Geocaching **WITH** Law Enforcement Officer!

I've seen a few stories about folks out caching who encounter a law enforcement officer and in the end get help from them looking for a cache, but since I haven't seen anything like this story I thought that I'd share it.

I'm a Neighborhood Watch Coordinator and was doing a periodic Ride Along with a police officer on Friday night. We spent 10 hours together riding around in the patrol car covering our assigned zone. As we were driving along I was noticing something interesting -- that each time we hit an area where there wasn't a geocache located nearby, that ended up being an area where the officer remarked that they'd had problems. And in areas where I knew there were a fair amount of caches he remarked that it was an area where they'd not had problems. All of which makes sense given that I know that I'd not want to leave a cache in a dangerous area.

When we stopped for dinner we got to talking and somehow the conversation drifted to geocaching. He'd not heard of it so I was explaining it to him and told him what I'd been noticing about cache locations and such. But he really seemed to find the whole notion of geocaching interesting and that there are bunches of folks out there hiding and finding things. When he asked whether there might be any caches located nearby I whipped out my iPhone and after checking said, well yes, that we were within about 200 feet of one right then and that we'd passed it on the way into the restaurant parking lot. So he asked if I'd take us to it so he could see a cache for himself. We had no pending calls so we drove the patrol car over adjacent to this site, and parked as close as you could get. We were then walking along and he asked how I'd know where to look since this was one that I hadn't myself yet gone looking for...and I showed him the cache information and description from my iPhone and then said that I'd probably hide it right about "here" if it were me...and reached down under something and after feeling my way along one edge then pulled this cache out as he watched.

He was fascinated by the whole concept AND that there was actually a log in this little container. We stood there late at night looking over log entries that went back for quite awhile. He stopped short of signing the log for himself because he didn't think that it would be right since I'd actually found it. But for a moment there I think that I had him tempted to come up with his own geocaching nickname. As we were finishing the shift off we stopped by one of my own hides and showed him in general where it was and after not finding it I then introduced him to a magnetic nano and that one really blew his mind.

I think that we now have one more Virginia Beach Police Officer who understands geocaching and knows just what to ask when he sees someone hanging around potential cache sites. But it was a rather strange experience -- not just being assisted by LEO, but actually going with an officer to find a cache.

I've seen a few stories about folks out caching who encounter a law enforcement officer and in the end get help from them looking for a cache, but since I haven't seen anything like this story I thought that I'd share it.

I'm a Neighborhood Watch Coordinator and was doing a periodic Ride Along with a police officer on Friday night. We spent 10 hours together riding around in the patrol car covering our assigned zone. As we were driving along I was noticing something interesting -- that each time we hit an area where there wasn't a geocache located nearby, that ended up being an area where the officer remarked that they'd had problems. And in areas where I knew there were a fair amount of caches he remarked that it was an area where they'd not had problems. All of which makes sense given that I know that I'd not want to leave a cache in a dangerous area.

When we stopped for dinner we got to talking and somehow the conversation drifted to geocaching. He'd not heard of it so I was explaining it to him and told him what I'd been noticing about cache locations and such. But he really seemed to find the whole notion of geocaching interesting and that there are bunches of folks out there hiding and finding things. When he asked whether there might be any caches located nearby I whipped out my iPhone and after checking said, well yes, that we were within about 200 feet of one right then and that we'd passed it on the way into the restaurant parking lot. So he asked if I'd take us to it so he could see a cache for himself. We had no pending calls so we drove the patrol car over adjacent to this site, and parked as close as you could get. We were then walking along and he asked how I'd know where to look since this was one that I hadn't myself yet gone looking for...and I showed him the cache information and description from my iPhone and then said that I'd probably hide it right about "here" if it were me...and reached down under something and after feeling my way along one edge then pulled this cache out as he watched.

He was fascinated by the whole concept AND that there was actually a log in this little container. We stood there late at night looking over log entries that went back for quite awhile. He stopped short of signing the log for himself because he didn't think that it would be right since I'd actually found it. But for a moment there I think that I had him tempted to come up with his own geocaching nickname. As we were finishing the shift off we stopped by one of my own hides and showed him in general where it was and after not finding it I then introduced him to a magnetic nano and that one really blew his mind.

I think that we now have one more Virginia Beach Police Officer who understands geocaching and knows just what to ask when he sees someone hanging around potential cache sites. But it was a rather strange experience -- not just being assisted by LEO, but actually going with an officer to find a cache.

My friend and I showed two separate officers how to geocache last night (early this morning). I guess we were looking particularly suspicious this last trip out.

One we were signing the log and I showed him where it was hidden as I put it back and the other pulled up right after we did and I took him to the cache site and just removed it from the hiding spot. Both were really surprised by it.

BTW, the first cop saw my friend looking for another one a little later. He stopped and said "Here too? You gotta be kidding me!" and then laughed and drove off.

I think a lot of officers have heard about it but I think ALL officers need to experience it to fully understand how harmless (and potentially beneficial) this hobby is.

Im a geocaching LEO and have told as many of my coworkers about it as I can. I have even had them call me because someone that looked "suspicious" said they were caching to ask if I knew of a cache hidden in that area to which I replied I'm not sure..ask them what their usernames are.. :(

Caching does tend to get interesting really fast when a LEO pulls up behind you. That happened to me in Virginia City, Nevada a few days ago. I always knew it was going to happen someday, but man, are you surprised when it does. My caching buddy and I laughed about this all the way to Las Vegas.

I can't do it fancy, but here is the link to the found log.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...52-6da196431296

Glad to see this topic come up- I had my very first LEO experiance while caching just last Saturday.

It was extremely positive and couldn't have gone better. Nice to see that word is getting out in my neck of the woods.

The cache: GC1KK1G

My Found It log.

Busted once after about 400 finds? Sounds about right! In our area, the numbers range around once per 500. I've had it easier so far. Only 3 times per 1999 finds (ready to score #2000 tonight!). I spent a good 30 minutes with a local sheriff's deputy the first time I had an LEO encounter. I explained geocaching, and he explained the history of the site I was searching. Had a fine time.

Watch, I'll have jinxed it, and one of these days, they'll bring the whole SWAT team to watch me work :(

We had the opportunity to explain geocaching to 2 policeman in a small Iowa town after they pulled up behind our geo-mobile while we were searching some street signs on a corner. They first sat in their car for a few minutes watching and later told us they found it funny because they couldn't figure out what in the world we were doing. We explained it all to them & showed them the cache. They both found it real interesting & asked lots of questions. Now they will know what other cachers are up to when they see them searching around in the area. :D

I've had several encounters all was fine one in particular was a cache I was looking for in a large wooded area that I live by. As I was looking and crawling under all these logs I hear "What are you doing" I look up to see 2 of Vancouver's finest looking down on me. I got up and explained Geocaching and showed them my GPS which was proof enough for them. One of the officers was a cacher and started picking my brain for several caches she could not find and was asking me for hints. We all walked out together and all was good. Found out on the walk out that they were casing the place for Homeless people that were setting up house in this area, to roust them out.

ScubaSonic

When we stopped for dinner

Mmmm more donuts. :)

I whipped out my iPhone

Blatent advertising :)

He (prentended) to be fascinated by the whole concept....He stopped short of signing the log for himself because....

...he had to go back to the donut shop. ( or just to escape this weirdo with a gps) :D

"The moral of this story is"

Keep the truth to yourself. Do not let the authorities know anything.

:)

I was approached by a rather Irrate Home Owner recently while searching for a Cache named Fish Food. I was looking into a drain pipe when he walked up on me and demanded to know what I was doing. He told me he had called the Law and that I had better go. I felt it best to tell this man the truth as he was obviously upset but that didn't seem to matter to him.

Two things that are important to know about this...First I was on Public Property not this Gentlemans land. searching an area near a pond which was marked as a No Trespassing Area. Two, while I was leaving a Police oficer did indeed pull up and watched me leave but didn't try to stop me.

I was on this property acting in good faith that this cache was placed with permission...There had been many others who had logged this cache prior to my run for it and no one else had any problems. After I was confronted I reported this cache and it has since been archived.

I was approached by a rather Irrate Home Owner recently while searching for a Cache named Fish Food. I was looking into a drain pipe when he walked up on me and demanded to know what I was doing. He told me he had called the Law and that I had better go. I felt it best to tell this man the truth as he was obviously upset but that didn't seem to matter to him.

Two things that are important to know about this...First I was on Public Property not this Gentlemans land. searching an area near a pond which was marked as a No Trespassing Area. Two, while I was leaving a Police oficer did indeed pull up and watched me leave but didn't try to stop me.

I was on this property acting in good faith that this cache was placed with permission...There had been many others who had logged this cache prior to my run for it and no one else had any problems. After I was confronted I reported this cache and it has since been archived.

I would have just waited for the cop to arrive and explain what was going on. He might have helped you look for the cache if, indeed, it was on public property.

My sister in law is a Sergeant in the LAPD and occasionally sees geocachers lurking around. When she first stopped a geocacher and heard his explanation, she didn't believe him. Then she remembered a conversation we had on a ride along and called me while she was in the field to see if the guy’s story made sense. I verified that if he has a GPSr, a pen and was clear of wants and warrants she should use her giant flash light and help the guy and if the find is made let the guy go. I don't remember the cache, this was a few years ago... The next day she called me and asked to explain, "smiley"...

:o

As with drdan's post, there is a notable decrease in 'crime' in areas she patrols that are visited by cachers.

Edited by Bosn Ski

I would have just waited for the cop to arrive and explain what was going on. He might have helped you look for the cache if, indeed, it was on public property.

It is on Private Property. However I have since found out that the cache owner did not seek nor receive permission to place this cache on Property marked with No Trespassing signs.