More "Nelsonings"...

DENelson83

DTBSL: "dropped travel bug, signed log"

TTBSL: "took travel bug, signed log"

TF3: "thanks for the first to find"

SPOD: "suspicious pile of debris", something most likely to conceal a cache

ROOT: "ran out of time"

Any other personal acronyms (six characters or less) that you use in your cache logs?

Any other personal acronyms (six characters or less) that you use in your cache logs?

No, you've about got them all covered.

In the spirit of this post, I shall remove everything except the initial letter of each word in the subsequent part of my post.

I think this acronym thing may be getting a little too far. And in the interest of abbreviation, why even mention that you signed the log?

You have way too much free time

In the spirit of this post, I shall remove everything except the initial letter of each word in the subsequent part of my post.

I think this acronym thing may be getting a little too far. And in the interest of abbreviation, why even mention that you signed the log?

I think that all the mean bad guys always lick the frog. Alas instead the iron ore ages, we even melt the yellow snow to liquid.

Just a guess. I could be wrong. (I actually know what it says, but I already came up with my translation when I noticed it :D )

The problem with personal acronyms is this.

TCTLHOOTPTTFTO

The internet and email is already shortening our vocabulary.

When was the last time most of us sat down and wrote a letter with a pen and piece of paper?

(Yeah, a long time for me too)

Acronyms have a place but are not replacement for an entire word.

Are our lives so busy we cannot write a short paragraph with real words?

NCOECO

(No Chance Of Ever Catching On)

:) Ohh.... I had such high hopes for mine....but...it would'nt work anyway,its to easy to confuse with:

Found All Relevant Tupperware....man... 15 minutes does'nt last long does it? :)

I recommend using whole words. Unless, that is, you don't really appreciate the cache enough to take the slight amount of extra effort involved in hitting 7 or 8 extra keys.

"Neologism" is a word. "...is a newly coined word that may be in the process of entering common use, but has not yet been accepted into mainstream language."

When was the last time most of us sat down and wrote a letter with a pen and piece of paper?

Why would you do that? I write all the time, and use a full vocabulary, but never on paper. When I do use paper (taking notes etc), that is when I use a smaller vocabulary, trying to get it said as short as possible.

Anyway, Back on topic.... I make up acronymes in my logs all the time, but always make sure that I define them. eg.

TFTGEVC (Thanks for the Great Educational Virtual Cache)

Edited by Andronicus

I recommend using whole words. Unless, that is, you don't really appreciate the cache enough to take the slight amount of extra effort involved in hitting 7 or 8 extra keys.

I agree. I don't even use "TFTC." "Thanks for the cache" doesn't take that long to type.

I'm with you. I always write "Thanks!", because I think that it seems more genuine if you use the whole word and because not everybody knows the acronyms but they still deserve my gratitude for their contribution to the game.

The only acronym I typically use is TNLNSL, since that is always the most perfunctory part of my posts.

It took me a while to figure out that SL stood for "Signed Log" and not "so long." Mainly because the first few times I saw it it was actually written in a log. Seems redundant. I don't have a problem with keeping things short, but finding the cache is a good enough puzzle. I'm not in it for the word games.

If I'm using my phone I'll write TFTC or Thanks for hiding plus a very brief description of the any transaction or a quick "thanks for taking me here." But have you ever tried writing a whole paragraph on one of those things? Not entirely enjoyable.

Edited by Ratbas

The internet and email is already shortening our vocabulary.

Acronyms have a place but are not replacement for an entire word.

Are our lives so busy we cannot write a short paragraph with real words?

Huzzah! A voice from the darkness! I would wager that most college students hae never written a letter or even a thank you note. To be honest, when I was young I missed sending many thank you notes for gifts received.

Wow I use some of the basic acronyms but sometimes I think its getting a little out of hand. Are people just lazy? I was amazed the other day when I heard someone SAY "B, T, Dub" for BTW, which is By the way. Not only are people just saying the first letters they are now even shortening the letters. Haha and the funny thing is, that the amount of syllables is the same. What is the world coming too. Soon people will just say the first letter and no one will know what anyone is saying....FTNSSIMO...