Memorial Cache Container

Fuzzywhip

This is an idea that I have been kicking around for awhile. I want to build this, but not sure the reaction that cachers would have. I need some feedback.

Most of us have seen those roadside memorials as we are driving. You know the type, usually a cross on the side of the road someone has erected as a memorial to somebody who has died in a traffic accident.

I have been thinking of a fake memorial. No cross, but a pile of rocks cemented together like a pillar marker. Perhaps a name plaque saying "Memorial to No One" or something like that.

The cache container would be built into the centre of the pillar. You would have to tip the whole thing on its side to get the lid off.

Initally, I would place it on the side of a road somewhere (perhaps a back road that does not get very much traffic). Otherwise, place it in the woods that would be out of sight from the road.

What do you think?

Edited by Fuzzywhip

Check with the highway department that has maintenance responsibility for the stretch of road where you're thinking of hiding this cache. In many jurisdictions, "real" unofficial roadside memorials are illegal and subject to removal.

If that is an impediment, your other idea to put the memorial in the woods is a good one. There are many caches with a similar theme.

I think you should check the right-of-way requirements for your area first.

Typically if you construct something in the ROW, you are subject to damages/injury the construction causes should it be involved in/part of a traffic crash.

Too, it may be flat out illegal to place it there.

Your idea has merit, but be careful with the ROW issues.

EDIT: Hmmmmmm Keystone said kind of sort of the same thing whilst I was typing. :D

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

This is an idea that I have been kicking around for awhile. I want to build this, but not sure the reaction that cachers would have. I need some feedback.

Most of us have seen those roadside memorials as we are driving. You know the type, usually a cross on the side of the road someone has erected as a memorial to somebody who has died in a traffic accident.

I have been thinking of a fake memorial. No cross, but a pile of rocks cemented together like a pillar marker. Perhaps a name plaque saying "Memorial to No One" or something like that.

The cache container would be built into the centre of the pillar. You would have to tip the whole thing on its side to get the lid off.

Initally, I would place it on the side of a road somewhere (perhaps a back road that does not get very much traffic). Otherwise, place it in the woods that would be out of sight from the road.

What do you think?

I love the idea but I'd certainly tweak it a bit. I would not personally use stones cemented together. In our area the ditches get mowed and would hate to be responsible for damaged equipment. I'd keep it simple and somewhat "destructable" if hit by a real careaning car or mowing equipment.

IMO, I find that disrespectful, but you can't please everyone all the time. :smile: I have been to a cache that was a memorial to a teenager who had been gunned down in N. Michigan while swimming with friends. In the woods a few miles from where she died, a memorial was created and a cache placed behind it. See the link below to a picture of my son with my nieces at the cache site. It has been there for many years now and probably hasn't been vandalized because it is what it is.

I have heard about people wanting roadside memorials taken away because it was a distraction and possible hazard to rubber necking drivers.

Why not create a real memoriam to someone you know who has died? My mom died of breast cancer a few years back. I've made a cache with a breast cancer theme and a pink ribbon TB. I've been looking, but haven't found the right spot to place it yet.

Please scroll down to the very bottom of the linked page. I tried to post a link to the picture itself, but what I'm doing isn't working.

http://thecachecheckers.blogspot.com/2009/...-with-snow.html

IMO, I find that disrespectful, but you can't please everyone all the time. :smile: I have been to a cache that was a memorial to a teenager who had been gunned down in N. Michigan while swimming with friends. In the woods a few miles from where she died, a memorial was created and a cache placed behind it. See the link below to a picture of my son with my nieces at the cache site. It has been there for many years now and probably hasn't been vandalized because it is what it is.

I have heard about people wanting roadside memorials taken away because it was a distraction and possible hazard to rubber necking drivers.

Why not create a real memoriam to someone you know who has died? My mom died of breast cancer a few years back. I've made a cache with a breast cancer theme and a pink ribbon TB. I've been looking, but haven't found the right spot to place it yet.

Please scroll down to the very bottom of the linked page. I tried to post a link to the picture itself, but what I'm doing isn't working.

Nieces%202009%207.jpg

I think that most road side memorials are disrespectful. Most of the ones I have seen are memorializing stupid teens that where not only ILLEGALLY drinking but compounded their crime by driving.

Take it how you will, disrespects smart people by trying to get them to pity the stupid or disrespects the dead by giving people like me a chance to say "That's what you deserve, you moron."

Then you have rubbernecking. Would it be appropriate for me to put up a memorial to trees that where destroyed by somebody rubbernecking a memorial a few yards back? I have seen it.

I appreciate all the feedback. My uncertainty seems to be founded.

Now thinking about a marker (not a memorial or a gravestone or anything like that) hidden in the woods.

PS: I have put up a memorial cache (Fuzzy's Mom GC1ZE46) for my mother, who died of cancer a year ago.

Edited by Fuzzywhip
Would it be appropriate for me to put up a memorial to trees that where destroyed

On a similar vein... On a windy, tree lined, 30 mph road north of me, several teens were racing, drunk off their gourds. The race was over when one of the cars plowed into a several hundred year old oak tree off the side of the road at 90+ mph. The occupants of that car did not survive. Their school chums, in their infinite wisdom, decided to blame the tree, and cut it down in a desperate attempt to assuage their grief. I don't know if they were arrested, but I hope so.

Nieces%202009%207.jpg

I think that most road side memorials are disrespectful. Most of the ones I have seen are memorializing stupid teens that where not only ILLEGALLY drinking but compounded their crime by driving.

Take it how you will, disrespects smart people by trying to get them to pity the stupid or disrespects the dead by giving people like me a chance to say "That's what you deserve, you moron."

Then you have rubbernecking. Would it be appropriate for me to put up a memorial to trees that where destroyed by somebody rubbernecking a memorial a few yards back? I have seen it.

Thank you for posting just the pic.

I don't think roadside memorials are disprespectful. No matter what the issue was behind the accident, somebody lost someone they loved. If they feel the need to grieve by putting up a roadside memorial, then they need to do that.

A memorial to trees destroyed in a car crash in pathetic and was probably a joke.

Would it be appropriate for me to put up a memorial to trees that where destroyed

On a similar vein... On a windy, tree lined, 30 mph road north of me, several teens were racing, drunk off their gourds. The race was over when one of the cars plowed into a several hundred year old oak tree off the side of the road at 90+ mph. The occupants of that car did not survive. Their school chums, in their infinite wisdom, decided to blame the tree, and cut it down in a desperate attempt to assuage their grief. I don't know if they were arrested, but I hope so.

I'm a conservationist who is anti ecoterrorist and something tells me vengeance for the tree isn't terroristic. :smile:

I too think a fake memorial would be disrespectful towards those people who have lost a loved one in a road fatality. Again - that's just me.

You could make it a cairn denoting a survey marker, historical event or site of cultural significance. Either real or fake. If you put a brass plaque on it, you could write what you like, but be warned there are people who will believe it, so make sure it is either insignificant or completely ridiculous. (Like aliens landed there, or something)

In the building where I work, outside the bathrooms, there is this brass disc on the floor about 4 inches across. I have no idea why it is there, but I am so tempted to write on it "This brass plaque was placed to denote a site of historical or cultural significance. <--Ladies | Gents-->"

I know you can't please everyone, but as long as you try to eliminate the big social faux pas, you should be okay.