris_the_Cat.jpg

:)

Crud, you beat me to it. I used to love that cat.

I believe Alfred Vail is the guy who really invented Morse Code, but didn't get the credit for it.

Morse code isn't really a huge accomplisment if you think about it. Finding a way to make it useful was the accomplisment.

Given your location, why don't you find a guy(named Morris??) to make a video. Edited by John E Cache

I think it's interesting, but having to listen to Morse code twice sounds tedious to anyone who can't get it at full speed. I think having the second stage is a good idea, just not Morse code again. Use it either in the 1st or 2nd stage only.

I've done a puzzle cache where an audio stream of some morse code was used. It was just one small part of the entire puzzle that contained many parts. I used to know morse code (I passed the code portion of the novice ham radio test when I was 9 years old) but for this one I used a program which translated the audio to text.

the profile with have a link that will connect (anonymously) to a Google voice account. The call is free by the way.

Do I need to have Google voice account to do this? if so, the cache is not guideline's compliant - ie, you can't take me somewhere that I must create an account. If it's just a phone call that I can make it without an account, great.

Caches that require a geocacher to visit another website will not be published if the finder must create an account with, or provide personal information to, the other website.

No, its just a widget on the profile. I have one on mine. You just click on it and enter your number. Google will call you then call me.

Doubt that would be approved under the guidelines. I certainly would never use it. There are ways to put it on the webpage. That is how you should do it.

Which guideline would finding another cachers profile violate? Which one would be violated by clicking on a button and recieving a phone call for free that connects you to the second part of the puzzle?

The whole point is for the finder to think the puzzle is on the page then learn they have to hear morse code and decode it.

Neat Idea!!

QUOTE(Allanon @ Oct 20 2009, 03:13 PM)

Morris?

Looks like the right one to me.

All we have to do is properly decode the meows.

We have a puzzle cache up here been around since 2005

"Crazy Cat Cache: The Crazy Lair" (GCQZPC)

“purr meow”“meow meow meow meow purr”“meow meow meow purr purr” “meow meow meow meow purr”“purr purr meow meow meow”“meow purr meow purr meow purr”“purr purr purr purr meow””meow meow purr purr purr”“meow meow meow purr purr”

“meow purr purr”“purr purr meow meow meow”“purr purr purr purr meow” “meow meow meow meow meow”“purr purr purr purr meow”“meow purr meow purr meow purr”“meow purr purr purr purr”“purr purr purr purr purr”“meow meow meow purr purr”

No, its just a widget on the profile. I have one on mine. You just click on it and enter your number. Google will call you then call me.

Which guideline would finding another cachers profile violate? Which one would be violated by clicking on a button and recieving a phone call for free that connects you to the second part of the puzzle?

The part of the ToU (4k) that states you cannot "Collect or store personal data about other Site users."

Edited by wimseyguy