"Blank" Logs on Cache Page?

holazola

Hi! I recently got some "found it" logs on a few of my caches that had nothing in them. Nada! At first I just dismissed it, but now that I have thought about it more, I am bit annoyed. I mean, how lazy can you be to not even jot down "found it" or 'TFTC"? I'm proud of my cache hides (I have about 40), and I really enjoy reading the logs. Besides, I thought the web site didn't even allow you to post blanks logs?

Have any of you been receiving empty logs on you caches?

I'm tempted to send an emails to the loggers, but I want it to be constructive, not whiny.

Do you have any input on what I should say?

Here is the obligatory paste from the FAQ that I'm sure someone will reference soon enough:

What are the rules in Geocaching?

1. If you take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value.

2. Write about your find in the cache logbook.

3. Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.

Oh, and here is one of the caches: "Barbarians at the Gate"

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...62-83d3c63af903

Hi! I recently got some "found it" logs on a few of my caches that had nothing in them. Nada! At first I just dismissed it, but now that I have thought about it more, I am bit annoyed. I mean, how lazy can you be to not even jot down "found it" or 'TFTC"? I'm proud of my cache hides (I have about 40), and I really enjoy reading the logs. Besides, I thought the web site didn't even allow you to post blanks logs?

I'm tempted to send an emails to the loggers, but I want it to be constructive, not whiny.

Here is the obligatory paste from the FAQ that I'm sure someone will reference soon enough:

1. If you take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value.

The LOGGING can be described as the act of selecting the Found It and clicking the save button.

But this begs the question, how lame is your cache? Because there is a lot of complete crappy caches out there that I often would like to log as What the %$%##$ were you thinking? But I try to be respectful and hold off and either put nothing or just TFTC.

The LOGGING can be described as the act of selecting the Found It and clicking the save button.

But this begs the question, how lame is your cache? Because there is a lot of complete crappy caches out there that I often would like to log as What the %$%##$ were you thinking? But I try to be respectful and hold off and either put nothing or just TFTC.

Harsh! If you look at the logs that aren't blank you see that most are very positive. That being the case I'd go so far as to say unwarrantedly harsh.

Edited by GOF & Bacall

We had a cacher float through the area locally last week, that double-posted many of their finds, but the second find log was blank in every instance. Most of the remaining (single) logs were also blank.

The cacher had a total of 40 finds (including the double-posts). I believe they were using equipment that they weren't very familiar with, perhaps a new iphone or somesuch. With practice they will probably get better at logging, etc.

Goes to show you that you should always double-check your posting.

Edit: I did email the cacher, suggesting that they should check their logs because of the double-posting.

No response and as of yet, no correction of the logs. Oh well.

Starting the next day however, all of their logs were single and complete -- so I'm guessing the email got through anyway! Still no correction on the mis-posted logs.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

But this begs the question, how lame is your cache?

Well, I suppose this was already answered above, but this is quite the opposite of a lame cache, if I must say myself. It is one of those ones that is hidden in plain sight that you just don't see until you look at the big picture context (and it's not tiny). A great "ah ha" moment for most finders. Read the logs! All the more reason why a "no log" log is perplexing for this one...

That was realy mean thing to say

i would delet the blank logs and take there smilie away cause it sounds like thats all they want

i would delet the blank logs and take there smilie away cause it sounds like thats all they want

It was mean, but you have to remember this is an internet forum. That seems to be one of the favorite things for some forum-frequenters to do....just constantly post purposely mild, or even harsh insults towards others. I haven't ever understood why that's so fun (evidently) for some people to do, but it's just a fact of internet-life.

As far as the poor logs, personally, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I have over 35 hides myself....good ones too, although there are a few easy ones tossed in.....something for everyone. 25% of the logs are excellent, 50% are good, 15% are poor, & the rest are pitiful. he good ones make up for the bad ones & worrying about bad logs isn't something I particuraly care to do. It's always going to happen, so just let them post their "SL" & go on. The next person will make up for it 90% of the time.

I do understand that many hiders take their logs much more seriously than I do. I wonder if some take them TOO seriously. The type people who are posting the "!" logs aren't going to chane, no matter what you do to them. And those are often just the type of people who will go throw your cache in the river as soon as you delete their smiley.

Why's it worth it to micro-manage logs? While I in no way want to encouage poor logs, I also think it's just a waste of time to worry alot about every little word that is written...or the lack of. Just find them, hide them, & have fun....without letting the few bad apples give you high blood pressue & ulcers.

P.S. My logs for the caches I find are some of the best ones of any. Not bragging on myself, but I do write good logs....if the cache deserves one. But that said, even though many of my logs are 3 or 4 paragraphs long.....if I've found 50 of your caches & 49 of them were 35mm film cans at the base of a sign-post, or a Tylenol bottle under a skirt....don't expect much more than 2 or 3 words from me. What's there to actually say?? If you delete it, that's fine. There's a hundred more of the same type within 30 miles of me.

It was mean, but you have to remember this is an internet forum. That seems to be one of the favorite things for some forum-frequenters to do....just constantly post purposely mild, or even harsh insults towards others. I haven't ever understood why that's so fun (evidently) for some people to do, but it's just a fact of internet-life.

I'd rather see us try to be better than those sites, wouldn't you?

Why's it worth it to micro-manage logs? While I in no way want to encouage poor logs, I also think it's just a waste of time to worry alot about every little word that is written...or the lack of.

Perhaps in an attempt to avoid the practice becoming commonplace.

They can't log a totally blank log from the website, it won't allow it (try it for yourself). You must put something in the text box.

This strongly suggests that they using some phone application that they don't quite understand or is buggy or misbehaving.

You might look at their more recent logs, if they've figured it out, great. I'd probably just drop it at that point, ie, not bother them about the blank logs. However, if more recent logs are still coming in blank, you might email them and suggest that they learn a bit more about using the phone app. I personally wouldn't do that - ie, since I can't offer anything constructive about how to use the phone app, not knowing myself, and being too lazy to research it for them, I'd just let it go.

It's a technical glitch, not an insult.

It seems to me that requiring more than nothing in a log is an ALR. The site allows it, so it must be okay. Would you rather they didn't log at all? So what if all they want is the smiley?

I know someone who recently started caching, and I noticed he has posted several blank logs. I thought it odd because he seems pretty enthused. He does use an iPhone, though, and after reading some of these posts, I wonder if that's losing his logs.

It seems to me that requiring more than nothing in a log is an ALR. The site allows it, so it must be okay. Would you rather they didn't log at all? So what if all they want is the smiley?

I know someone who recently started caching, and I noticed he has posted several blank logs. I thought it odd because he seems pretty enthused. He does use an iPhone, though, and after reading some of these posts, I wonder if that's losing his logs.

Actually, this site does NOT allow posting of a blank log, or even a blank note. Not if you do it from the site. You will get a red message stating: You need to enter comments for your log.

You can, of course, post a log or note with nothing more than a period, but the web site doesn't even allow posting of a space character.

I thought that the iphone and other apps had a canned message along the lines of "Sent via..." (phone name). Not so?

Edited by knowschad

Actually, this site does NOT allow posting of a blank log, or even a blank note. Not if you do it from the site. You will get a red message stating: You need to enter comments for your log.

You can, of course, post a log or note with nothing more than a period, but the web site doesn't even allow posting of a space character.

Hm. How do these people do it then? Some other whitespace character? The logs I've seen are completely blank.

I thought that the iphone and other apps had a canned message along the lines of "Sent via..." (phone name). Not so?

Not sure. The guy I know uses the iPhone to browse and as his GPS. I would guess he also logs with it, but I don't know.

Edited by Dinoprophet

They can't log a totally blank log from the website, it won't allow it (try it for yourself). You must put something in the text box.

This strongly suggests that they using some phone application that they don't quite understand or is buggy or misbehaving.

You might look at their more recent logs, if they've figured it out, great. I'd probably just drop it at that point, ie, not bother them about the blank logs. However, if more recent logs are still coming in blank, you might email them and suggest that they learn a bit more about using the phone app. I personally wouldn't do that - ie, since I can't offer anything constructive about how to use the phone app, not knowing myself, and being too lazy to research it for them, I'd just let it go.

You cant? Here let me show you something, let me know when ya saw it or feel free to delete it for me.

You cant? Here let me show you something, let me know when ya saw it or feel free to delete it for me.

I peeked and I saw it. So what'd you do?

It's mean to ask how lame the cache is?? What, are we in kindergarten here?

As for deleting the log, nothing a quick note to Groundspeak wouldn't take care of.

Hm. How do these people do it then? Some other whitespace character? The logs I've seen are completely blank.

Not sure. The guy I know uses the iPhone to browse and as his GPS. I would guess he also logs with it, but I don't know.

I worked a cache in the Buffalo, New York area a few years back and it stated right at the outset " NO LAME LOGS, - ALL LAME LOGS WILL BE DELETED " at first I thought it was rather dictatorial, while reading some of the logs for the cache I noticed where a logger had stated something to the effect ... " well you went to the trouble of creating this cache I can at least honor your efforts and the efforts of other cache owners by posting something with some substance. "

For me it seemed like a thank-you note. That appealed to my sensibilities.

My gut feeling; Lame log = An individual who could care less about a C.O. or their efforts.

But hey I am a cranky old dog

I worked a cache in the Buffalo, New York area a few years back and it stated right at the outset " NO LAME LOGS, - ALL LAME LOGS WILL BE DELETED " at first I thought it was rather dictatorial, while reading some of the logs for the cache I noticed where a logger had stated something to the effect ... " well you went to the trouble of creating this cache I can at least honor your efforts and the efforts of other cache owners by posting something with some substance. "

My gut feeling; Lame log = An individual who could care less about a C.O. or their efforts.

I agree it's polite to say something in your log. I don't believe politeness can or should be enforced.

As far as the poor logs, personally, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I have over 35 hides myself....good ones too, although there are a few easy ones tossed in.....something for everyone. 25% of the logs are excellent, 50% are good, 15% are poor, & the rest are pitiful. he good ones make up for the bad ones & worrying about bad logs isn't something I particuraly care to do. It's always going to happen, so just let them post their "SL" & go on. The next person will make up for it 90% of the time.

I do understand that many hiders take their logs much more seriously than I do. I wonder if some take them TOO seriously. The type people who are posting the "!" logs aren't going to chane, no matter what you do to them. And those are often just the type of people who will go throw your cache in the river as soon as you delete their smiley.

Why's it worth it to micro-manage logs? While I in no way want to encouage poor logs, I also think it's just a waste of time to worry alot about every little word that is written...or the lack of. Just find them, hide them, & have fun....without letting the few bad apples give you high blood pressue & ulcers.

P.S. My logs for the caches I find are some of the best ones of any. Not bragging on myself, but I do write good logs....if the cache deserves one. But that said, even though many of my logs are 3 or 4 paragraphs long.....if I've found 50 of your caches & 49 of them were 35mm film cans at the base of a sign-post, or a Tylenol bottle under a skirt....don't expect much more than 2 or 3 words from me. What's there to actually say?? If you delete it, that's fine. There's a hundred more of the same type within 30 miles of me.

Yeah, you'd have a valid point if the following criteria had been met..

1. Asking if a cache is lame really is an insult..

and

2. If I really am forum frequenter.. 700 or so posts in about 5 years, I hardly qualify.

Then of course there is the question of new technologies being perplexing to some, myself included, and whoooopsies seem to occur.

..snip..

As the owner of over 125 or so caches, I agree I like good logs. Conversely, if you read my logs as a finder, you will see there's a minimum effort which exceeds most. But NOTHING gives me the right to delete the log from some lazy cacher unless there's a spoiler. And CERTAINLY asking the question of whether a cache is lame or not is not insulting unless you're overly senstive or a kindergartener.

I used a tag to allow us to format our posts. :(

That works on the cache page, but not in the email sent to the cache owner:

Log Date: 10/19/2009

how about that one?

OK, you got me there. No tags showed up in the email that I received from your note. While that is interesting, the point that I was trying to make that the website does not "allow" a blank log stands... this is a loophole. And I seriously doubt that the newbies posting blank logs are using that loophole, either.

I used a tag to allow us to format our posts. :(

That works on the cache page, but not in the email sent to the cache owner:

Log Date: 10/19/2009

how about that one?

OK, you got me there. No tags showed up in the email that I received from your note. While that is interesting, the point that I was trying to make that the website does not "allow" a blank log stands... this is a loophole. And I seriously doubt that the newbies posting blank logs are using that loophole, either.

I don't doubt it. I bet it's a common method for faking out required fields on forms.

That said, I still lean toward it being an iPhone issue here. But I just may ask the guy next time I see him and settle it.

I don't doubt it. I bet it's a common method for faking out required fields on forms.

That said, I still lean toward it being an iPhone issue here. But I just may ask the guy next time I see him and settle it.

I know, I mentioned earlier that a phone app was the most likely suspect. I just saw a post about "Wont let" and had to prove it wrong, you two joined in my fun. :(

Hi guys!

Just checking in! I'm not going to get a chance to really read through it all 'till tonight. But thanks for all the feedback and experimentation.

Yes- I do believe it is a remote logging thing.

No- I'm not going to delete their logs outright.

No- I don't consider myself a logging micromanager.

Yes- I'll be sending a nice note asking if it was an oversight and encouraging them to write at least a bit "more" in the future.

Hypothetical Question: So if I make a new cache, and request that people only post empty logs for "found it", is that an ALR, or an ANLR??

OH, and should I then make it a terrain "5" because of the "specialized equipment" required to log it? hmmmmm... (seriously - just kidding)

Maybe it's like people think. Maybe these guys were using an Iapp and don't know that it's different than, say, a Colorado unit. On my colorado I mark it "found" and no comment on most caches. Every once in a while I will add a reminder comment. BUT, on the Colorado it doesn't upload to the GC site right away. Maybe these cachers don't know that when they say "found" on their Iphone, it uploads directly to the site so if they don't add a comment, none is uploaded.

It might be a harmless mistake. No need to delete logs but asking the cachers to add something to their logs isn't out of the question.

This game is supposed to be fun. No reason to get all angsty.

OK, I just sent off some emails. Let's see if anything happens... Here's the text:

---------------------------------------

Hi!

I'm Holazola and see that you recently found some of my caches. I noticed that some of your "Found it" logs were completely blank. I have never seen a completely blank log before so I am sending this note to let you know in case it was in error. Do you by chance geocache and log with an iPhone? I know that when logging finds through the website directly that it actually won't let you post a "blank" log. Just curious I guess. FYI, you can always add or edit the text in your logs at any time from the cache page itself.

As you may or may not know, It is customary to write at least a little something in the log about your experience finding the cache, even if very brief. It is personally enjoyable for me to read about what people think of my hides, but I also use the logs for feedback and to keeps tabs on which caches might need some help ("log is getting full", or "contaner is cracked" or "I think it might be missing!"). I also highly reccommend posting your DNFs (did not find logs), as some caches go missing and there is no way to know it needs replacing unless we see DNF logs. Plus almost every cache owner is happy to give extra

hints if you have already put some effort into looking for it.

I'll wrap up by saying welcome to geocaching! I hope you are having fun finding caches, and I look forward to you finding more of my hides.

Best Regards, Holazola

OK, I just sent off some emails. Let's see if anything happens... Here's the text:

Hi!

I'm Holazola and see that you recently found some of my caches. I noticed that some of your "Found it" logs were completely blank. I have never seen a completely blank log before so I am sending this note to let you know in case it was in error. Do you by chance geocache and log with an iPhone? I know that when logging finds through the website directly that it actually won't let you post a "blank" log. Just curious I guess. FYI, you can always add or edit the text in your logs at any time from the cache page itself.

As you may or may not know, It is customary to write at least a little something in the log about your experience finding the cache, even if very brief. It is personally enjoyable for me to read about what people think of my hides, but I also use the logs for feedback and to keeps tabs on which caches might need some help ("log is getting full", or "contaner is cracked" or "I think it might be missing!"). I also highly reccommend posting your DNFs (did not find logs), as some caches go missing and there is no way to know it needs replacing unless we see DNF logs. Plus almost every cache owner is happy to give extra

hints if you have already put some effort into looking for it.

I'll wrap up by saying welcome to geocaching! I hope you are having fun finding caches, and I look forward to you finding more of my hides.

Best Regards, Holazola

I agree... very well worded. I really think you will get a positive response from that.

Well I just logged a find on one of my caches with the iPhone app and if you have "auto post as log" set to on, it will post a found it with absolutely no text in the log or email. So more than likely it is someone using a new to them app.

Tim

Did you report that over in the thread over in the website forum? Nate will see it there and he stated he was going to look into it.

Well I just logged a find on one of my caches with the iPhone app and if you have "auto post as log" set to on, it will post a found it with absolutely no text in the log or email. So more than likely it is someone using a new to them app.

Tim

GS should reprogram the Iphone app so it will automagically add "Great hide. TFTC" instead of a blank log.

:D