Using trash as the cache

I have heard of an underwater (SCUBA) cache where the waterproof log is attached to a submerged car wreck. Now obviously no cacher could CITO a car, but what about a lesser version of the same thing?

Exploring a wonderful cache-worthy ravine today, I saw a car tire which has evidently been there for quite some time. It can be seen from the top of the ravine (the approach) and I thought it would be a wheely good spot for a cache. (get it? "wheely" :smile: )

But in good CITO spirit, should I remove the tire (or ring the municipal council) to clean up the area? It is just one tire, but still too heavy for me to get it up the steep ravine wall.

Thoughts?

I've seen some Caches that used existing debris as the concealment, like tires and and old appliances. Those are nice. The one's that use Garbage like bags and cups are not so nice. I would say it depends in the Character of the area. I have one that is under a rusty old paint thinner type can. It's very common to find these kinds of things all around in the desert where the hide is. Haha, at least one person almost removed it as trash, and at least one was thinking of taking it to use for hiding a Cache(Before they realized that it was already doing that)

I must say, I'm not a huge fan of using trash as a cache... On the "Cool Cache Containers" page there are a number of very clever hides, but they're caches disguised as garbage.

In my opinion, we should be doing our best to clean up a bit and not add to it. Attaching a container to it with a log doesn't make it not-trash...

I completely undesrtand your situation however... Removing it would prove pretty tyring :smile: .... (I know it was corny but...)

I will weigh in here. I'm an old school cache in the woods guy. I've found probably 10 caches that used common garbage in the woods as "cover". I must say I didn't particularly care for this. :smile: What, am I supposed to CITO this hubcap, or rotting piece of plywood and leave the cache sitting in the open? Caches that themselves are disguised as garbage, I wouldn't know. There's one in my area, I'd heard about it's hiding method from a few locals, and it's long since been ignored.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

The one that I found in an old tire did not last very long. It was not an especially good hiding place. I wouldn't hide one there.

The two that I found in old cars a half mile in should last a bit better. Though the one old heap is rusting badly.

The interesting one was the one in the beer bottle (with cork), in a hole under a concrete slab. Not sure how long that one will last, but I rather liked it.

Ok, so here's what I'm thinking:

I name the cache "A wheely good cache" or similar. When cachers approach the ravine, they see the tire (It's actually the whole wheel, with the metal hub and all) and they know that's the spot. They find a way to climb down, get to the tire, but the cache is not immediately obvious. That's cos I've hidden it under a tree root about 3 feet away.

I'm using the tire for the name, not for the hide itself.

So if ever someone decides to remove the tire, I have to change the name of the cache.

Doable?

Ok, so here's what I'm thinking:

I name the cache "A wheely good cache" or similar. When cachers approach the ravine, they see the tire (It's actually the whole wheel, with the metal hub and all) and they know that's the spot. They find a way to climb down, get to the tire, but the cache is not immediately obvious. That's cos I've hidden it under a tree root about 3 feet away.

I'm using the tire for the name, not for the hide itself.

So if ever someone decides to remove the tire, I have to change the name of the cache.

Doable?

I like the subterfuge.