Garmin eTrex Legend HCx

Grindhouse

I’m so new to this hobby that I haven’t even went on my own hunt yet. A friend of mine installed a program on his blackberry, and we searched for a local cache. I hadn’t even heard of geocaching before that.

Anyway, I was at our local Sports Authority today, and they had the Garmin eTrex Legend HCX on sale for $219. So, I bought it.

I don’t know anything about this unit. Someone make me feel good about the purchase. Did I make a good choice?

Edited by Grindhouse

I have a 60csx and both my daughters have the Legend HCX. Their units work fine with no problems. Only thing I noticed is that when the battery starts to get a little low, the unit sometimes shuts off unexpectedly. Just keep extra batteries with you and you will be fine.

It's got my vote, too! I have one and love it! I got it at an after-Thanksgiving sale for $180 + tax at a local outdoors store.

The only drawback of the eTrex line is that the rubber "band" around outside of the unit will come off eventually. Be prepared to glue it back on. Other than that, a great unit.

It's got my vote, too! I have one and love it! I got it at an after-Thanksgiving sale for $180 + tax at a local outdoors store.

The only drawback of the eTrex line is that the rubber "band" around outside of the unit will come off eventually. Be prepared to glue it back on. Other than that, a great unit.

I have an eight year old Vista (maybe ten) and a six year old Legend, I've never had a problem with the band. Maybe because I use the soft case. (whatever you call those things)

I’m so new to this hobby that I haven’t even went on my own hunt yet. A friend of mine installed a program on his blackberry, and we searched for a local cache. I hadn’t even heard of geocaching before that.

Anyway, I was at our local Sports Authority today, and they had the Garmin eTrex Legend HCX on sale for $219. So, I bought it.

I don’t know anything about this unit. Someone make me feel good about the purchase. Did I make a good choice?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that unit, but I would agree with Red90 in that you can probably find it for less than the $219 that you paid at Sports Authority. :D

I second that opinion... However do NOT glue it back while you are within the warranty period. I got a brand new unit when my rubber came loose.

Edited by kallt_kaffe