Garmin Etrex Legend HC vs. Vista HCx

I'm looking at buying my first GPS unit for geocaching. I have been reading quite a bit about different units to learn as much as I can and I'm looking at a couple of units.

I see the Vista HCx bundle on Cabelas for $199! It comes with the new Vista HCx, TOPO 8, memory card and case, but they are out of them and it will take 2-3 weeks before they get them back in stock.

I have also read about the Venture HC. It seems like a good unit, but I have read a complaint from a number of people about the unit pointing north when you get close to the target and stop moving, which makes it hard to locate the cache. I can get one of these used for under $100, but it won't come with any TOPO software.

I would really like to get the Vista HCx, but I hate to have to wait 3 weeks and I'm not completely sure if they will have it when they say.

How does the Legend HC compare to the Vista HCx? Also, is there anywhere else besides Cabelas that might have a similar deal on this unit or something comparable?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Edited by strohman1965

The Venture HC (Legend HCx is a different unit) has the same performance and functions as the Vista.

The Venture HC does not have a slot for a memory card. This will drive you nuts if you want to load topos because the internal memory for loading maps is really small. I tried one for half an hour and sent it back as soon as I found out how restrictive this was for me.

The Venture HC does not have the electronic compass and barometer. If you want a compass that will work even when you are standing still, you need the Vista.

The Legend HCx is in between. It has the memory card slot but it does not have the electronic compass and barometer.

...ken...

I'm looking at buying my first GPS unit for geocaching. I have been reading quite a bit about different units to learn as much as I can and I'm looking at a couple of units.

I see the Vista HCx bundle on Cabelas for $199! It comes with the new Vista HCx, TOPO 8, memory card and case, but they are out of them and it will take 2-3 weeks before they get them back in stock.

I have also read about the Venture HC. It seems like a good unit, but I have read a complaint from a number of people about the unit pointing north when you get close to the target and stop moving, which makes it hard to locate the cache. I can get one of these used for under $100, but it won't come with any TOPO software.

I would really like to get the Vista HCx, but I hate to have to wait 3 weeks and I'm not completely sure if they will have it when they say.

How does the Legend HC compare to the Vista HCx? Also, is there anywhere else besides Cabelas that might have a similar deal on this unit or something comparable?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Amazon has the Vista HCx for $229. You can even get it delivered to you on Monday if you want. I have purchased two units from Amazon in the past year. Get your case for another $10 too. Get free topos from gpsfiledepot.com

Edited by guggie