Add a discussion-page to each cache

lillfiluren

I agree with StarBrand. What else do you need to log. Found, DNF. and Note.

There are times, especially with new caches, when local cachers will fill the five recent logs with Notes asking where "so and so" is or that they're surprised that "so and so" hasn't found this cache yet or that this cache is in "so and so's" area, so they expect to see the FTF log from them soon. Alot of noise, for sure. Keeping the "Recent Logs" as Finds/DNF's/NM/SBA's and moving all else to a discussion page has merits, in my opinion. Those who want to talk about gathering for a group find or ribbing a FTF hound for being late to the party can do so to their hearts content on the discussion page and keep the recent logs for those who use them to keep tabs on the status of the cache.

Bruce

Around here, in the winter, cachers will often get together on Sunday and pick one main cache that's longer and harder and do it as a group. By being able to discuss it and make plans in the "discussion area" of the cache, people won't be filling up the logs with information that isn't really pertinent to the cache itself.

The logs would still contain the found it logs, DNFs, notes and such, but the planning for who's going to bring the coffee and when you're going to meet would be done in the discussion area.

Where's the common online meeting area? How do you plan on which cache to target? What if one person doesn't get the memo on which cache it is? How are they supposed to find the cache page, hunt?

I think something like that would be best served by a localized forum or even something like FaceBook.

I agree. If you want to discuss a cache do it in the regional forums or between yourselves. I don't see something like this as being beneficial and it potentially opens a big can of worms.

Suppose I want to organize a cache run in Ashland, Kentucky. Kentucky is in the South and Southeast Regional Forum. Just across the river is Ohio, part of the Midwest Forum. A short drive to the east puts you in West Virginia, part of the Mid-Atlantic Forum. So where do I put my forum thread, without fear of a Mod coming down on me for spamming multiple forum sections?

Wouldn't it be cool to search for forum conversations near the coordinates for Ashland Kentucky?

The same would be true for other "border" jurisdictions, both in North America and Europe. Our hobby is driven primarily by coordinates and distances, not by political boundaries.

Suppose I want to organize a cache run in Ashland, Kentucky. Kentucky is in the South and Southeast Regional Forum. Just across the river is Ohio, part of the Midwest Forum. A short drive to the east puts you in West Virginia, part of the Mid-Atlantic Forum. So where do I put my forum thread, without fear of a Mod coming down on me for spamming multiple forum sections?

Wouldn't it be cool to search for forum conversations near the coordinates for Ashland Kentucky?

The same would be true for other "border" jurisdictions, both in North America and Europe. Our hobby is driven primarily by coordinates and distances, not by political boundaries.

Seems like a pretty rare occurance to me, and one that would most likely be taken care of via private emails in most instances. Besides, without the much-asked for group pocket queries, what difference does it make that you can coordinate the cache run via a message board?

Seems great on the surface. The problems arise when it becomes a place to group solve a puzzle, explain how to find a tricky hide. Who is going to moderate these cache page forums? Do you want the responsibility of moderating the cache forum for every cache you have published? Do you think the CO should do it? What happens when the CO has stopped caching? I certainly don't want the job. Not even for the small number of active caches that I have. It could become a full time job for someone who has hundreds or thousands of hides.

I see that I my suggestion sparked a heated discussion. Lots of interesting points have been voiced and many of them I fully understand. I don't know what Groundspeak have in mind for their "location-based" forum software that KeyStone mentioned, but I have a simple twist on my idea that I would like to suggest:

How about adding a field to forum topics where the poster could write GC codes that the post relates to (possibly for multiple caches), and a link from the cache pages to do a forum search for the GC-code of the cache. It would allow a soft link between a forum topic and a cache. Forum rules would apply to whatever was posted, and cachers could easily find related topics from a cache. It should not generate a whole bunch of email notifications from caches on your watchlist.

/lillfiluren

Add me to the list of folks that think that the cache "forum" idea needs to be re-thought, or at least have an opt-out feature.

You (and others above) are making a lot of assumptions based on almost no information. So far the feature idea is not fleshed out, so I can't elaborate. However, we will take into account your concerns when it is.

Not knowing the 'inside scoop', but my argument AGAINST this 'feature' is that, Its Already There! This is called Log Your Visit. There are options to be able to tell others what type of message you are posting(Found, DNF, Note, Needs Archived, Needs MX).

Of course, others will say that there is not what they want, so they should write a "Note"

The Steaks

All these new ideas are all great and all, but why can't we get the stuff we have now fixed before we bring new stuff online? Wherigo still doesn't have a solid platform and the VGA PPC player is still broken. Everyone still has to use workarounds in the PQ system to do what needs doing. I mean the list for stuff to get fixed is huge, yet more and more stuff is brought online to remain half finished.

Yeah, nice concept, but let's concentrate on completing the projects already in the wild.