Disrespect

Infern01

If I get 50 logs saying "quick find", "easy find", "fun cache",

If I got 50 logs like that I'd consider the cache a dismal failure. :D:D

A highly biased and occasionally inaccurate measure of whether a cache is going to fit my peculiar aesthetics is the average length of the logs. Often, folks who find the types of caches I enjoy the most are more verbose than usual, and this is reflected in their logs. On the hiding side of this coin, I like to create the types of caches that typically generate longer than average logs. I do this by building adventures, taking people outside their normal comfort zones either physically, mentally or spiritually.

One fifty word log is a success. Fifty "fun cache" logs is a failure. I'm with you, give something they want to talk about.

I've solved this problem by not looking for caches I dislike or wouldn't have fun finding.

Can I get an "AMEN!", Brother! :D

The longer I cache the less likely I am to look for a cache that doesn't interest me. Hey, I'm learning! Slowly.

... What I would consider disrespectful is placing +1 and nothing else in a log. I actually had a finder delete their original logs months later and add a new one with +1.

For those who don not know what that means, it is something along the line of "the only thing this cache provided me with is more more to my cache count" and is also considered nothing more than an insult. I don't care how much I dislike a hide or another cacher, IMHO that is sinking to a level I will never go to.

Rude people who are just natural curmudgeons don't bug me too much. I mostly pity them. Rude people who think they're cool with a stupid '+1' or 'DPM' don't deserve that much respect. I would delete their logs in a second, offering to let them repost if they can decide to play like adults. Of course, I realize that I would run some risk of having TPTB restore the log, but I'm willing to take the chance.
... What I would consider disrespectful is placing +1 and nothing else in a log. I actually had a finder delete their original logs months later and add a new one with +1.

For those who don not know what that means, it is something along the line of "the only thing this cache provided me with is more more to my cache count" and is also considered nothing more than an insult. I don't care how much I dislike a hide or another cacher, IMHO that is sinking to a level I will never go to.

Rude people who are just natural curmudgeons don't bug me too much. I mostly pity them. Rude people who think they're cool with a stupid '+1' or 'DPM' don't deserve that much respect. I would delete their logs in a second, offering to let them repost if they can decide to play like adults. Of course, I realize that I would run some risk of having TPTB restore the log, but I'm willing to take the chance.

I thought about deleting the log, but I thought that would re enforce to the logger that they had achieved what they set out to do. Instead, I let it sit for others to see how childish they have behaved.

Hahahaha We ain't got no lampposts!!!!
Hey, you're not all that far from Marquette! :D

I was thinking the same thing! :laughing:

:D Just before entering the forums today, I showed Gummee the geomap of MQT (moments ago).

Yes, we are clearing our schedule for a day or two. Need to do it before the 2' of "sunshine" shows up.

We promise to do polite but pitifully honest logs. :D

Reading this thread shamed me into going back and editing one of my old logs.

OK, the CO described a tick-infested swamp as an "enchanted forest." I still didn't need to be such a d*** about it.

Ah subjectivity...

I may have held that CO's sentiments, some love the desert some loath it, some like snow same hate it.

I love wetlands, what I might call a lovely place to wander (bogs), others will call a death trap.

OK, the CO described a tick-infested swamp as an "enchanted forest." I still didn't need to be such a d*** about it.

Ah subjectivity...

I may have held that CO's sentiments, some love the desert some loath it, some like snow same hate it.

I love wetlands, what I might call a lovely place to wander (bogs), others will call a death trap.

*Highlight* -- Is that like a cedar swamp (for us "cedar savages")? :D

Or is it a cranberry bog? (Which BTW are going ripe, now) :D

Edit: Sorry, we are not placing caches in the cranberry bogs. Kinda like the good fishing hole, ya know.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I thought about deleting the log, but I thought that would re enforce to the logger that they had achieved what they set out to do. Instead, I let it sit for others to see how childish they have behaved.

I envy your restraint.

Ah subjectivity...

*Highlight* -- Is that like a cedar swamp (for us "cedar savages")? :D

Or is it a cranberry bog? (Which BTW are going ripe, now) :D

Edit: Sorry, we are not placing caches in the cranberry bogs. Kinda like the good fishing hole, ya know.

Got me! I was to ambiguous. Sphagnum peat bogs. Particularly the relatively young ones where one runs a risk of falling through and being unable to resurface. I'll add I wont place a cache on a Sphagnum peat bog. The bogs I know best all contain plants I wouldn't want to see poached, particularly Sarracenia purpurea subsp. purpurea (purple pitcher plant) & the even more rare Sarracenia purpurea subsp. purpurea f. heterophylla (anthocyanin-free mutant making it a solid bright green). You guys have spectacular stands of purpurea subsp. purpurea up there.*envy* UP is also the only place I have ever seen Pinguicula vulgaris (common butterwort) in the wild.

Heading down to Waterloo Rec to gather my annual cranberry supply next weekend. woot woot

So what you are saying is you have ALRs and that the rules don't apply to you unless they are enforced?

Your ALR, of course, is that the cacher must post a log that meets your specific criteria for length and politeness.

...Rude people who are just natural curmudgeons don't bug me too much. I mostly pity them. Rude people who think they're cool with a stupid '+1' or 'DPM' don't deserve that much respect....

Agreed. Every now and then I've found that some rude people are not so much rude by intent but by their experssive nature. It's hard to describe but some folks sound like crap (for lack of a better word) but would give you the shirt off their back and be happy about it (even though they would bitch the entire time).

There is an art or maybe a skill to seeing through the curmudgeon layer to the gentle soul. And then some are that rude and evil to the core. You are supposed to treat them nice just the same. That's hard.

So what you are saying is you have ALRs and that the rules don't apply to you unless they are enforced?

Your ALR, of course, is that the cacher must post a log that meets your specific criteria for length and politeness.

Each of us are just a big sack full of contradictions. At least I recognize mine.

BTW, I have no 'length' requirement. As I explained in the post that you quoted, I don't really have a 'politeness' requirement, either. I have a jerkiness requirement, I suppose. So far, I haven't had to put this requirement into practice, but I think that I would.

Oh sh... :)

I just had to go back and edit a post I made a little while ago that included a +1, along with a rather complimentary write up.

Just goes to show you, a compliment in one culture is another cultures insult.

Oh sh... :D

I just had to go back and edit a post I made a little while ago that included a +1, along with a rather complimentary write up.

Very strange. I am not sure this has happened, but I don't use the phrase IMHO. I wonder how that happened to get into my original post?

Oh sh... :D

Very strange. I am not sure this has happened, but I don't use the phrase IMHO. I wonder how that happened to get into my original post?

Looks like the post was unedited so the most likely thing is that you typed it in on your keyboard. If you didn't type it then you have been randomly hacked or your dog/cat posted for you.

I think the person just lacks a little tact in phrasing his logs. Honesty is great, how else are we going to know that our cache is in a thorn pile and might need relocation. I think this person is a little harsh in his criticism, not to mention he may not completely understand that its not always that easy being a cache owner because he has never placed one!

Looks like the post was unedited so the most likely thing is that you typed it in on your keyboard. If you didn't type it then you have been randomly hacked or your dog/cat posted for you.

This happens a lot in my house. And I don't think you ought to worry about it.

(In My Hamster's Opinion.)

I certainly am not worried about it. My cats both have Facebook accounts so who am I to comment on hamsters or other critters posting stuff? I do know I have typed stuff a few times that I wish I could blame on my cats. :D

I certainly am not worried about it. My cats both have Facebook accounts so who am I to comment on hamsters or other critters posting stuff? I do know I have typed stuff a few times that I wish I could blame on my cats. :D

I am sure there are a few things I have type that I could have or should have phrased better. I am aure that has lead to problems in the past.

I will have to have a talk with my budgie. I think he has been watching me too much while I am typing.