TomTomOne and POI'S

How are you creating your POI's? I use GSAK there is an option in there to export caches as POI's then copy them from your PC to your Tomtom via its USB cable.

Currently I am not creating my POI's with anything. I have no idea how to do it. Yes I am blonde!!! Off to GSAK I guess and see if I get anywhere.

How are you creating your POI's? I use GSAK there is an option in there to export caches as POI's then copy them from your PC to your Tomtom via its USB cable.

Currently I am not creating my POI's with anything. I have no idea how to do it. Yes I am blonde!!! Off to GSAK I guess and see if I get anywhere.

If you are going to bother with GSAK don't just make POI's. Use the macro and you will have it done faster it will be much easier to use.

Can someone tell me or direct me to a walkthrough on how to load cache's as POI's into my TomTom One?

The way I do it is a bit labor intensive, but I am using the basic geocaching.com membership and trial version of GSAK. I do a search within "x" miles from my home location, then as the search result pages come up, I click "check all" and "download waypoints" at the bottom of the page, then save the file. This gives me about 20 caches in a file. I just name them by zip code and page: ex. "37821_p1.loc" After saving several pages (usually in one folder) I bundle them all into a .zip file. Next, I open GSAK and load the zip file. Now, with the TomTom connected via USB cable, I use the option on GSAK "File" "Export" "TomTom POI". Then save the exported file on the TomTom. The file and directory on my unit is: "E:\USA_and_Canada\Waypoints.ov2". Then the caches will show up on the TomTom as Waypoints. To find one just select "Navigate To" "POI Near You" "Waypoints" and it will show a list of caches... from this point you navigate to them just as you would any POI. You can select the unit to display "waypoints" as POI's and warn if within "x" yards of POI with audible alert.

As for caching with the unit itself, when you're close to the cache go to "Browse Map" "Find" "My Location" and you'll have a nice easy to follow 2D layout. If you're having trouble getting the pointer to refresh, you can always turn off the unit and then turn it back on, and it will come right back up to the browse screen you were just on. The TomTom does have an annoying feature that makes it always "snap" to the closest road, but after some playing around you figure out how to navigate pretty well. All the same, I did invest in a $50 used eTrex legend as a supplemental unit to the TomTom. Hope this helped without too much confusion!

Load your PQ into GSAK. Load and then run this macro. It will create the files that you should paste into your map file on your TT.

It is very easy and it works great!

Hi Knight, I am trying to get my sisters Tom Tom 1 loaded with caches for a trip from Wenatchee,Wa to Disneyland. I use gsak, but I don't know how to paste onto the map file? I sure could use some help. Thanks

Load your PQ into GSAK. Load and then run this macro. It will create the files that you should paste into your map file on your TT.

It is very easy and it works great!

Hi Knight, I am trying to get my sisters Tom Tom 1 loaded with caches for a trip from Wenatchee,Wa to Disneyland. I use gsak, but I don't know how to paste onto the map file? I sure could use some help. Thanks

After you get the poi file and images from the gsak macro you paste them into the file that holds the maps on the TomTom. Mine says something like USA_ or something.

Can someone tell me or direct me to a walkthrough on how to load cache's as POI's into my TomTom One?

The way I do it is a bit labor intensive, but I am using the basic geocaching.com membership and trial version of GSAK. I do a search within "x" miles from my home location, then as the search result pages come up, I click "check all" and "download waypoints" at the bottom of the page, then save the file. This gives me about 20 caches in a file. I just name them by zip code and page: ex. "37821_p1.loc" After saving several pages (usually in one folder) I bundle them all into a .zip file. Next, I open GSAK and load the zip file. Now, with the TomTom connected via USB cable, I use the option on GSAK "File" "Export" "TomTom POI". Then save the exported file on the TomTom. The file and directory on my unit is: "E:\USA_and_Canada\Waypoints.ov2". Then the caches will show up on the TomTom as Waypoints. To find one just select "Navigate To" "POI Near You" "Waypoints" and it will show a list of caches... from this point you navigate to them just as you would any POI. You can select the unit to display "waypoints" as POI's and warn if within "x" yards of POI with audible alert.

As for caching with the unit itself, when you're close to the cache go to "Browse Map" "Find" "My Location" and you'll have a nice easy to follow 2D layout. If you're having trouble getting the pointer to refresh, you can always turn off the unit and then turn it back on, and it will come right back up to the browse screen you were just on. The TomTom does have an annoying feature that makes it always "snap" to the closest road, but after some playing around you figure out how to navigate pretty well. All the same, I did invest in a $50 used eTrex legend as a supplemental unit to the TomTom. Hope this helped without too much confusion!

This worked perfect! Thank you!