Celtic Compass ruins

Da Beast

I was lookig on line for celtic compass runes eg North ewst south east and even NNE NNW ECT

i know that for ruins the compass berings are Water Earth Fire and Ice, but the only ruins that i seen to be able to find are the letters. so i was wandering if you just spell out the words in the ruins or if there were ruins that were specific to earth fire and water

Edited by TheBeast420

Bittsen - That artwork is real cool, just what my Norwegian Wife likes. Especially since it its Viking Art. I've never seen anything about Celtic compasses and stuff like that will have to do some research.

Maybe the OP could be more precise as to what the search is for.

Just did a quick search on Google and this is what I found and there are more sites out there.

Edited by Tahosa and Sons

Bittsen - That artwork is real cool, just what my Norwegian Wife likes. Especially since it its Viking Art. I've never seen anything about Celtic compasses and stuff like that will have to do some research.

Just did a quick search on Google and this is what I found and there are more sites out there.

i have a eight point Celtic not compass that i am going to make a coin out of, and am wanting to put the eight bearing points on and would like to put them on in Celtic rune form

PS i have done a bit of searching so far and the best so far is that for the runes and the way that the old Celtics did it was to use elements roe them EG North=air West=water South=earth East=fire

but was also wanting the NNW NNE SSE SSW positions to the only runes that i can find (with out looking at a million pages) are the alphabet

i really like that disk pic dose anyone know if the art is original from the artist or if it is a representation of real viking runes

i have a eight point Celtic not compass that i am going to make a coin out of, and am wanting to put the eight bearing points on and would like to put them on in Celtic rune form

PS i have done a bit of searching so far and the best so far is that for the runes and the way that the old Celtics did it was to use elements roe them EG North=air West=water South=earth East=fire

but was also wanting the NNW NNE SSE SSW positions to the only runes that i can find (with out looking at a million pages) are the alphabet

i really like that disk pic dose anyone know if the art is original from the artist or if it is a representation of real viking runes

From what I read while getting thos pictures, it is an accurate representation of an actual viking compase. The iolite in the top picture was to represent how the vikings added a real piece of iolite to their compass because it would somehow change colors depending on which way it was oriented.

From what I read while getting thos pictures, it is an accurate representation of an actual viking compase. The iolite in the top picture was to represent how the vikings added a real piece of iolite to their compass because it would somehow change colors depending on which way it was oriented.

cool so i can use the design as long as i draw it out my self :( i just might use those bearing points but i still going to look for celtic points ( more because of my celtic roots)

cool so i can use the design as long as i draw it out my self :( i just might use those bearing points but i still going to look for celtic points ( more because of my celtic roots)

As long as you are not profiting from it, yes there would be no reason why you couldn't draw it out yourself. You could probably even profit from it if it was your own work, even if it is a good copying job (as long as it was done with your own hand and not a machine) unless the design, itself, is copyrighted.

That should not be a problem because I found a few designs almost exact as that, plus i would have to draw it out on my computer to fit the geocoin design. So i would not be copying that pic but getting the basic pattern for the bearing points. When i am done it should be a real cool coin .

one side its going to be a eight point Celtic compass knot with a custom coat of arms and on the other side will be the full Celtic compass with the bearings and a real compass in the center colors will probably be antique copper silver and gold

That should not be a problem because I found a few designs almost exact as that, plus i would have to draw it out on my computer to fit the geocoin design. So i would not be copying that pic but getting the basic pattern for the bearing points. When i am done it should be a real cool coin .

one side its going to be a eight point Celtic compass knot with a custom coat of arms and on the other side will be the full Celtic compass with the bearings and a real compass in the center colors will probably be antique copper silver and gold

I searched around on the interweb and found a very basic "Viking compass" which appears to be the basis for the artwork by Mr. Berry. That seems to be a pretty public domain design and it looks like it gets alot of usage in tattoo art as well.

Now if you incorporated the other elements that he added- the border on the one image, the twisting vines on the other, you might run into problems.

So i was reading some rune forums and as it turns out there seems to be no set runes for the bearing points because there are multipale runes for the elements. what they did was pick runes that sutied the person but they still used the four elements North=Earth West=Water South=Fire East=Air, aparantly there are also astrological signs to North=Agarius West=scorpio South=Leo East=Taurus.

And i am planning on having the coin as a star shape the front will have the rune berings with a costom made crest shied in the middle

Thanks for all the help form everyone

I was lookig on line for celtic compass runes eg North ewst south east and even NNE NNW ECT

i know that for ruins the compass berings are Water Earth Fire and Ice, but the only ruins that i seen to be able to find are the letters. so i was wandering if you just spell out the words in the ruins or if there were ruins that were specific to earth fire and water

The designs above all look great, but the basic idea is a bit wonky; there's no such thing as Celtic 'runes'. Runes are a Norse form of writing (i.e. from Scandinavia) for carving into wood or stone. The comparable Celtic script for carving was called Ogham, and is completely unrelated.

BTW N and SE are not the same. Look at the crossmarks, they are different thicknesses.

Navigators, like any tradesman, develop their own jargon. This is to disquise the arcane secrets of thier trade. If they used common language/symbols, anyone else could do the job and the navigator wouldn't make any money.