What should new geocachers know about trackables?

OpinioNate

I'm activating a vehicle TB and I see a check box marked "Make Collectible". What does this mean?

The Collectible option is for trackable items that you want to keep with you at all times. It's used mostly by cachers with Collections of geocoins that don't go out travelling from cache to cache but stay in their private collection.

If you mark your vehicle TB 'Collectible' you can then select the drop-down option 'Move to collection'. This means it will no longer show up in your 'Trackables Inventory'. Other cachers who see its tracking number will be able to log 'Discovered it' for your vehicle, or a Note log. This option will work well for your vehicle...

But...

If you want the ability to log your vehicle 'into' caches for mileage, e.g. you want to drive it to an event and log it into the event to show it was there, OR if you want to log a 'visit' for the vehicle to other caches that you may drive to, then you'll need to designate it as 'Not Collectible'. It will then show in your Trackables Inventory, all ready to be dropped off into a cache.

MrsB :)

I'm activating a vehicle TB and I see a check box marked "Make Collectible". What does this mean?

The Collectible option is for trackable items that you want to keep with you at all times. It's used mostly by cachers with Collections of geocoins that don't go out travelling from cache to cache but stay in their private collection.

If you mark your vehicle TB 'Collectible' you can then select the drop-down option 'Move to collection'. This means it will no longer show up in your 'Trackables Inventory'. Other cachers who see its tracking number will be able to log 'Discovered it' for your vehicle, or a Note log. This option will work well for your vehicle...

But...

If you want the ability to log your vehicle 'into' caches for mileage, e.g. you want to drive it to an event and log it into the event to show it was there, OR if you want to log a 'visit' for the vehicle to other caches that you may drive to, then you'll need to designate it as 'Not Collectible'. It will then show in your Trackables Inventory, all ready to be dropped off into a cache.

But...

MrsB, thank you so much for your most helpful post. I seem to have made a mess of the reply (the interface is just way too confusing).

Don't worry! :)

If you want to reply to a specific post, and quote that post, then click the 'Reply' with the cross in black box underneath that post. That gives you the whole of the other person's post in your reply box... You can (if you wish) edit their post to select just the specific part you wish to address. Then, underneath their quoted post, you type in your reply.

If you simply want to post a general post to the whole topic you just click the 'Add Reply' in the blue box.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

I've been trying to find this, does anyone know specifically how Groundspeak calculates the "Trackables Logged" and "Trackables Moved/Discovered" in the User Profile? Do all discoveries count? What about on owned trackables? How do they define moved - is it retrieved and dropped or just dropped? What if you move a trackable twice?

Thanks.

I've been trying to find this, does anyone know specifically how Groundspeak calculates the "Trackables Logged" and "Trackables Moved/Discovered" in the User Profile? Do all discoveries count? What about on owned trackables? How do they define moved - is it retrieved and dropped or just dropped? What if you move a trackable twice?

Thanks.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=2824302

Yes, if you discover a trackable you get the icon and it will give you +1 on your left column "Trackables Moved/Discovered". If you retrieve a trackable from a cache you get the icon for it and it's added to your total as soon as you've retrieved it (i.e. before you drop it into its next cache).

The mileages on trackables only show for completed moves i.e. between retrieve and drop-off, or between individual visits to caches.

Your Owned Trackables appear in the right column. If you have more than one of any item it shows the number you own - I can see that you own 4 travel bugs.

"What if you move a trackable twice?"

I don't know. I've never thought about that one - I'm not sure whether that gives you another +1 on your statistics. It might be worth asking as a separate question in the TB forum - somebody there will know!

MrsB

I did some testing today and retrieving from a cache doesn't always count toward the total at least for owned trackables. It's weird though - I thought maybe owned bugs/coins are excluded altogether but I can tell from my own stats that they aren't always. The formula must not be so simple. Any guesses?

Edited by TBXplorer

Is the question "What should new geocachers know about trackables?" the right question?

All the information is allready on the website, available to everyone.

Shouldn't the question be something like "How do we get new geocachers to read the information about trackables?"?

Perhaps they should get the information when they are signing up for an account. A page that says:

Special items in caches which are owned by others. Read about it here!

Click here to complete your account.

Ruud4d, you are right that people should make an attempt to RTFM first, but you have to also remember that this site is not overly intuitive for a noob, the FAQs are by no means exhaustive, other information is scattered and it doesn't help either if you are not even sure what questions you want to ask. For example, looking through the site and the board I have not found anything to tell me if I can actually look for caches that contain trackables or whether I just stumble across them. Also, while again your sentiments are right and good, don't you think posting a RTFM comment kinda contradicts the comment about "there is no such thing as a silly question"? and discourages noobs from asking questions or learning? The job of a teacher is not just to impart knowledge, but to have the patience with the students who struggle to learn.

Please don't take this reply as a bash, and I realize there are some that don't even attempt to look things up (and those should rightly be "corrected"). I am just looking out for the noobs and trying to avoid intimidating them from joining in. Being the new kid in a new school can be daunting ;-)

I'm fairly new, I know I want to find trackables, but most of the ones around here that show trackables have long since been missing before we got there, yet they still show to be there, But there's one that shows a tag/coin & even shows a picture of it with the comments, "due to being muggled I only put out virtual trackables, if you don't agree with thatm don't find it" WTH? What does that mean? Do I actually have to see her & the coin to get to log it? Cause it dang sure isn't in the cache...Maybe that's why this is all so confusing to us newbies.

I'm fairly new, I know I want to find trackables, but most of the ones around here that show trackables have long since been missing before we got there, yet they still show to be there, But there's one that shows a tag/coin & even shows a picture of it with the comments, "due to being muggled I only put out virtual trackables, if you don't agree with thatm don't find it" WTH? What does that mean? Do I actually have to see her & the coin to get to log it? Cause it dang sure isn't in the cache...Maybe that's why this is all so confusing to us newbies.

What it means is that the owner has put out some sort of proxy/copy of her item. These are often a photocopy of a geocoin, sometimes mounted on card, sometimes laminated. It will show the tracking number of the geocoin so it can be logged and moved from cache to cache in the same way as if it was the original metal coin.

We are new to the game and are interested in trackables. Is there a way of searching in which caches there is one or is it only by luck one can find them?

Killakul

:rolleyes:

You will see trackables on an individual cache's page. There is a little box with an icon between the maps on the right side, and it says "Inventory." If your goal is to go out and find trackables, though, be sure to also read the logs and make sure that no one recently reported that the trackables were missing from that cache.

What it means is that the owner has put out some sort of proxy/copy of her item. These are often a photocopy of a geocoin, sometimes mounted on card, sometimes laminated. It will show the tracking number of the geocoin so it can be logged and moved from cache to cache in the same way as if it was the original metal coin.

I picked up my first TB the other day. I wasn't sure what the proper protocol was so I emailed the owner and told him/her what I planned to do with it. Since I haven't received a response I'm hoping some of you can offer guidance.

Instead of placing it in another local cache (in Virginia) I was planning on moving it to a cache in West Virginia. The thing is, I won't be going up there for a few weeks, maybe a month. My cousin works for Olive Garden and is being moved to Beckley in the near future. I told the TB owner that if he/she isn't okay with this I would move it to a local cache asap.

So, what do you all think? Would you be okay with someone holding your TB a little longer than normal if that meant a move to a new state? By the way, I am logging it with each new cache I visit so there's record of its travel.

I picked up my first TB the other day. I wasn't sure what the proper protocol was so I emailed the owner and told him/her what I planned to do with it. Since I haven't received a response I'm hoping some of you can offer guidance.

Instead of placing it in another local cache (in Virginia) I was planning on moving it to a cache in West Virginia. The thing is, I won't be going up there for a few weeks, maybe a month. My cousin works for Olive Garden and is being moved to Beckley in the near future. I told the TB owner that if he/she isn't okay with this I would move it to a local cache asap.

So, what do you all think? Would you be okay with someone holding your TB a little longer than normal if that meant a move to a new state? By the way, I am logging it with each new cache I visit so there's record of its travel.

I'd be fine with it. As well as emailing the owner directly, you could post a note on the TB page stating your intentions. As long as it's going places and following its mission ("another TB that likes SCUBA diving. Lets go places and take photos together. Take him anywhere fun.") then all's well.

... that the info sheet (and the how-to) is misleading. Groundspeak has seemed to be fallen in love with the word "grab", so they use it everywhere where they can, appropriate or not. Replacing it with the the correct "retrieve" or "take out of cache" seems to be no point of consideration.

So new cachers try to do as told, which ends up with trackables being continuously grabbed and not being logged to any place.

Info sheet:

"If you are willing to log your part of this Trackable's journey and place it in another geocache as soon as possible (after you log your find), grab it from this geocache."

Grab? Really?

How about this:

"If you are willing to log your part of this Trackable's journey and place it in another geocache as soon as possible (after you log your find), retrieve it from this geocache."

How-to:

"Step 1. Get the Tracking Number

In order to log your find and "grab" the Travel Bug, you first need to locate the Bug's tracking number."

"Step 3. Found it? Log it!

Once you reach the Travel Bug listing, you will need to write a log to let the owner know that you found it. By logging the find you are also 'grabbing' the Travel Bug and putting it in your account's online inventory."

Second paragraph then explains the difference between retrieve and grab quite nicely - but too late. The TMTR-generation of all ages of nowadays hardly keeps on reading that far (if they ever bother to go to that page).

How about:

"Step 1. Get the Tracking Number

In order to log your find and add the Travel Bug to your inventory, you first need to locate the Bug's tracking number."

"Step 3. Found it? Log it!

Once you reach the Travel Bug listing, you will need to write a log to let the owner know that you found it. By logging the find you are also 'grabbing' the Travel Bug and putting it in your account's online inventory."

BTW - I usually find the TBs first and then look for their Tracking Number.

Am I doing it in the wrong order since years :blink: ?

Edited by harraps

Groundspeak is interested in finding ways to better educate new geocachers on the proper etiquette for handling trackables. I am personally aware of many incidences of trackables going missing - not through any malice on the part of the bugnapper - rather by simply being misinformed about this one aspect of the game. There is a lot to learn when first starting out, so please help everyone by answering the question:

Thanks! :D

My advice for people that have found someones TB. When you find the next caches before you drop it in another one..... have the TB "visit" the other caches. This shows the cache owner that it is still alive and moving, and it add miles onto the total.

My advice would be to move the bug along within a reasonable time and the owner wouldn't even have a reason to worry that it is still alive.

I have actually started posting a sort of trackable etiquette on the pages of my trackables. I figure this would help to some degree. I agree that most missing trackables are probably due to new cachers that are uneducated about how it works. Perhaps setting up a mandatory tutorial for people when they first sign up for an account might help. I think some people sign up for the free membership, try it a few times, and decide it's not for them. In the meantime, they have picked up a trackable but don't know what to do with it or how to log it. There are a lot of options for things to try. Maybe setting up a mandatory link on every cache page titled "What to do with trackables" or something to that effect which takes them to the geocaching.com page about them. That wouldn't be too hard to do. Program it to automatically add during the cache setup process.

I'm new to geocaching and have ordered and received 4 trackables! What do I do now? I placed one in a cache and thought I had "activated" it but it's not listed? Can't you keep this simple?

You have to activate any new trackable. When you activate it it becomes linked to your geocaching account name - It then shows as belonging to you. If you've put an unactivated one into a cache you've just given away a new trackable to whoever finds it next... Can you go back and retrieve it from that cache?

To activate a trackable you need its tracking number (the number which is engraved on it) and the right activation code. The activation code is usually on the packaging that came with it.

If you have both those numbers you can follow the simple activation steps here: Activate Trackables.

MrsB

Groundspeak is interested in finding ways to better educate new geocachers on the proper etiquette for handling trackables. I am personally aware of many incidences of trackables going missing - not through any malice on the part of the bugnapper - rather by simply being misinformed about this one aspect of the game. There is a lot to learn when first starting out, so please help everyone by answering the question:

I have recently noticed a Geocaching premium member who has logged a particular TB that they FOUND with the comment "TOOK IT TO" on the last 25 caches they have found. They have not dropped this TB in any of these caches.

This seems to me to be quite pointless as my understanding of the TB etiquette is that you either "Retrieve", "Found It" or "Dropped" a TB.

Any comments would be appreciated.

I have recently noticed a Geocaching premium member who has logged a particular TB that they FOUND with the comment "TOOK IT TO" on the last 25 caches they have found. They have not dropped this TB in any of these caches.

This seems to me to be quite pointless as my understanding of the TB etiquette is that you either "Retrieve", "Found It" or "Dropped" a TB.

Any comments would be appreciated.

The 'Visit' log option is a feature introduced a Couple of years ago. IMO, It's a useful facility to use occasionally. See more discussion in this topic:

Travel Bug (visited) - Why take a TB for a visit?

MrsB

We are new to geocaching and were lucky enough to find our 1st TB today which we took. We then found another an hour later which we didn't take becuse we weren't sure of the ettiquette. Is it OK to take more than 1 TB at a time?

Also the first one had a handy little note attached saying what it wanted to do, so we knew we could fulfil this task. The second one didn't so I was worried we wouldn't be able to help. I also tried to log that we had discovered the 2nd one but I hadn't realised I needed the code on the TB to do this, so hadn't made note of it. I just mentioned it in the log. Is this ok?

Thanks

We are new to geocaching and were lucky enough to find our 1st TB today which we took. We then found another an hour later which we didn't take becuse we weren't sure of the ettiquette. Is it OK to take more than 1 TB at a time?

Also the first one had a handy little note attached saying what it wanted to do, so we knew we could fulfil this task. The second one didn't so I was worried we wouldn't be able to help. I also tried to log that we had discovered the 2nd one but I hadn't realised I needed the code on the TB to do this, so hadn't made note of it. I just mentioned it in the log. Is this ok?

Thanks

A mission note or tag is helpful, but many don't bother with it. Too, there are a lot of existing TB's that were out long before people started adding mission tags. Don't sweat it, if you see you cannot help its' travels, simply don't harm its' travel either -- just drop it before taking too far off course.

That said.... you will find that some people don't seem to give a hoot anyway. Oftentimes TB's are dragged in the opposite direction. So... yes, there is an etiquette, but not all bother with it.

You can take all the TBs that you can tote. The idea is to move them, not to leave them languish.

Side-Note: The tracking # is important (as you discovered). It is also important to hold that tracking # until your logging is complete and finished properly. It is oh-so often that people mislog, only later to find they cannot correct it 'cuz they don't have the number (duh!).

Thanks

A mission note or tag is helpful, but many don't bother with it. Too, there are a lot of existing TB's that were out long before people started adding mission tags. Don't sweat it, if you see you cannot help its' travels, simply don't harm its' travel either -- just drop it before taking too far off course.

That said.... you will find that some people don't seem to give a hoot anyway. Oftentimes TB's are dragged in the opposite direction. So... yes, there is an etiquette, but not all bother with it.

You can take all the TBs that you can tote. The idea is to move them, not to leave them languish.

Side-Note: The tracking # is important (as you discovered). It is also important to hold that tracking # until your logging is complete and finished properly. It is oh-so often that people mislog, only later to find they cannot correct it 'cuz they don't have the number (duh!).

Thanks for the info. I will keep note of the tracking # for the one we have got, just in case we get the log wrong when we set it free.

What does it mean on the trackable page when it asks if the trackable is "Collectible, yes or no"? Why would anyone send off a collectible travel bug...that is just one more reason for it to be nabbed! I must not be understanding the issue. Thanks! Nevermind, searched and found the answer. THanks anyway!

Edited by SeekYeFirst

It seems some cachers take a trackable and just carry it with them cache to cache never leaving it and reporting where they went. Is this a normal accepted way to move them? I have one that visited about ten locations, traveled 1700 miles and is in Canada.

"Dipping" (placing in a cache and immediately retrieving again) to show a TB went to a cache has existed since the inception of trackables. Relatively recently, a "Visit" log was incorporated into the logging options -- it is the same as "dipping" except that it is done in one felled swoop of the cursor, instead of separate logs in and out.

Now, with the advent of smart phones, some app programs allow for "auto-logging". That is, if a trackable is in the cacher's inventory, every time they log a cache find, each and every trackable they hold is automatically logged as a "visit". Many phone users are not even aware that this occurs.

I believe it was intended to log their personal trackable. Problem is.... it logs ALL in their inventory. Until the PTB takes it upon themselves to correct this, that is the way it will continue.

To the consternation of some (not all) trackable Owners, who do not like pages upon pages of blank "visited" logs, they get to 'suffer' through it. Not all, as mentioned, feel that way.

It is neither good nor bad.

It seems some cachers take a trackable and just carry it with them cache to cache never leaving it and reporting where they went. Is this a normal accepted way to move them? I have one that visited about ten locations, traveled 1700 miles and is in Canada.

Most people seem to accept that 'visiting' a trackable item is fine unless it is done to excess. I do it many times due to the fact that an item often requires a cache with enough room inside to accept it. The advent of 'micro' and 'nano' caches, even some 'small' caches, sometimes makes it difficult to place an item. But a 'visit' can add much to the 'history' of the traveller.

The owner knows that it is in someones hands, that it is gathering mileage, and that someone cares to take the time to log something about it... it is not sitting in some seldom visited cache waiting to be saved.

Visits should be representative of the trip in my opinion. A cluster of say 5 or so caches in the same area would deserve one visit to mark the trip to the area. A lot depends on contact with the owner if it is going to be a long session of visits. I don't think anyone should hold a trackable for a long time without contact or at least attempting contact. That is one reason I mostly don't deal with too many of them, this area is hard for them to escape quickly, as are many areas. I have to sometimes wait until I'm going to a more cache dense area to drop them. I have one for a while now that contact with the owner has been zero and it's mission is complete. I have to get it back on the road, but am struggling to deal with the no change to item restriction.

I want to issue new orders to the mission tag, since it was long ago completed, but no new orders were ever issued from the owner.

All I want to do is make sure it goes homeward (via USA western mountains - Rockies) and will add that to the mission tag.

Plus a note on the page as well to that effect. Anyway it still 'visits' with me and will get one last photo and story from that adventure.

Which brings up the point that people 'visiting' trackables should offer more than a log to the owner as compensation of some sort.

A visit should have at least a few words about WHY it went there to visit... ideally a photo at the site as well. Sometimes I simply mention having posted pics for the cache and the owner can check my log to see them.

Certainly the trackable owner can 'thin' out excess logs if they wish, but that might affect the cachers chosen 'history'.

I'd never remove any record that would remove all mention of them finding it or dropping it off, but might reduce 'blah' logs on clusters to clean up the travel map some. That would minimally disturb the 'facts', lowering mileage a tiny bit but not the route.

Doug 7rxc

The Vanish Log is the most important of all. If you know what happened to a Trackable, make a Log Note on its page, to let the owner off the hook. They've been wondering how the Trackable evaporated. Regardless of why it vanished, or how bad it seems (you don't need to go into specifics, either), please give people some closure.

If you're confused about online logging -- can't figure it out -- just place the Trackable into a cache.

And if anyone covets a Travel Bug's attached item (and just cannot bring themselves to move it along as they should), please at least leave the tag in a cache.

Edited by kunarion

I'm a complete n00b to caching. I'm very interested in trackables -- both TBs and Geocoins. Is there any place I can purchase a really interesting TB or Geocoin (or both), for my first hide/cache?

I know of a public place in southeastern North Carolina AND one in Horry County South Carolina in mind where not many caches are located -- and I want the TB to be desirable enough that cachers will go looking for it.

Point me to a link or send me a PM. I am *not* made of money, but I'm willing to spend a few bucks to get started off with a bang.

I'm a complete n00b to caching. I'm very interested in trackables -- both TBs and Geocoins. Is there any place I can purchase a really interesting TB or Geocoin (or both), for my first hide/cache?

I know of a public place in southeastern North Carolina AND one in Horry County South Carolina in mind where not many caches are located -- and I want the TB to be desirable enough that cachers will go looking for it.

Point me to a link or send me a PM. I am *not* made of money, but I'm willing to spend a few bucks to get started off with a bang.

Purchasing a bug is getting a tracking number on a tag. You make the traveler part. As for geocoins you's probably get a better response by opening a thread in the coin forum or finding a current thread that is similar to your question.

The main rule is never release anything you aren't willing to lose. Bugs are far easier to replace than a coin so be careful when you find a coin you like and then release it into the wild.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I have experienced repeat instances of frustration when trying to activate and log travel bugs. It's bad enough that I'm about to give up on this part of the game.

Today, for example, it took half a dozen attempts to activate the bug my wife gave me for Christmas. Apparently one does not add a space in the tracking number when first typing it in, even if there exists a space on the bug itself! Also, when I initially typed in the number and the activation code, I was redirected to a page in which the activation code was transposed in the field for the tracking number! When I typed in the number instead, the activation went forward.

Finally, I was not able to give it a name; this one seemed to come preset with one. Why?

And in the past, when logging tractables, I have found it very difficult to indicate when I have dropped it off in a different cache. I think I've figured that one out, though.

In any case, there's way too much obfuscation to make all of this FUN--and isn't that the point?

drjeff2011

My question is more about TB "etiquette". If there are more than one TBs in the same cache, is there a limit on how many you can take? I've wanted to retrieve a TB but every time I check the logs of caches that have them, I usually see people take 2 and 3 TBs at a time. Seems like a bit of a hog doesn't it? Is there some sort of etiquette regarding this? Like, leave some for the next person? Lol

I believe one way that would really help out would be to place the "Log Trackables" tab up front on the main page of Geocaching.com. As it is, “Find Trackables” are buried way down in the "Play" tab where it can be really hard to find. Given that trackables are the second most logged item on the site (after caches themselves) I don't understand why they are not on the front page for both awareness and education where newbie’s can easily see and find it. Many of TBs I have lost are sitting somewhere in a newbies desk pocket or desk drawer, because they have lost interest in the game and don’t know what they have. Furthermore, the initial trackable logging screen is not well laid out or intuitive. It’s not obvious what data needs to be entered. For example, it is not obvious that you can enter either a tracking code or TB code in the space provided. Trackables are an integral and interesting part of the game and I think Groundspeak does a disservice to geocachers in general by not having Trackables up from on the main geocaching.com page.

Bushman002

Is it legit to send a TB via mail to another cacher? A friend started caching recently and is enjoying it with his kids. I have one I was considering sending him, then he could grab it from me and hide it on his next outing. Don't want to do it if it's frowned upon.

I would like to ask a question about trackables. I apologize in advance if this was already addressed. I didn't have time to read all the comments.

I was wondering if it's alright to "discover" trackables in previously found caches. If somebody drops a trackable in a cache that I've all ready found, would it be "proper" for me to go to the cache and get the tracking number to discover it? I haven't done this yet, but there are a couple of caches within a few blocks of where I live, and they occasionally have trackables in them. I don't see why it would be an issue, especially if I just discover them and don't retrieve them. But I wanted to double check first. Thanks!

I've been caching for about a month now and I just picked up a TB. I hope I did the right thing.

I logged the find on the TB's page

I mentioned it on the cache's log as well

I also didn't know when I was going to drop the TB because I don't specifically hunt for TB sized caches so I left a message in the TB's page indicating that I was going to drop it the following week. Was that OK?

I buggered up my first attempt at logging a tb :( Instead of selecting retrieve, I selected something else so when I realised this was wrong I went back, deleted the entry under the illusion I could just log it again but it won't let me! it's not on my trackables page and my entry is not on the tb's page. what do I do?