100k and 24k topos combined?

RangerR47

Ok so reading some threads, I see some complain that the 24k is more detailed, yet for instance has less trail data than 100k maps. Can you have both showing at the same time to get the best of both? I dont have 24k maps or I would test this out....I would consider getting them if this was possible tho. I have a feeling one will trump the other and make it so you cant have both active if I had to guess, but had to ask...

Ok so reading some threads, I see some complain that the 24k is more detailed, yet for instance has less trail data than 100k maps. Can you have both showing at the same time to get the best of both? I dont have 24k maps or I would test this out....I would consider getting them if this was possible tho. I have a feeling one will trump the other and make it so you cant have both active if I had to guess, but had to ask...

Yes, you can have 24k and 100k active at the same time...at least I can on my Colorado 400t...so, what I'm saying is it might depend on what brand/model GPS you own.

BTW, you can get some FREE 24k data at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com to try for yourself.

Yes, you can have 24k and 100k active at the same time...at least I can on my Colorado 400t...so, what I'm saying is it might depend on what brand/model GPS you own.

BTW, you can get some FREE 24k data at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com to try for yourself.

Nice I have a Colorado 300 so will have to try this out, thanks. I have the free maps from gpsfiledepot didnt even think about those being 24k.

A point of clarification, while you can have 100K and 24K active at the same time, you cannot see them at the same time. The 24K maps (and City Navigator) will cover the 100K maps. The best choice is the 24K maps and a transparent trail map.

Not 100% accurate...but you're really close! :rolleyes:

On my Colorado...although the City Navigator maps cover the 100k basemap the DEM data contained in the 100k data will shade the City Navigator maps to show terrain elevation. :wacko:

Same thing with the 24k data from GPSFileDepot (Florida)...the DEM data contained in the 100k data still shades the terrain elevation changes.

So, different map combinations behave differently and depends if the map is transparent or not...and some of these combinations may also depend on the GPS you're using.

I also have some trail maps I have created...the float on top of everything else. :D

However, back to your 100k / 24k topo statement...although you can't SEE both, there are still benefits to having both. If you have a Colorado/Oregon 400t that ships with 100k topo data, you could load 24k topo for a particular region to gain the higher resolution AND the routing in those areas while still having 100k topo data for areas not covered by the 24k topo.

Edited by fegan

That is correct. However, having DEM enabled makes the map significantly harder to see outside. So I only use DEM shading when needed (which is not very often). Also the 125K maps are draw then covered up. So they slow down the draw time. So generally you do not want them on. In fact, with the bug in the version 3 firmware that keeps turning on the 125K maps, I disabled the maps so I have no access to them now. I hope garmin fixes the bug as I like having the option.