What is the difference in a BLM marker and Geodetic marker?

drgnflyz

Can we log BLM markers? I found one while out photographing wild horses in remote Idaho country. Got home and found it was close in coords to NGS marker QA0696. So is there a place to log this blm marker find? Also found one the same weekend marked cadastral survey. Is there a place to log these? :( Thanks

drgnflyz -

If a marker is not in the benchmark database you can only log it in the U.S. Benchmarks Waymarking category. The vast majority of cadastral marks are not in the benchmark database, but a few are. I believe that most BLM markers are cadastral marks.

Extremely basically, geodetic marks are for establishing positions on the planet, relative to either planetary coordinates or sea level, and cadastral marks are to establish property or administrative borders in relation to other borders.

You can read about the benchmark database we use and why some marks are not included in it here.

Edited by Black Dog Trackers

BLM Markers are most likely to be corners of the Public Land Survey System marking section and 1/4 section corners which control property boundaries.

Property corners are a whole other class of monuments that are not generally included in the 'benchmarking' NGS derived database. There may be a few as mentioned that happened to be tied in, but generally speaking they are a separate thing.

So short answer would be no, they are not logable here. However you should find 1 or 2 categories on Waymarking site to log them. I believe there is a BLM group as well as a Public Land Survey group.

j. l. wahl