More "Nelsonings"...

DENelson83

I'm still wondering what a "Nelsoning" is?

It's either any post by the OP, or he's trying to add his name to the practice of using acronyms for geocaching logs.

Somehow I suspect there will be no Markwellian link for this one, but many of DENelson83's early posts had to do with new, homemade acronyms for caching. Somewhere along the line, his name got "verbed", but not by him. Kind of like when I tried to verb Wrastro, but this one stuck (well, in a small way).
I'm still wondering what a "Nelsoning" is?

It's either any post by the OP, or he's trying to add his name to the practice of using acronyms for geocaching logs.

Somehow I suspect there will be no Markwellian link for this one, but many of DENelson83's early posts had to do with new, homemade acronyms for caching. Somewhere along the line, his name got "verbed", but not by him. Kind of like when I tried to verb Wrastro, but this one stuck (well, in a small way).

Hey man, don't Homer my name...

(and yes, Ringbone, etc., whatever)

A Nelson is a double Chester.

A Chester is a double Ron.

A Lindsay is a triple Ron.

what?

So...a Nelson is a four-thirds Ron???

;);):)

I still have no idea what this line of talk was all about...

Then what would a Full Nelson be?

Sorry...I meant that to be a four-thirds Ron...does that help with the full Nelson???

A Nelson is a double Chester.

A Chester is a double Ron.

A Lindsay is a triple Ron.

what?

So...a Nelson is a four-thirds Lindsay???

:):ph34r::anicute:

I still have no idea what this line of talk was all about...

RON= Rest Over Night, which means 2 sleep cycles at the base you are visiting.

We got bored when ending up with additional nights, so we came up with terms for extended stays in our missions.

Edited by bramasoleiowa
Any other personal acronyms (six characters or less) that you use in your cache logs?

Only if a geocache is really bad, then I write "+1" or a "TFTC". In Germany very short logs are considered to be used at bad caches. But normally I tend to write what I didn't like and I always use GCVote and make this vote public in my log.

Please write something. Owning a cache not only costs money, it requires time and effort. This should be appreciated with a few word and not only acronyms nobody understands!

GermanSailor

If you find yourself in a race for first to find on a newly published cache, and the cache owner made a mistake that turned out to have put you at an unfair disadvantage and consequently cost you the FTF, such as making an error in the coordinates or telling you to go in the wrong direction, you can claim a "technical FTF". You can only claim it if the time difference between your signature in the logbook and that of the FTF is less than the total time you spent between discovering the error and getting back on track (you must keep track of that figure yourself). If the cache owner accepts your claim, then you can officially put the cache in your own FTF column.

Edited by DENelson83

"Pointless ghost chase": What a drunken bee dance degenerates into after giving up looking for a cache you can't seem to be able to find.

"The Tunnel": The geocaching.com review queue. Once a cache is published, it is said to have emerged from The Tunnel.

Edited by DENelson83

"Green slime cache"

A cache that consistently eludes a person's attempts to find it. So-called because it makes that person keep saying "I don't know where this cache is", and if you've ever seen the show "You Can't Do That On Television", you'll know that whenever a character on that show muttered the words "I don't know", (s)he got green slime dumped on his/her head.

The purpose of making a log entry is to communicate something to the cache owner. Since the user is the only one who can be absolutely positive of the meaning of a "personal acronym" those using them are leaving it wide open as to what they are so poorly trying to express. Why not say what you mean? Even a commonly seen acronym, such as "FTF" can mean something different than what one might believe. Here is an acronym for you, "I.N.C.O.N.S.I.D.E.R.A.T.E.". I leave it to you to to decide what it means.

The internet and email is already shortening our vocabulary.

When was the last time most of us sat down and wrote a letter with a pen and piece of paper?

(Yeah, a long time for me too)

Acronyms have a place but are not replacement for an entire word.

Are our lives so busy we cannot write a short paragraph with real words?

Actually in my case it was about a month ago. That's too long, but not bad for these days of email and phone.

;)

But then I am nothing compared to most of the prolific writers on the Fountain Pen Forums. :blink:

Z.

"Green slime cache"

A cache that consistently eludes a person's attempts to find it. So-called because it makes that person keep saying "I don't know where this cache is", and if you've ever seen the show "You Can't Do That On Television", you'll know that whenever a character on that show muttered the words "I don't know", (s)he got green slime dumped on his/her head.

Wow - That brought back some memories lol

... Here is an acronym for you, "I.N.C.O.N.S.I.D.E.R.A.T.E.". I leave it to you to to decide what it means.

Oh! Individual Nano Cache On Natural Structure Includes Dexterous Egress, Replacement, and Telltale Exposure! I use that one all the time!

--Q

"Magnet route"

The route you follow when, after finding a cache, the very next cache you decide to look for and have yet to find is always the cache nearest to the one you just found.

I thought Nelsoning was related to acronyms. Maybe you should give us a definition so we know what we are talking about.

This discussion reminded me of my Navy days when I used to communicate in Morse Code with ships going through the Panama Canal. There was a whole set of "official" shortcuts which were three letter codes starting with the letter "Q". There were other things like "INT" before a sentence made it a question. (Interogative) We were only supposed to use the "official" shortcuts but of course there were unofficial ones to. Like "GA" (go ahead) when someone was requesting to send a message, instead of the long drawn out formal authorization. And then there was the comma (--..--) which for some reason had the same meaning as "4Q" when sent as a response to some offensive remark.

At the end of a message the sender would often say "TU CUL" to which the receiver would tap ".."

I remember a training film about how the enemy sunk a battleship based on some morse code operator's personal ".." at the end of a message.

So. Uh... Let That Be A Lesson To Ya! What was this about?

"Magnet route"

The route you follow when, after finding a cache, the very next cache you decide to look for and have yet to find is always the cache nearest to the one you just found.

That is already known as "poor planning", or "n00b routing" in my vocabulary. It is a great way to waste time and energy going back and forth over and over again.