What should new geocachers know about trackables?

OpinioNate

There was a email that a geocacher found a geocoin or Travel Bug but the Number is not working we check O and 0 found the right one but someone told me that Numbers to TB or Coins codes can go out of date or can be swop this this ture?? also some of my Geocoins was given to a geocacher but there have not move it on or report lost and on the website it is still in there name what can I do about this???

No, Once a travel is activated the tracking number will not change.

If you can give me a link to the coins you have a question about I might be able to give you an answer,

I have a suggestion.

First off, let me say that I really like that I can log my placement of a trackable item in a cache at the same time as logging the find - brilliant! However, it occurs to me today, after responding to an email from a new geocacher about how to log her geocoin find, that there might be room for improvement.

The options for trackable items are "Visited" and "Dropped Off." Observation #1: To some people, both of these sound temporary. Suggestion #1: Keep "Visited" and add "Placed In" or "Left" or something that sounds more permanent.

Observation #2: To a new cacher wanting to PLACE a TB/coin, they don't see a direct link between what is on the trackable's page and the options provided. For example...

When one selects the "visited" option, the trackable item's page reads "<Cacher's Name> took it to <Cache's Name>"

When one selects the "dropped off" option, the trackable item's page reads "<Cacher's Name> placed it in <Cache's Name>"

Why the difference? If we are trying to make things easier, then there should be more consistency in our terminology. When I was trying to explain to the new cacher how to place a trackable in a cache, my instructions were "Select the 'Dropped Off' option." Suggestion #2: Same as suggestion #1, but now the reason is consistency rather than "dropped off" sounds temporary.

In short, I think "Dropped Off" should be changed to "Placed".

Just a thought...

I have a suggestion.

First off, let me say that I really like that I can log my placement of a trackable item in a cache at the same time as logging the find - brilliant! However, it occurs to me today, after responding to an email from a new geocacher about how to log her geocoin find, that there might be room for improvement.

The options for trackable items are "Visited" and "Dropped Off." Observation #1: To some people, both of these sound temporary. Suggestion #1: Keep "Visited" and add "Placed In" or "Left" or something that sounds more permanent.

Observation #2: To a new cacher wanting to PLACE a TB/coin, they don't see a direct link between what is on the trackable's page and the options provided. For example...

When one selects the "visited" option, the trackable item's page reads "<Cacher's Name> took it to <Cache's Name>"

When one selects the "dropped off" option, the trackable item's page reads "<Cacher's Name> placed it in <Cache's Name>"

Why the difference? If we are trying to make things easier, then there should be more consistency in our terminology. When I was trying to explain to the new cacher how to place a trackable in a cache, my instructions were "Select the 'Dropped Off' option." Suggestion #2: Same as suggestion #1, but now the reason is consistency rather than "dropped off" sounds temporary.

In short, I think "Dropped Off" should be changed to "Placed".

Just a thought...

This would be a suggestion for the feedback pages. For this thread, we should stick what is actually in place at this time, but feel free to suggest this in Feedback.

Question:

I notised a cache had not been visited for months only after I left a bug there. Should I go back and move it? How long is it ok to leave it there? It´s not in a hurry I guess, but I feel bad just leaving it sitting there.

If you want go get it and move it along. The idea is for it to move from cache to cache and on its intended goal if it has one.

Question:

I notised a cache had not been visited for months only after I left a bug there. Should I go back and move it? How long is it ok to leave it there? It´s not in a hurry I guess, but I feel bad just leaving it sitting there.

Looking at the bugs/coins you have moved I'm not sure what you mean by 'months'. To me, not visited for months is more like 8 to 12 months. Bugs do sit, even when the cache has visitors and it could be long time between hops.

I figure 3 months is long enough that maybe you should consider going back out and moving it to another location. If the cache is rarely visited (once or twice a year) or winter is coming and it will be snowbound for 5 months, then it's probably time to go get it.

I didn't read all 150+ responses, but here's my question...

We're new to caching and we've found our first TBs. After some trial and error, I did get them correctly logged. My husband wants to mail one to my brother who caches in Missouri, and one to a friend who caches in Florida. Is this okay? I told him I refused to mail them out until I could ask. By reading through these posts, I gather that my brother and my friend would each "grab" the respective TBs from us, then they would place them in caches in their own states.

Kosher? No?

I didn't read all 150+ responses, but here's my question...

We're new to caching and we've found our first TBs. After some trial and error, I did get them correctly logged. My husband wants to mail one to my brother who caches in Missouri, and one to a friend who caches in Florida. Is this okay? I told him I refused to mail them out until I could ask. By reading through these posts, I gather that my brother and my friend would each "grab" the respective TBs from us, then they would place them in caches in their own states.

Kosher? No?

The answer to this one is... generally, no, don't mail TBs... unless you check with the TB owner first and they give the OK.

Trackables are meant to travel from cache to cache, by hand of cachers. The randomness of their journeys is part of the fun - but some owners are happy for their bugs to be mailed, so it's good to email them and ask first.

MrsB

Okay, I just read all 4 pages, and I think this question was not covered yet. I found a travel bug- my first, and I looked up her home page (she is a nurse). Her goal is to visit hospitals. I brought her to 3 hospitals, took her pic at each one, and dropped her in an often visited cache. I noted in the log of the drop off cache where I had brought her... so what do I do with the pictures? I am not sure where to upload them...do I email them to her owner? Do I add them to my log? Thx!

Okay, I just read all 4 pages, and I think this question was not covered yet. I found a travel bug- my first, and I looked up her home page (she is a nurse). Her goal is to visit hospitals. I brought her to 3 hospitals, took her pic at each one, and dropped her in an often visited cache. I noted in the log of the drop off cache where I had brought her... so what do I do with the pictures? I am not sure where to upload them...do I email them to her owner? Do I add them to my log? Thx!

Once you log the bug (Retrieve, Grab, or Discover) you'll immediately get an option to [upload image]. If you have already logged the bug, visit the bug page and next to your log you'll see the option to [visit log]. Click that and in there is the [upload image] option.

Is the question "What should new geocachers know about trackables?" the right question?

All the information is allready on the website, available to everyone.

Shouldn't the question be something like "How do we get new geocachers to read the information about trackables?"?

Perhaps they should get the information when they are signing up for an account. A page that says:

Special items in caches which are owned by others. Read about it here!

Click here to complete your account.

Ruud4d, you are right that people should make an attempt to RTFM first, but you have to also remember that this site is not overly intuitive for a noob, the FAQs are by no means exhaustive, other information is scattered and it doesn't help either if you are not even sure what questions you want to ask. For example, looking through the site and the board I have not found anything to tell me if I can actually look for caches that contain trackables or whether I just stumble across them. Also, while again your sentiments are right and good, don't you think posting a RTFM comment kinda contradicts the comment about "there is no such thing as a silly question"? and discourages noobs from asking questions or learning? The job of a teacher is not just to impart knowledge, but to have the patience with the students who struggle to learn.

Please don't take this reply as a bash, and I realize there are some that don't even attempt to look things up (and those should rightly be "corrected"). I am just looking out for the noobs and trying to avoid intimidating them from joining in. Being the new kid in a new school can be daunting ;-)

Can i do ship by post a TB at the request of another geocashers? The TB was in his watching list.

Thanks for the answers

-DomTrek

You can only send it through the post, if the trackable owner says it's OK. If it was a promotional TB, it should only travel through caches, so that others may enjoy it, and add to its history.

Why are the formatted to print out on an 8.5x11 piece of paper?! Most caches are smaller than ammo cans, and the TB dog tags are smaller than a business card. Having some information is helpful to cachers in the field, but making this information "cache-ready" would be better for those TB owners who don't know or don't have time to make their own mission sheets.

Thanks for this topic!

Shrink the mission statement within your "print preview" option before printing it. Any size you want!

I do this for my travellers. This suggestion was not one for me, but for new geocachers. I am offering this is a suggestion for those people (and there are many) who may not be familiar or comfortable with altering their mission sheets themselves.

Simple logic: offering a service like mission sheet printing isn't really a helpful service when your sheet is 20 times larger than your bug. Hence my suggestion for "cache reade" documentation.

I'm a newbie I have a question about TB's I know the idea is for them to travel somewhere specific (sometimes) my qustion is if i find one that has a specific location like California and I am in Michigan and we are going to North Carolina on vacation would it be wrong to take it with us since it's the opposite way of California? Isn't the purpose to have it travel as much as possible? I don't want anyone to get mad at me either. I want to do it right.

Thaks for all these question's and answers I did learn alot.

I'm a newbie I have a question about TB's I know the idea is for them to travel somewhere specific (sometimes) my qustion is if i find one that has a specific location like California and I am in Michigan and we are going to North Carolina on vacation would it be wrong to take it with us since it's the opposite way of California? Isn't the purpose to have it travel as much as possible? I don't want anyone to get mad at me either. I want to do it right.

Thaks for all these question's and answers I did learn alot.

We appreciate the questions!

Typically no, you shouldn't take a TB that far off track. It would seem to me that you could best help the bug by moving it even just a little bit towards the destination. A lot of times people don't move a bug with a destination goal because 'they aren't going that far'. If each person would move it even a tenth of a mile, eventually it'll make it.

Of course after all that effort, someone comes along and takes it in the other direction. Like North Carolina.

Best thing would be to ask the bug owner what they would like you to do, but otherwise you should at least make a reasonable effort to assist the bug towards the goal

If you can't, there are plenty of other bugs happy to be moved anywhere.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Groundspeak is interested in finding ways to better educate new geocachers on the proper etiquette for handling trackables. I am personally aware of many incidences of trackables going missing - not through any malice on the part of the bugnapper - rather by simply being misinformed about this one aspect of the game. There is a lot to learn when first starting out, so please help everyone by answering the question:

What should new geocachers know about trackables?

Thanks! :D

Once you log the bug (Retrieve, Grab, or Discover) you'll immediately get an option to [upload image]. If you have already logged the bug, visit the bug page and next to your log you'll see the option to [visit log]. Click that and in there is the [upload image] option.

I'm a newbie. I found my first cache this morning. I'm reading this topic in hopes of not doing something really silly. Does the option to upload an image of the travel bug after logging it mean I should take a picture of it if I find one?

Thanks! :)

I'm a newbie. I found my first cache this morning. I'm reading this topic in hopes of not doing something really silly. Does the option to upload an image of the travel bug after logging it mean I should take a picture of it if I find one?

Thanks! :)

It's always a nice thing to share. I live on a farm so I usually take a shot with the bug and maybe the cattle, or the cats, or just the country side. Sometimes I'll just take a landscape shot of where the bug and I ventured. We are a community. Posting a photo shares something about where you live and gives the bug owner more of a connection with the people who found their bug.

Oh, and welcome to the addiction. And don't worry, we love answering questions about travel bugs. The more new people know the better things are for travel bugs. The Getting Started forum is also a safe place to ask the basic questions.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I am new to this and I was thinking I wanted to buy a trackable...Now I was looking at the dogtags and I wanted to buy one but I don't know if I HAVE to pass them along or if I can just wear them and have people find it like that.

Can I let one of the tags go and have that travel and then wear the other and have them track me?

What exactly is the rules on things like this?

Thank you. :)

I am new to this and I was thinking I wanted to buy a trackable...Now I was looking at the dogtags and I wanted to buy one but I don't know if I HAVE to pass them along or if I can just wear them and have people find it like that.

Can I let one of the tags go and have that travel and then wear the other and have them track me?

The second tag is a replacement tag, in fact I don't think they come with the tracking number imprinted on the second one anymore. Either way you cannot have two bugs using the same number even if one is a personal TB.

Yes you can use it as a personal tracker, logging it through caches you visit and showing it to people you meet. Just don't offer it virtually like maybe posting the number online and letting people log it. They have to have actually seen it.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if this tip was mentioned..

Write down the TB ID and leave it at home incase you have a problem moving a bug.....

I had one that I found...it showed in my inventory, but when I went to mark it as being moved (180 miles away) it showed I couldn't move it and it was still were I found it. I tried to retrieve it, BUT !!!! you need the ID on the tag to show you have it. I DON"T HAVE THE BUG ANYMORE ! E-mailed the TBO still haven't heard back. I will be in the area I dropped off around 9/20 so I can get the number if it still there. If not....if anyone finds a bug at the Schooner Bar in key west with a Hard Rock Key chain. Please straighten it out.... Thanks M29

The second tag is a replacement tag, in fact I don't think they come with the tracking number imprinted on the second one anymore. Either way you cannot have two bugs using the same number even if one is a personal TB.

Yes you can use it as a personal tracker, logging it through caches you visit and showing it to people you meet. Just don't offer it virtually like maybe posting the number online and letting people log it. They have to have actually seen it.

Yes,I know they have to actually see it but I wasn't sure if I could wear the dog tag.But instead I am going to attach it to a monkey and let it out to visit as many aquariums as it can for my son!He likes spongebob and I just thought it would be a cute thing to send out and let him see the aquarium pictures...

But I am getting the TB for the car...

Oh,Another question about the TB for the car (I know I am full of em)...

My husband travels to Chicago a lot and we wanna buy the magnet TB for our car but not sure if we can use it on the box truck he drives to Chicago or not.

Well,Simplified,Is it okay to switch the magnet to a new car?

One issue I have come across is that my phone app does not allow me to log that I have picked up a tb. It will be a full day before I get home to my computer where I can log in, alter the log and note which tb I picked up. If the phone app worked, we could find out the mission of the tb before we take them. I was all happy thinking I was rescuing a tb from a remote location only to discover when I got home that it was only to travel west and I was traveling east. Most tb's do come with a mission page but the older ones I have discovered have long lost their mission statements and they are only to be found online. Anyway, point being, the phone apps should enable us to log tbs so that there is less confusion. Also, I would not go to a cache only to discover that someone else that day already picked up the tb if the phone app worked.

Hello all. I've read the whole thread and have found it very helpful Thanks so much.

But I do still have a few points on which I'm confused and hope you can help me out. My kiddos and I would like to send a TB out into the world, but want to give it the best chance we can. I thought the kiddos would get a kick (and a geography lesson) out of 'watching' their bug move around. We thought maybe finding a TB and moving it would be a good way to learn about the process before sending our own out. We've visited 2 caches in the past 3 or 4 days that the website said have travel bugs in them, but they were not there when we made the finds. From what I've read here, it sounds like I should let someone know they aren't there? The cache owner, or the bug owner, or both?

Also, if we can ever find one, I've read that we shouldn't take a bug if we can't help it toward its goal. Are the goals usually with the physical bug in the cache (attached somehow?) I know how to find (or think I do) the bug's page where the goals are listed, but I'd hate to pick one up and bring it home to log it only to find out that it has a goal we can't help with.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Try to mention in your cache log whenever you don't find a listed bug in the cache. Some will say to also post a note on the bug page but personally I recommend doing that only after the bug has been confirmed missing for at least thirty days. If someone had picked up the bug five minutes before you got there, alerting the bug owner that it is missing might cause some unnecessary confusion.

As for goals, any movement is better than none and there is a difference between achieving the goal and assisting. Chance are pretty good that moving a bug 5 miles down the road is not going to take it completely off course and most owners are happy to see their bug get picked up even if it only moved .10th of a mile. The only time I have ever seen a problem with people moving bugs is when they pick it up and travel 500 miles before they ever read the bug page.

If you pick up a bug and find that you can't assist it, you can always put it back in the same cache, or one close by. There's rarely any situation that can't be corrected in time.

Try this, look for caches that have been found recently and if they have bugs listed. Check the bug page and see if it has been dropped off within the last three weeks or by the last cache visitor, as that will give you a pretty good chance the bug is still there. Then read the mission and see if it a goal you can assist with. You don't have to be traveling all the way to Vegas just to move a bug from one park to another. Part of the overall mission is to share the bug with another cacher and in return that cacher shares the experience of moving it. Taking pictures and telling stories is the best part of the journey, not just reaching the goal.

Also if you are not aware, you can visit or revisit any cache, including your own to drop or retrieve a travel bug.

Move Those Bugs!

Ok you big shots! I am a newbie muggle, and posts 18 and 19 were real informitive. Just sayin, since I read the rules before I play the game. Thought you guys might like knowing some of us do read.

So far by chance i tripped over 3 caches, then with my bro in law, who cache hunts, came to find 6 more. Seems like fun, and I am looking forward to having this as a new hobby.

And oh, I didn't take anything, I just left notes in the 3 caches I found, and left them as i found them.

Ok you big shots! I am a newbie muggle, and posts 18 and 19 were real informitive. Just sayin, since I read the rules before I play the game. Thought you guys might like knowing some of us do read.

And it is appreciated. Don't worry about asking questions. We are more than happy to answer even if it has been asked before.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

And it is appreciated. Don't worry about asking questions. We are more than happy to answer even if it has been asked before.

bd

Thank you. I am reading all about geocaching, but without any gps yet, or some hands on experience, there is much I don't understand. I have to learn how to crawl before I can walk, then walk before I can run. I am using search, commenting on some older related threads here and there, but read the dates, and say I know it's an older thread, but some are still relivant to learning.

I have no mentors around to teach me, so for now, it's all reading and prep for taking baby steps. Reading the board is helping, albeit slowly.

bd

Thank you. I am reading all about geocaching, but without any gps yet, or some hands on experience, there is much I don't understand. I have to learn how to crawl before I can walk, then walk before I can run. I am using search, commenting on some older related threads here and there, but read the dates, and say I know it's an older thread, but some are still relivant to learning.

I have no mentors around to teach me, so for now, it's all reading and prep for taking baby steps. Reading the board is helping, albeit slowly.

I don't know if this will help.... but for my first 20 caches that I found, I didn't have a GPS receiver. I just found them by getting a general location of the hide and reading the hint. :ph34r:

bd

I don't know if this will help.... but for my first 20 caches that I found, I didn't have a GPS receiver. I just found them by getting a general location of the hide and reading the hint. :ph34r:

There are several in my area according to the local maps I see when I run my zip code. I bet I could find 1/2 of them with no map or compass, just by the clues. By not finding them, or re-finding them with a gps, I will get to learn about the gps.

I have already found 3 for no effort what so ever, other than having open eyes. All 3 were lock n locks, a term I just learned. At these times I had no way to figure out who owned them or what the game was about. i can't say I have any deep interest in the trinkets in these boxes, but finding things is fun for me.

I had a good time with my geocaching bro in law. One of the 6 caches we found was a small red anodized pill bottle hung on a pine tree. All that was inside was a list, I assume you folks call a log.

Another hide was pretty clever in a dead hollowed tree, which was tough to see. That's my game, or I think it is. :blink:

And this other, in a guard rail.

I hadn't activated any TBs for a while and recently when I activated a coin I came across 'Collectible Preference' on the activation page. What exactly is that and what does it mean when an owner 'hasn't set collectible preference'?

If your coin is going to stay with you, in your own collection, and it's not move going to be moved in and out of any caches (including event caches) then check the box "Make this trackable Collectible". You can then move it to your own Collection and it won't appear in your Trackables Inventory which shows items waiting to be dropped into caches.

If you're going to release it to travel through caches then it should be designated "Not collectible".

If it says "The owner hasn't set a collectible preference" it means that the owner hasn't selected either option when the item was activated originally. The option may not have been available at that time (if it's quite an old trackable) or they may simply not have understood what it was all about.

I understand that if no option has been selected the trackable default is "Not collectible".

MrsB :)

I hadn't activated any TBs for a while and recently when I activated a coin I came across 'Collectible Preference' on the activation page. What exactly is that and what does it mean when an owner 'hasn't set collectible preference'?

If your coin is going to stay with you, in your own collection, and it's not move going to be moved in and out of any caches (including event caches) then check the box "Make this trackable Collectible". You can then move it to your own Collection and it won't appear in your Trackables Inventory which shows items waiting to be dropped into caches.

If you're going to release it to travel through caches then it should be designated "Not collectible".

If it says "The owner hasn't set a collectible preference" it means that the owner hasn't selected either option when the item was activated originally. The option may not have been available at that time (if it's quite an old trackable) or they may simply not have understood what it was all about.

I understand that if no option has been selected the trackable default is "Not collectible".

MrsB :)

Thank you for this info. Although I have a few coins that only visit caches, I have never activated coins I don't intend to release, having always believed that the point of the collection was to have unactivated coins I might want to trade some day.

I think that most of the information that a new geo-cacher needs to know about trackables is already out the be found. Unfortunately it's not well placed. Most of the information seems to come when you attempt to log a trackable item or if you're the type that is serious about reading all of the documention before you begin a new activity (and I know very few people that are like this.)

I think the question is more of "Where can we place this information to ensure that people retrieve it." I'd suggest a warning banner (or banners) along with the cache information for any cache that contains a trackable with the minimal explanation that trackable items aren't swag and they're owned by another cacher and then link the individual to more information.

I'd even suggest that a rather inexpensive coin/tag be provided to each new member of the site with the information about how this aspect of the game is to be played. It won't stop everyone as there will always be malicious people that think of their enjoyment only. Provide some emotional and preferably true stories about the great joy that members have derived from sending trackables into the wild to get at new members emotionally and encourage their participation in this aspect of the game.

Stop comparing geocaching to a global treasure hunt! I find that this endagners geocoins especially as they are a match (in most cases) for the image of treasure conjured by the mind.

This discussion, the number of items that are being sold (both in-house and externally) are a testament to the fact that trackables are a growing and important aspect of the game. The particulars of this part of the game can no longer be buried in the depths of the site where they're likely to never be seen.

Having said all of that, the problem will be one slow to go away. There are too many people already that seem uninformed about the true specifics of trackables. They're fixed on collecting treasure. As the rankers of geocachers grow and are properly educated we can hope that the demographics will change enough that the problem will become smaller and people will educate those who unwittingly took treasured trackables out of circulation to understand the game.

I tryed to find the answer to this question but could not find it.. When you take a TB.. Do you HAVE to mention it in the log of the cache or just online?

Not necessary to mention in the log, but it is helpful to others (online and logbook).

I have noticed that a great number of Europeans add this to their online log:

IN - (name of trackable)

OUT - (name of trackable)

or

IN - # of trackables (including 0)

OUT - # of trackables (including 0)

And GG means a count not the tracking number of the trackable.

I think it is a matter of curtesy to the trackable owners, and the cache owners. And it helps in researching missing trackables. For every trackable that I have retrieved or dropped off, I always mentionned its name as retrieved or dropped off in the cache log in addition to the item's own log. I have received severral thank you e-mails from their owners for including that info in the cache's log. And I am now in the habit of mentioning the trackables that I have discovered in a cache. That has now drawn more thank you e-mails from the item owners. It takes very little time for this curtesy to cache and trackable owners. Furthermore, when I see that a trackable is not in a cache, I also mention it in the cache log and the trackable log. Again, more thank you e-mails coming. I don't collect thank you e-mails but that tells me that what I do is appreciated.