Wherigo for Garmin Dakota 20

putali

This is most definitely a Garmin question and I feel only Garmin can answer this. It would be good to let Garmin know the Wherigo Player is missed on the Dakota.

Perhaps with time, though. Given that more bugs were released with the Oregon's Player than the Colorado's, I hope Garmin held the Dakota's off so they could fix it. That or the cost didn't justify itself on the Dakota or we weren't part of their target market. We'll see with time as the product and its OS matures.

My guess is that if Garmin were intending to put Wherigo on the Dakota, they'd have done it from day one. It doesn't make sense from a marketing point of view to withhold/provide a feature in order to justify the price being lower/higher, then add it later. There will be some people who would otherwise be happy with the Dakota except for Wherigo and hence go for the Oregon. (I have my hand up here; when my Colorado finally falls apart, the Oregon is the slated replacement for exactly this reason.) It would be poor marketing to then give the Wherigo functionality away in a later upgrade.

My guess is that if Garmin were intending to put Wherigo on the Dakota, they'd have done it from day one. It doesn't make sense from a marketing point of view to withhold/provide a feature in order to justify the price being lower/higher, then add it later. There will be some people who would otherwise be happy with the Dakota except for Wherigo and hence go for the Oregon. (I have my hand up here; when my Colorado finally falls apart, the Oregon is the slated replacement for exactly this reason.) It would be poor marketing to then give the Wherigo functionality away in a later upgrade.

I have to agree with this. I looked at the Dakota as a potential replacement for my wife's eXplorist that doesn't have much life left to it.... right up until I noticed the missing Wherigo line item. Next GPS coming into my household will be an Oregon (or it's eventual replacement).

It's a pity that the Dakota didn't support WiG from the start - as this will potentially hurt WiG adoption by the masses. Hopefully this means Garmin still sees WiG as a value add and will promote it as such.

thanks for your replies.

From what I've been told the Dakota is a smaller & CHEAPER version of the Oregon. It probabl;y can't support the Wherigo player.

but as far as i know the dakota series is the newest from garmin. and the dakota 20 is the successor of oregon 300 / 400. dakota 20 is more expensive than oregon 300 and is much better ;)

the only thing missing is the Wherigo feature... but obviously garmin won't focus on that...