What's up with Certitude?

Chrysalides

Anyone knows who's running this coordinate checker? The site has been down most of tonight. It came up for a short while, and I was able to get one puzzle certified, then it croaked again. Even when working, it was flaky.

certitude.agilityhoster.com redirects to certitude.uni.cc. I noticed that they've been moving to different websites. Anyone knows the reason?

In defense of certitude I’d say that it’s the best checker I’ve seen because it supports keyword solutions. Yes, the site has had issues recently but I’m sure it will be cleared up soon. By the way, fizzy doesn’t think much of it because he didn’t contribute to the code base as with another popular checker. (at least that may be a reason)

And I do know who created certitude and I’m surprised that you don’t since you had dinner with him on Sunday.

Best regards

In defense of certitude I’d say that it’s the best checker I’ve seen because it supports keyword solutions. Yes, the site has had issues recently but I’m sure it will be cleared up soon. By the way, fizzy doesn’t think much of it because he didn’t contribute to the code base as with another popular checker. (at least that may be a reason)

And I do know who created certitude and I’m surprised that you don’t since you had dinner with him on Sunday.

Oh, I know who the author is now. I wrote this post more than a year back :( I also found out more about the cc domain. I wish I could go back to edit my original post.

I also know why Fizzy doesn't think too highly about the checker. Or at least, one of the reasons. But I believe the owner/author of the site won't abuse the trust.

How did you manage to dig up this thread? Was it because their domain name was not resolving yesterday? There's a separate domain name you can use to get access to it. I'll trade it for hints to a puzzle of yours :blink:

And I agree that Certitude is by far the most flexible checker I've used. When I get around to publishing a puzzle, that's the one I'll use.

Edited by Chrysalides
I also know why Fizzy doesn't think too highly about the checker. Or at least, one of the reasons. But I believe the owner/author of the site won't abuse the trust.

My dislike of Certitude has nothing to do with the code base, and not much to do with the fact that the results are stored. It is partly based on keyword checking, which I don't like because it encourages moon logic puzzles.

My real reason for disliking Certitude is that it lists the solvers and the order in which they solved the puzzle, thus turning puzzle caching into a competitive sport. It has brought an unwanted (to me) aspect into Bay Area puzzle caching.

I thought I would give it an honest attempt this year, so I actually really participated in the kablooey puzzle challenge, trying to solve the puzzles and get to them quickly. I found it really miserable trying to solve puzzles under time pressure, so I won't be doing that again next year.

But don't take my opinions too seriously; I have them, but I don't insist that the rest of the world conform to my idea of how things Ought To Be. I know that a lot of people like Certitude and enjoy competitive puzzle caching, so that is fine. I just don't want to be a part of that...

How did you manage to dig up this thread? Was it because their domain name was not resolving yesterday?
Yes, I dug up this thread because certitude's down again. Oh, shoot! Now I've boosted this thread for another round this year. Well, I notice that at least people don't seem to pile on certitude even when it flakes out every other year, so I guess that's an implicit testimonial for it.

Seriously, I just put out my first puzzle cache and used certitude because that's what I saw the cool puzzle creators doing. Now a couple days later certitude goes belly up. Half of me is thinking it must be all my fault, the other half of me is wondering why I didn't listen to the wisdom of fizzymagic. I seem to make that mistake too often...

How did you manage to dig up this thread? Was it because their domain name was not resolving yesterday?
Yes, I dug up this thread because certitude's down again. Oh, shoot! Now I've boosted this thread for another round this year. Well, I notice that at least people don't seem to pile on certitude even when it flakes out every other year, so I guess that's an implicit testimonial for it.

Seriously, I just put out my first puzzle cache and used certitude because that's what I saw the cool puzzle creators doing. Now a couple days later certitude goes belly up. Half of me is thinking it must be all my fault, the other half of me is wondering why I didn't listen to the wisdom of fizzymagic. I seem to make that mistake too often...

Certitude is down as noted in the profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?u=certitude

All geocheckers go down from time to time. I had the same problem when I used geocheck.org, geochecker.com, etc... Just need to be patient and live with it.