tmobile g1 android

Bmxer11

Since the iPhone is so popular, Groundspeak decided that they were going to put their efforts into developing an app for the iPhone and not worrying about other platforms. Looks like you are going to have to deal with Cachemate.

Your opinion might be that your phone is "better than the iPhone" but that's just your opinion. I might think otherwise.

Edited by Riverwolf

... Your opinion might be that your phone is "better than the iPhone" but that's just your opinion.

In fact, its not just one opinion ...

Something to read: AppleInsider --- Multi Phone Android platform seen to overtake iPhone by 2012

so it doesnt matter what you thing about iphone or android ... there are BIG smartphone players participating Open Handset Alliance and Android is a BIG player too ...

Android is not so popular as iPhone is right now, but user base is growing very fast, and its smart to count with it right now.

Android phones available on market, btw ... and each of them is eguipped with ANDROID MARKET, where Geocaching.com application is missing. why ? who knows .. its java, you know java :-) .... its not so hard to port/optimize you app. EAsy money, and milions satisfied users. Just thing about it.

Edited by ge0rgecz

Since the iPhone is so popular, Groundspeak decided that they were going to put their efforts into developing an app for the iPhone and not worrying about other platforms. Looks like you are going to have to deal with Cachemate.

Your opinion might be that your phone is "better than the iPhone" but that's just your opinion. I might think otherwise.

I could totally be wrong here but i believe they develop the app for other platforms already, most of which are losing market share to the iPhone and Android.

List of supported platforms at Trimble Outdoors

The below link shows the current market share per mobile OS. Note this is for August 2009, before the flood of handsets that is supposed to happen later this year and early 2010.

Admob mobile market share for August 2009

I could totally be wrong here but i believe they develop the app for other platforms already, most of which are losing market share to the iPhone and Android.

List of supported platforms at Trimble Outdoors

The below link shows the current market share per mobile OS. Note this is for August 2009, before the flood of handsets that is supposed to happen later this year and early 2010.

Admob mobile market share for August 2009

As far as I have read on the forums and the Groundspeak site, Groundspeak is not developing apps for other platforms other than the iPhone. Regardless of "market share," the iPhone is wildly popular at this time and, apparently, Groundspeak doesn't want to put a lot of effort into other platforms that might come and go too quickly.

Don't blame the messenger.

When i have been without Tmobile coverage, my phone has roamed on ATT Edge with no problems. I've only seen this do so once but i was in the middle of nowhere in oklahoma.

My T-Mobile service roamed when I was in Arkansas a couple years ago too, worked great there. But Nevada is completely different than Oklahoma/Arkansas/most other states. I was up near Pioche about 6 months ago and had no cell service through T-Mobile and my phone did not "roam." My friends (on Verizon) that were camping with us had coverage and they are the reasons I switched. One of my other geocaching friends, who travels throughout our state for work, has AT&T for his personal service and no coverage in those areas, but his Verizon phone works fine.

There are several areas here in the desert southwest where the only coverage is Verizon. Perhaps the iPhone is on a different system though and would work in the same areas as Verizon

In fact, its not just one opinion ... Something to read: AppleInsider --- Multi Phone Android platform seen to overtake iPhone by 2012
That report is, again, just one opinion, that of Ken Dulaney. A guy who earns a living by making controversial pronouncements and inviting people to buy his research papers.

Technically speaking, the Android is full of rough edges. You can't just throw together a Java ap. The API is still shaking out, and the core system has so diverged from standard Linux that kernel experts don't think it has much of a future. Marketing is a disaster so far; the carriers can't or won't make the platform attractive to Joe Public.

(If I had spare time to write an ap, I would target the Palm Prē. Its marketing campaign is going well and you're not locked into the vendor's ap store.)

I would love to see a good GC app for the Android platform.

I just recently purchased the new HTC Hero from Sprint, and this phone is amazing! I also have an iPhone 3G for my small business. It's a nice phone, but isn't half as great as everyone would like you to believe. From first impressions of the Hero, and Android I think Apple may be in for a rude awakening.

Come on Groundspeak...Help us out. With carriers like Sprint, AT&T, and now Verizon offering Android phones it would be foolish to miss out this opportunity.