PN-40 Just Arrived, Must-do's for a new user?

greenzee

I've enjoyed my foray into geocaching with my Android G1, but it was time for something more robust, so Santa brought a PN-40 a bit early.

I'm transferring maps from CD to SD card as I type this, and just purchased Cache Register as well. Wondering if there are any other "best practices" to recommend for this new user? I do have a GC.com Premium Membership as well.

Is the Topo USA software a must-use?

What's the recommendation on the $29.99 per year subscription? Worth it?

I'll primarily use this for geocaching, and the occasional road trip.

Thanks all.

No, T8 is not a must-use.

The map library subscription is worth it if you want to take advantage of available aerial imagery, satellite imagery, NOAA charts, 1:24K scanned USGS topos, etc. If not, there is no point in the subscription. Some effort is involved in preparing the imagery for use on the unit. Depending on how you do it, this may involve you in T8 after all.

Lots of useful information available starting here:

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/

If you want to know more about preparing imagery for use on the PN-40, start here:

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/Selecting+Imagery

And you're always welcome to join us over here:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewforum.php?f=131

I've enjoyed my foray into geocaching with my Android G1, but it was time for something more robust, so Santa brought a PN-40 a bit early.

I'm transferring maps from CD to SD card as I type this, and just purchased Cache Register as well. Wondering if there are any other "best practices" to recommend for this new user? I do have a GC.com Premium Membership as well.

Is the Topo USA software a must-use?

What's the recommendation on the $29.99 per year subscription? Worth it?

I'll primarily use this for geocaching, and the occasional road trip.

Thanks all.

You're going to need to go through most of the menu options on the unit to set it up for geocaching.

Many of the default settings are not for caching. One biggie for me was turning on the auto-routing recalculate function in case you miss a turn...by default it does not re-calculate. You're going to really like the PN-40, but it does take some tinkering to make it work the way you want it to.

I highly recommend the map subscription, $29 gets you all the maps you can download, really a great value.

I highly recommend the map subscription, $29 gets you all the maps you can download, really a great value.

It is a great value just don't expect to download large areas of coverage in a short time. At least for the color aerials that use a lot memory and are very s--l--o--w downloading (depending on the time of day).

It is a great value just don't expect to download large areas of coverage in a short time. At least for the color aerials that use a lot memory and are very s--l--o--w downloading (depending on the time of day).

Roger that, and I'm not sure why.

However, sometimes very early in the day is much faster while late evernings are quite slow.

I think that J&R Music was selling subscription certificates for $20.

Must-dos:

Check your firmware version and update if needed. Download and install on an SD card, install, and turn on unit.

Good to have tools:

GPSBabel beta version 1.3.7 supports PN30/40 and can pull off tracks, waypoints, routes and convert to files in other formats, or convert files to output to PN.

GSAK, the geocache manager now has a beta version 7.6.2 that supports direct loading to the PNs.

Many of the default settings are not for caching. One biggie for me was turning on the auto-routing recalculate function in case you miss a turn...by default it does not re-calculate. You're going to really like the PN-40, but it does take some tinkering to make it work the way you want it to.

How do you set it to auto recalculate? That would make my PN-40 much easier to use when going from Cache to Cache![

How do you set it to auto recalculate? That would make my PN-40 much easier to use when going from Cache to Cache![

Turn on PN-40 > hit MENU button > Select ROUTES, hit ENTER > On the route page hit MENU > Select Edit ROUTE SETTINGS, Hit ENTER > Select BACK ON TRACK (DRIVING) (default is OFF) highlight it hit ENTER, Select AUTOMATIC hit ENTER and your done.

Turn on PN-40 > hit MENU button > Select ROUTES, hit ENTER > On the route page hit MENU > Select Edit ROUTE SETTINGS, Hit ENTER > Select BACK ON TRACK (DRIVING) (default is OFF) highlight it hit ENTER, Select AUTOMATIC hit ENTER and your done.

Thanks for the help. I was wishing I could get it do recalculat!! Makes me happy! :smile:

Thanks all for the responses and info. After a weekend of getting to know the little guy, I really like the PN-40. I don't like the insanely slow transfer speeds of the maps to SD, but so it goes. Topo 8 download speeds seem to be dismal at best almost anytime of the day.

I challenged the PN in the canopy at Hocking Hills State Park near Chilicothe, OH and it had some trouble. I'll give credit to the overcast skies as well, but I expected a bit better performance in the trees, based on feedback I'd read.

I've yet to lock into WAAS, even with a crystal clear sky and solid sat locks. Is that odd?

Thanks again all. I appreciate the info.

Thanks all for the responses and info. After a weekend of getting to know the little guy, I really like the PN-40. I don't like the insanely slow transfer speeds of the maps to SD, but so it goes. Topo 8 download speeds seem to be dismal at best almost anytime of the day.

You'll get better transfer speeds if you take the card out of the unit and put it in a card reader. The USB protocol used by the PN-series is pretty bad. No help for the Netlink download speeds, though.

I challenged the PN in the canopy at Hocking Hills State Park near Chilicothe, OH and it had some trouble. I'll give credit to the overcast skies as well, but I expected a bit better performance in the trees, based on feedback I'd read.

Overcast won't matter. What will matter is liquid water coating the canopy. The PN-40 is also known for having a hard time reacquiring if you lose the fix under cover.

I've yet to lock into WAAS, even with a crystal clear sky and solid sat locks. Is that odd?

Maybe, but probably not. Even with the latest 2.6 firmware, WAAS use is still not up to snuff. Check your f/w version. If you do not have the latest 2.6 RTM firmware, update it. It may help, or it may not :) You'll find links the latest firmware download here:

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/Firmware+Versions#toc7

You'll get better transfer speeds if you take the card out of the unit and put it in a card reader. The USB protocol used by the PN-series is pretty bad. No help for the Netlink download speeds, though.

Overcast won't matter. What will matter is liquid water coating the canopy. The PN-40 is also known for having a hard time reacquiring if you lose the fix under cover.

Maybe, but probably not. Even with the latest 2.6 firmware, WAAS use is still not up to snuff. Check your f/w version. If you do not have the latest 2.6 RTM firmware, update it. It may help, or it may not :) You'll find links the latest firmware download here:

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/Firmware+Versions#toc7

I checked, and do have the latest firmware.

But, oddly enough, sitting in my office here at work, transferring some maps to the unit, I look down and have full blue bars across all satellites, and "3-d W" in the upper left hand corner.

Guess it does work!

GSAK, the geocache manager now has a beta version 7.6.2 that supports direct loading to the PNs.

There is a patch (build) for GSAK, that is required for direct loading into the PN-40, which needs to be downloaded/installed as well. I don't know how to insert a link in this post...but you can click around the GSAK forums to find it.

There is a patch (build) for GSAK, that is required for direct loading into the PN-40, which needs to be downloaded/installed as well. I don't know how to insert a link in this post...but you can click around the GSAK forums to find it.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...ost&p=88625

Be sure you install 7.6.1. build 27 or better (latest production build will do) before you install the version referenced in the post.