GPS question from a newbie

I'd pick the Oregon for the touch screen interface.

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Colorado+vs+Oregon

I like the Colorado 400t, and Ill tell ya why. Sooner or later, from all that activity, I think the touch screen will get scratched and not work like you want it to. With the rock n roller, you really can't accidentally hit a button. And the rock n roller is replaceable. I have not had to replace it nor heard of anyone who did, but a friend managed to know his off while moving an air conditioner with it on his belt. (Do you need a GPS for moving A/C units? :D ) I understand the coolness of the touch screen, just not for me. The C 400T has been awesome for me with zero problems related to the unit, only to the operator. Both are good from what I have read, especially with the updated software for Colorado.

I'd pick the Oregon for the touch screen interface.

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Colorado+vs+Oregon

I like the Colorado 400t, and Ill tell ya why. Sooner or later, from all that activity, I think the touch screen will get scratched and not work like you want it to. With the rock n roller, you really can't accidentally hit a button. And the rock n roller is replaceable. I have not had to replace it nor heard of anyone who did, but a friend managed to know his off while moving an air conditioner with it on his belt. (Do you need a GPS for moving A/C units? :D ) I understand the coolness of the touch screen, just not for me. The C 400T has been awesome for me with zero problems related to the unit, only to the operator. Both are good from what I have read, especially with the updated software for Colorado.

I own the Oregon 400T and the screen does scratch... not any more than any other unit I have seen. I do not see it being a problem. I have a friend that has the Colorado and the roller keeps falling off. I think he has had the unit replaced and has had the same problems with the new one. I have not used it so I can't comment on it.

It depends if you like to take a lot of notes or not. If you do, the Oregon is nicer. For most of the other uses, the Colorado has a better setup geocaching workflow that is quicker to use.

I'd pick the Oregon as it's a newer model and Garmin will probably continue to actively support software and firmware updates, etc. for it for a longer period of time.