Onboard Cruise Caches?

zuni moon

As already posted-it all depends on where you are planning to cruise.

On a recent cruise to Alaska we found caches at all three ports of call-Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. We also rented a car in Skagway and found caches in British Colombia and the Yukon.

The following day the ship toured Glacier Bay National Park, and logged the two Earth Caches in the park. The only way to access those is by boat.

Other than those links provided above (which I haven't looked at yet--the tabs are loading!), the only way I have seen it done was to post an Event cache that can include the outings to find geocaches while at ports. You'd really want to be clear on the fact that the event would involve getting on a ship and leaving for a while! Also, if you wanted to publish an event for the cruise, you will want to touch base with the Reviewer for the area you propose having the event. They can let you know what they think, how it can meet the guidelines, and how to make it work.

And, now that I've looked at the page links provided above, it doesn't look like a "Geocaching Cruise" is something that companies are advertising themselves. Anyone could get a group of people who geocache to buy tickets on a cruiseship and have networking and events planned to get on board and meet others/plan cache outings while in ports of call.

That being the case, you can post an event, but the coords will likely need to be at the docks, and certainly not while you are underway. (Unless a Reviewer can find a way that it can work under tha guidelines...)

Could be fun. We had an event on shore here in Homer, AK on a day when a cruise ship was here. Not a soul from the cruise showed up. It was a bummer, but the event wasn't simply put on for the cruise.

Other than those links provided above (which I haven't looked at yet--the tabs are loading!), the only way I have seen it done was to post an Event cache that can include the outings to find geocaches while at ports. You'd really want to be clear on the fact that the event would involve getting on a ship and leaving for a while! Also, if you wanted to publish an event for the cruise, you will want to touch base with the Reviewer for the area you propose having the event. They can let you know what they think, how it can meet the guidelines, and how to make it work.

And, now that I've looked at the page links provided above, it doesn't look like a "Geocaching Cruise" is something that companies are advertising themselves. Anyone could get a group of people who geocache to buy tickets on a cruiseship and have networking and events planned to get on board and meet others/plan cache outings while in ports of call.

That being the case, you can post an event, but the coords will likely need to be at the docks, and certainly not while you are underway. (Unless a Reviewer can find a way that it can work under tha guidelines...)

Could be fun. We had an event on shore here in Homer, AK on a day when a cruise ship was here. Not a soul from the cruise showed up. It was a bummer, but the event wasn't simply put on for the cruise.

Here's the link to the cache I referenced: http://coord.info/GC393HE

You don't need to pay the cruise line to show you the caches. In Juneau there is one right on the pier where the ships tie up, and several others within walking distance in town.

Absolutely, we didn't do it and found a whole bunch in the major stops. I think the excursion takes you out into the woods for the higher terrain ones.